The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Anybody tried anything new lately? I've been sticking to the standards: Elijah Creek with the occasional Jefferson's thrown in. Did manage to pick up 2 bottles of Eagle Rare. Need some suggestions to help a buddy celebrate a new baby. Any good ideas?

where did you find Eagle Rare?  

We have a new bourbon,  it is Calumet Farms.  The color is perfect.  NO clue how it tastes or where it is distilled.  The fine print is so fine I can't read it.  I can't hardly believe it makes no mention of the distiller.  Only mention of anything about that is it is bottled by a company for another company.  Retails for about 45 bucks.

Had a good laugh today,  someone called wanting to know if we had Pappy,  then wanting to know if I knew where they could get any.   I simply replied that no we had none, I doubt there is any to be had in East TN for a fair price.  I recommended Noah's Mill as a better option.

We did get some Elmer T Lee Reserve a week or so ago.  I about fell over when I saw the one bottle on our shelf.  It lasted thirty minutes into my shift that day.  Sold it to the first customer who asked for a recommendation.

The Ky Derby Woodford Reserve is available.  Nice looking label.

Frugal MacDoogal in Nashville has had Eagle Rare the last few times I went in. I found a smaller 375 mL bottle at a local joint in Nashville for my first tasting of it and really liked it. Picked up 2 normal size bottles from Frugal the next time I saw it. I've heard a lot of good things about the Noah's Mill. Been thinking of trying and just might get some for the buddy. I've asked around about Pappy's a lot, and the overwhelming opinion I've heard is that it's over rated compared to some other options available. I've never tried it so I can't speak for myself. What do you think about Angel's Envy? The Rye or standard? Did you get to try any of the recent Jack Daniel's Rye release?

we have plenty of the Jack Rye stuff.  I am sure it is crap like all their other products.  It is similar to Jose Cuervo in regards to it all being about advertising,  throw Bacardi into that mix.

I firmly believe that Eagle Rare and Blanton's are being held back to make it more Pappy like in regards to demand.  Kind of ,  "if you can't find it it must be the best out there."

No doubt Eagle and Blanton's as well as Elmer T Lee are very good bourbons,  same with Weller 12.   but no one can justify why it is not readily available.

In the past all of these were easy to get,  now not so much.

I figure they are trying to raise the price or raise demand by making it hard to get.

If Angels Envy was so good why do they mess with it by finishing it in Sherry Casks or Rum Barrels?   That in itself tells me it can't stand on it's own merit.

The Jefferson  "Ocean" is very good,  not sure it is worth the price, but it is really good stuff.

Edited by Mike.357
Good point about the Angel's Envy. I broke down and bought a swig out tonight. It was ok, but not worth what they charge for a whole bottle. If I remember correctly in Nashville it's 60-70 dollar price point, closer to 80-85 for the rye. I too like the Ocean. Have a bottle that I finally opened and have put in the back of the stack so I'll keep my hands off it. You ever run across any Jefferson's Presidential Select? Haven't been able to find a bottle of that to purchase or sample from. Haven't had a hard time finding Blanton's around Nashville, although the price does seem to be creeping up a bit. Word around here is the producers "didn't expect this kind of demand back when they were barreling it" however many years back. I don't work in the industry, but that seems pretty weak to me ...

Anybody tried anything new lately? I've been sticking to the standards: Elijah Creek with the occasional Jefferson's thrown in. Did manage to pick up 2 bottles of Eagle Rare. Need some suggestions to help a buddy celebrate a new baby. Any good ideas?

It's been quite a time since I tried anything new.  After getting a little range time this morning, I may have to see what I can find. :yum:

• Administrator

Michter's American Unblended.  Absolutely amazing.

Guest sigequinox
It's all about that bourbon. Good old American whiskey. Woodford reserve, bulliet, rebellion,knobb creek are some of my favorites. Some prefer bourbon room temperature , I prefer it on the rocks. Enjoy.
[quote name="sigequinox" post="1143017" timestamp="1398520170"]It's all about that bourbon. Good old American whiskey. Woodford reserve, bulliet, rebellion,knobb creek are some of my favorites. Some prefer bourbon room temperature , I prefer it on the rocks. Enjoy.[/quote] I too prefer mine with an ice cube or two.
Guest sigequinox

I have a set of whiskey stones. They are reusable. They take a little longer to chill the whiskey than ice, but dont water it down at all. Overall a good $20 (with shipping) investment.

I currently use those gigantic square ice cubes (less surface area= less dilution) but will have to look into getting those stones.

