The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Belle Meade is not made in TN.

This is what I got into tonight. Prichard's Double Chocolate and Belle Meade Bourbon. Really like the Prichard's. The Belle Meade isn't my favorite, I don't know that I'd buy another bottle, but it's local to Nashville anyway. udysevu3.jpg

if it was, they couldn't legally call it bourbon, right?

Bourbon does not need to be made in Bourbon County KY any longer to be called bourbon.  FWIW the Belle Meade is made in the heart of bourbon country,  

Lawrenceburg Indiana.  heh

According to the bottle it's distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN and bottled in Nashville, TN. Still close enough for me. I work with a guy who has personal connections to the guys that make the stuff.

Yep not distilled here abouts.  I seriously doubt you know distillers in Indiana

gonna throw my $0.02 in the ring.  Newbie in the bourbon/whiskey world but coming up fast.

a few of my favorites are:

Knob Creek--both standard 9 yr. small batch and single barrel

Woodford Reserve

Maker's 46

gonna soon try some Angel's Envy, 1792, Bowman's, Basil Haydens and a few others I got my eye on.

FWIW. . .I also enjoy JD (Gentleman Jack), George Dickel (white label), Bulleit Bourbon is OK as well as basic Maker's Mark. 

Edited by sschrick
[quote name="sschrick" post="1117286" timestamp="1393467199"] [size=5][font=arial][sub]FWIW. . .I also enjoy JD (Gentleman Jack), George Dickel (white label), Bulleit Bourbon is OK as well as basic Maker's Mark. [/sub][/font][/size][/quote] Try Dickel Barrel select it's a great value
  • Like 1

This may sound like blasphemy, but I was finally able to try some Pappy 15yr the other night at Hennen's in Chattanooga.  It was distinctive, but I can't say it was better than Weller 107.  Even if they carried the same price tag. 

That said, I'll definitely give it another go if I see some and I would like to try the older varieties as well.

Oh, and if anyone knows where to get some Weller 12 anywhere around Chattanooga or Knoxville, please let me know as I've been wanting to try some.

Edited by sigmtnman
[quote name="sigmtnman" post="1117404" timestamp="1393503380"]This may sound like blasphemy, but I was finally able to try some Pappy 15yr the other night at Hennen's in Chattanooga. It was distinctive, but I can't say it was better than Weller 107. Even if they carried the same price tag. That said, I'll definitely give it another go if I see some and I would like to try the older varieties as well. Oh, and if anyone knows where to get some Weller 12 anywhere around Chattanooga or Knoxville, please let me know as I've been wanting to try some.[/quote] I have a bottle of Pappy 15 ie yet to open, I'll have to try and review McScrooges on Cedar Bluff had Weller 12 a couple weeks ago.
  • Like 1

The local distributor is currently out of Weller 12. Of course that can change at anytime.  It sells very fast.

The Pappy left me unimpressed, tried all of them.

Some of you boubon lovers might want to give Noah's Mill a try,  it gets a lot of good customer feedback.  Another good one is Corner Creek, if you can find it.

[quote name="Mike.357" post="1117498" timestamp="1393520524"]The local distributor is currently out of Weller 12. Of course that can change at anytime. It sells very fast. The Pappy left me unimpressed, tried all of them. Some of you boubon lovers might want to give Noah's Mill a try, it gets a lot of good customer feedback. Another good one is Corner Creek, if you can find it.[/quote] Folks have figured out that weller 12 is grade b pappy, and it sells fast. I'm not a fan of noahs mill or cornet creek - both seemed to have a vegetal flavor. I'm just a fan of the wheated bourbons i guess ;)
  • 2 weeks later...

I sold a bottle of Ocean to a guy last Friday.  I commented that I had not tasted it but it interested me.  He insisted I take it into the back, open it and give it a taste. I protested commenting on the price and all. He said sharing it is half the fun of buying it, so I gave it a try.

I thought it very good.  To me it seemed very soft on the front end with a little bit of bite on the finish.  I think it must have a fair amount of rye in it due the how it finished.  Overall I liked it a lot.  To my taste it was way way better than Pappy.

We got some Weller 12 in this week . I don't expect it to last very long.  FWIW Distillers Pride comes from the same distillery.  This is a budget bourbon that is very much overlooked by bourbon fans as it comes in a PET bottle.  Might be worth having in the liquor cabinet for the times your mooching friends show up.

I am not sure what vegetal means in relation to whisky.  The Corner Creek did not taste like a vegetable to me.  It is soft and easy drinking, with a nice finish that is soft.  It is slightly sweet and did not have a bad oaky kick to it.  But we all taste different things in bourbon.  The Corner Creek I have had several times and I put it in the same class as Woodford Reserve.  Definitely one of my fav's.  Supposedly they are bottling it again and it should reappear in the market again soon.

Edited by Mike.357
[quote name="semiautots" post="1125000" timestamp="1394906018"]Cool Springs Wine in Franklin has Old Weller Antique 107 for $25 a bottle. You have to ask the whiskey guy for it.[/quote] Thats pretty sad that plain OWA 107 is hidden from view. Its ok, but the Weller 12 is far superior. And Pappy? Fughhedaboutit!

We have Weller 107 on the shelf all the time.  It is not hard to keep in stock. Not like the 12 year old.  I don't know the price off the top of my head as it is not a big seller.

If any of you like flavored vodka, Deep Eddy has come out with Cranberry vodka and it is really good stuff.  They also have unflavored, Ruby Red and Sweet Tea.  All very good stuff.

Deep Eddy is made in Austin TX.  There is another vodka called Tito's.  Tito and Eddy were partners at one time.  They had some falling out and Eddy started his own distillery.  It is less expensive than Tito's and is a quality product.  Give it a try.

Guest semiautots

A little score at the local shop this morning.

They had a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve.  Anyone had it?  It was $50, so a bit on the high side.

GU6A7321_zps82aecffe.jpg

Had the Jefferson Presidential Select 18 Year Old at the Hermitage Hotel last weekend. Very nice, smooth and a great taste, although very expensive. Not worth the hype, imho. Been enjoying Angel's Envy and Woodford Double Oaked recently. So many more to sample. Appreciate reading everyone's reviews.

I just picked up a bottle of the Jefferson Very Small Batch. They did a nice job with this one. I first started drinking this label about 3 years ago or so. I think their product has continued to improve.