The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

[quote name="peejman" post="1174540" timestamp="1406894685"]Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 yr several months ago but only recently opened it. It's really good. Nice and smooth without much bite. Not as much burn as I expected for 94 proof either. Moderately priced... I think I got it on sale for about $32. :up: elijah-craig-kentucky-straight-bourbon-w[/quote] One of my favorites and always have a bottle on hand. If you ever get to try the barrel proof version it's also delicious. The bottles I have are 134 proof so it's got some burn, but still full of flavor.

Not a bad idea - i had a friend over the other day who poured himself a double of william larue weller (131 proof). Then decided it was too hot for him and tossed a bunch of ice cubes in the glass! I told him he was a pu$$y and that he would have to leave if he ever did that again!

We had a bottle of Sinatra.  I sold it Saturday.  Shelf price was 149.99. It comes in a Liter bottle.

I anticipate we will get another case this week.

Where did you find it so cheap?  I say "cheap" because I finally found it at the liquor store off exit 398 and they want $299! :stunned:

I don't feel like driving to Lynchburg for it.... tho it would be a good excuse to take a tour.

[quote name="NextExit" post="1180965" timestamp="1408408211"]Where did you find it so cheap? I say "cheap" because I finally found it at the liquor store off exit 398 and they want $299! :stunned: I don't feel like driving to Lynchburg for it.... tho it would be a good excuse to take a tour.[/quote] If you ever make it to Nashville I can tell you a place that still has several of last years Sinatra's sitting on the shelf. Same price $149.
  • 4 weeks later...

I just picked up everything. For those that want to play along at home. (21 an up). You need the following. Sky Vodka(my be substituted with Grey Goose) Kahlua Mudslide, vanilla ice(my be substituted with heath klondike bars) Hershey chocolate syrup (no substitution) and a blender.

I purchased a bottle of Elmer T Lee tonight.  It retails for about 32 bucks.  Elmer passed away and this spirit was absent from our shelves since before Christmas.

If you like light, sweet and soft bourbon I can't recommend it enough.  No burn,  great sour mash flavor and extremely soft.  Extremely.  It makes Woodford seem like Old Granddad.

Unfortunately Elmer passed and the recipe was in one place only.  His head.  I have been told that Master Distiller's are trying to reverse engineer his recipe, Good luck with that.  I suppose they have several years worth of product still aging.  No one but Elmer will know for sure.

Buy it if you see it.  Probably lost for the ages now. 

A small local store got four bottles in. My buddy bought one, I bought three. The clerk looked at me like I had two heads. My favorite, for sure. Rowan's Creek was something of a suitable substitute.

I will check my store this week for Elmer T Lee.  I have several stores and might get lucky.  A review like that from Mike, it must be good.

Elmer is credited with the revival of bourbon, more specifically, he "introduced the single barrel bourbon concept to the world with Blanton’s Single Barrel Bourbon." If I'm not mistaken, the Elmer T. Lee stuff is from barrels he personally selected for his brand. Beyond Blanton's, I have a difficult time finding others I like as much as the Elmer T. Lee bourbon.

Edited to add: Just found this link to an interview with Elmer, part of an oral history project. Just now listening to it, but he was a B-29 crew member in WWII, and he started out in the whiskey business as a maintenance manager at Buffalo Trace.

Edited by JWinTN

wow Elijah 23, you did not hold back,  review it for us.  We have a case, well five bottles still anyway.  it is a bit pricey.

I did not know Elmer was part of Blanton.  Blanton when available is over 60 beans.  Elmer at 32 is now a steal.

My day was made when I found out we got in a case of Appleton 12 year old Friday.   Brought a bottle home tonight.  It is my favorite spirit in this world.   I am stashing another one on Monday.  I am rum guy first and foremost. This is a bottle of Mothers Milk for me.  My Holy Grail is Appleton 21, only way to get any is to go to Jamaica.  And then maybe,  just maybe.  We have not had it in a year.  It is a real treat.