• Administrator

I have a set of whiskey stones. They are reusable. They take a little longer to chill the whiskey than ice, but dont water it down at all. Overall a good $20 (with shipping) investment.

I'm usually a room-temperature whiskey sort of guy, but a friend gave me some Whiskey Stones a while back and I use them periodically.  They work great!

• Like 1

I'm usually a room-temperature whiskey sort of guy, but a friend gave me some Whiskey Stones a while back and I use them periodically.  They work great!

I store all my whiskey at room temp, but actually prefer it chilled so I use mine quite often. Another good item to acquire for the whiskey aficionado are some of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Private-Preserve-Preservation-Spray/dp/B001AS4NCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398645996&sr=8-1&keywords=private+preserve+wine+preserver

I keep several bottles of whiskey on hand at a time, so sometimes it may take a few months to drink a whole bottle. That stuff does a great job of killing all the oxygen in the bottle before you close it back up. Especially when a bottle gets way down to 1/4 or so left, the oxygen in there really starts to deteriorate the whiskey. The preservation spray will make a 1-2 month old bottle of opened whiskey taste just like the day you opened it if you use it every time you pour.  :up:

• Like 1
[quote name="reed1285" post="1143510" timestamp="1398646215"]I store all my whiskey at room temp, but actually prefer it chilled so I use mine quite often. Another good item to acquire for the whiskey aficionado are some of these... [url="http://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Private-Preserve-Preservation-Spray/dp/B001AS4NCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398645996&sr=8-1&keywords=private+preserve+wine+preserver"]http://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Private-Preserve-Preservation-Spray/dp/B001AS4NCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398645996&sr=8-1&keywords=private+preserve+wine+preserver[/url] I keep several bottles of whiskey on hand at a time, so sometimes it may take a few months to drink a whole bottle. That stuff does a great job of killing all the oxygen in the bottle before you close it back up. Especially when a bottle gets way down to 1/4 or so left, the oxygen in there really starts to deteriorate the whiskey. The preservation spray will make a 1-2 month old bottle of opened whiskey taste just like the day you opened it if you use it every time you pour. :up:[/quote] Thats interesting - i actually think bourbon gets better as the level drops in the bottle and it gets some air
[quote name="Mike.357" post="1144556" timestamp="1398888369"]Canadian whisky is rye[/quote] Have you tried the whistle pig? Haven't gotten much into Rye Whiskey (besides the occasional crown, which is Canadian). What would be a good one to start with? Have heard good things about W-Pig, but at $75 a bottle locally it doesn't seem like what I'd start with.

IMHO most Canadian whiskey = very overrated, and they are popular largely due to longtime market presence (since prohibition) and heavy advertising.  I know there's probably some good small-batch stuff out there, but for $75 I'd rather spend it on a good single-malt scotch or single barrel bourbon.

Apologies to those of you who like that Canadian rye stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

So I had a glass of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked at a bar last night. I was so amazed at how good this bourbon is. It's got a smooth caramel and vanilla front and a slightly bitter oaky burn on the back. I like original Woodford but this stuff was so good that I'm buying a bottle the next time I get to a liquor store. Great stuff. a3y7yme2.jpg

Have you tried the whistle pig? Haven't gotten much into Rye Whiskey (besides the occasional crown, which is Canadian). What would be a good one to start with? Have heard good things about W-Pig, but at $75 a bottle locally it doesn't seem like what I'd start with.

have never had Whistle Pig,  We don't carry it.   Rye whiskies are making a big comeback.  Ten years ago we sold Old Overholt.  Now that is no longer on our shelves.  I might give Bulleit Rye a try if I was forced to choose.

I am not paying 75 bucks for a bottle of much of anything.

So I had a glass of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked at a bar last night. I was so amazed at how good this bourbon is. It's got a smooth caramel and vanilla front and a slightly bitter oaky burn on the back. I like original Woodford but this stuff was so good that I'm buying a bottle the next time I get to a liquor store. Great stuff. a3y7yme2.jpg

keep an eye out for their Four Oak.  I have not seen it lately,  I am sure it will come around again though.  IIRC it is about 100 beans a bottle.

And just as a heads up for anyone,  if you see Blanton's, buy it,  and Elmer T Lee buy it.  Next to impossible to get now from wholesalers.

Just about anything coming from Buffalo Trace ( aside from BT) is going to be allocated,  They are trying to copy Van Winkle and drive demand and price by limiting release.  

• Like 1