Strong notes of vanilla,  a hint of caribbean spices.  The oak is soft and smooth.  Just a smidge of smoke.  The molasses is sweet on the start and gives way to effects of 12 years of oak. Close my eyes, take a sip and I feel an ocean breeze. Makes my eyes roll back in my head.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried this one tonight, Larceny, it's new to me ... found it at the local, they wanted $25 for it and it's for a $10 mail in rebate so worth it to me. I like it so far. Haven't gotten too much into wheated bourbon so there's that.
At first some butterscotch and a touch of cinnamon, more caramel in the middle but some astringent-y wood notes that have become harder to find the more the bottle is open. I like it with a cube which has helped get rid of some of those harsh notes to me. At 92 proof it's where I like my bourbon for tasting sake, not getting sloshed sake. Might be worth a try if you can find some with the rebate tag.
y5yzuzyv.jpg

GOOD NEWS! My doctors says I can have two drinks of whiskey every night. "Do I have too?" He said I didn't but I could if I wanted to. So now I have to decide what kind.  I used to like George Dickel because it had a distinct woody flavor. Jack Daniels has that pepper after taste.

After reviewing this post maybe I should try some Kentucky Bourbon. I haven't had a drink in months.  

GOOD NEWS! My doctors says I can have two drinks of whiskey every night. "Do I have too?" He said I didn't but I could if I wanted to. So now I have to decide what kind. I used to like George Dickel because it had a distinct woody flavor. Jack Daniels has that pepper after taste.
After reviewing this post maybe I should try some Kentucky Bourbon. I haven't had a drink in months.

Get some Dickle Barrel Select. Put it I a glass with a little ice...done!
  • Like 2

With all the good reports of Elmer T. Lee, I'll be on the lookout. I've got an older bottling (Bardstown Bourbon Festival) but it has got the late Mr. Lee's signature attached to the back. Trying to keep that one unopened. Posting a couple of pics - especially since I've overcome some technical glitches with photo posting  : )

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-14%2Bat%2B12.18.

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-14%2Bat%2B12.19.

Got to try some awesome whiskey at the Nashville Whiskey Festival over the weekend.  

The star of the show in my opinion was the Jack Daniel's Frank Sinatra bottle (the girls serving it were easy on the eyes as well  :crazy: ). 
I have a bottle of this, but have never opened it because of the price ... I may be changing my mind, if I can get the wife to sign-off on purchasing another bottle. 

Also got to try the Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary, it was pretty delicious stuff.  The best part of this booth was the fact that Mr. Russell (WT Master Distiller) was there to talk about it.  This stuff was really good, but not something I want to pay what its going in Nashville for (~$130).  I also tried the WT Rare Breed for the first time and really enjoyed it as well.

For me, the best non-ultra-premium offering was the Elmer T. Lee.  I've never tried it before, but will certainly keep an eye out for a bottle of this soon.  

There was also a lot of scotch at the event, and I don't care for scotch that much, so there may have been "better" stuff there, but it wasn't for me.  

Got to try some awesome whiskey at the Nashville Whiskey Festival over the weekend ..... For me, the best non-ultra-premium offering was the Elmer T. Lee.

Another ETL "two thumbs up!" With the noise level building like it is, it will be the next "VanWinkle-like" scavenger hunt! ; ) Edited by Djay3

Pappy should be out in a few weeks or so.

Have not seen ETL in a while now.  

Another one that has taken off as of late is Evan Williams Single Barrel.   Now it is hard to get.

The demand for bourbon has increased worldwide,  lots of it goes to Japan where it commands a premium price and they pay it.

Pappy should be out in a few weeks or so.

Have not seen ETL in a while now.

Another one that has taken off as of late is Evan Williams Single Barrel. Now it is hard to get.

The demand for bourbon has increased worldwide, lots of it goes to Japan where it commands a premium price and they pay it.

Have you seen any of the BTAC in your parts? I don't have my hopes up for any Pappy but would love to get my hands on some Eagle Rare 17. Ever had any of the stuff?

no Buffalo Trace Antique yet.  I am sure we would have it if it was available

We get the ER 17 on occasion. 

I sold the last bottle of Elijah 23 the other day.  I hope we get more.  We do have the Wild Turkey Diamond in stock.

and for you Whisky Mary's Jack Daniels Honey came out with a free flask co pack,  there is no upcharge for it.  Unusual for JD.