The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Let me know what you think of B-house. Have a bottle but haven't opened it yet.

Hersh if you like Jack D and ever make it into Nashville, Frugal has a delicious Jack Daniel's Single Barrell store pick right now. They've got two on the shelf but you'll want the one with barrel # ending in 33.

First impression of barterhouse was that it felt like novocaine dripped inside my mouth. Weird lip numbing feeling. After that it definitely had oaky characteristics - not overly sweet. felt more like a scotch to me. Will try again but i will probably not a buyer again.

As far as jack D, never was a fan of any of their products. Just not my flavor profile

so I hope im not the only guy around here that likes egg nog this time of year. what whiskey are you guys using? I'm trying to find a good combo. I've drank the Evan Williams pre mixed egg nog and it's not all that bad :hiding: but I want a more civilized whiskey to mix my own with haha. I know Southern Comfort tends to be a good choice, what else?

I like woodford or makers in my nog - or even some dark rum
I hated egg nog all my life. Then sampled some from "homestead creamery" at earthfare grocery in Knoxville for another try, I now keep a bottle in the fridge all holiday season. It's awesome straight up, anything added only makes it better. Even makes a mean French toast.
This wasn't much about the spirits, just wanted to share the mixer. Edited by pieslinger
  • Like 1

the premix eggnog is a big seller.  Most brands use rum, brandy and bourbon in their concoction.  Now there is absolutely no telling the quality in the mixing spirits.  I am pretty sure the hootch is all distilled in Bardstown or Frankfort or the like.  It comes from no exotic location and is aged to the bare minimum.  Also none of the premix gives any notation to how much is used.  My guess is it has a drop of rum and brandy and the balance is the cheap swill bourbon they make especially for this stuff.

Met Mrs pieslinger tonight.  Sent her home with a 10 year old Rip and a bottle of Elmer.    Dunno where the Elmer came from but we got 18 bottles today.  I think there are 6 left,  maybe.  One came home with me!  :)  Shelf price on ETL is 32.95.  OTD on the Rip is about 60 bucks.

I work Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights this week yet.  I can probably be helpful if you want a ten year Rip.  Ask for me and be discreet.

pieslinger got lucky.  His wife just happened to ask about some bourbons and showed me the text with brand name requests.  I saw my name in one of them, LOL.  If she just asked anyone else she might not have seen the Rip.

Anyway,  come in, ask for Mike just look for the old fat guy.  Be discreet and I might can help you with something special.

I am going to see if I can put a few bottles of Rip on the shelf just to see what happens.  I bet the first bourbon dork in the door will grab all three.  (note I use the word dork with lots of love,  it is not a put down.)

If I was one of you's guys I'd be in early as possible tomorrow and ask any clerk about ETL.  I am sure there is some left.

• 3 weeks later...

Ole Smokey Charred 105 proof isn't bad for moonshine.

BTW, anything that is taxed by my personal definition is NOT MOONSHINE.

Anyone remember the movie that used to play on TBS, the moonrunners.  It is what the Dukes of Hazard was based on.

Picked this up the other day.  They were having a tasting and it is pretty good for a lower priced bourbon.

[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/77883F9A-C9C0-456C-A49A-8BDD32A7A03A_zpsjheoj9qj.jpg.html]77883F9A-C9C0-456C-A49A-8BDD32A7A03A_zps[/URL]

I put Pyrat rum into my eggnog. It's delicious.

So on that note, I love a great single malt Scotch. Glenfiddich and Arran are my go to's and need to be at least 18yo typically. 2010's Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix was supurb. Went through 5 bottles of that while it was available and have one left for the collection. Arran's The Devil's Punchbowl is great too. I discovered this after they released #2. Wish I would have found it when #1 was out for the complete collection of #1, #2, #3.

Me and a couple buddies hit up a barrel proof tasting the other night. Tried small amounts of each neat, then with some water. Blinded them to each other so we could be as objective as possible.
George T Stagg - 128.2
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof - 134.8
ECBP - 132.4
GTS Jr. - 132.2
Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength - 110
E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof - 135.4

Our results (favorite to least favorite):
GTS, FR1B, ECBP 134, EHTBP, ECBP 132, GTS Jr.

Finished the evening off with small pours of EC23. Didn't include that in the samples above, but it would have placed 5th.

8AC549A4-5323-4679-9BD9-754086E7F46D_zps

• Like 2

I got extremely lucky, and stumbled upon a smokin' deal on this rare beauty tonight. It's 1970's Jack Daniel's Gold Medal 10" Fancy Decanter. It's even more rare to find one with the stopper/shot glass (not the glass to the left of the decanter) intact. I have zero need for it, but couldn't pass up the deal.

f5e9abdcf7fdd06a5eec7f27d2199cd3_zps92cf

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1

I sold the last bottle of 20 year old Pappy Saturday night.  IIRC it was 207 otd.   Nice couple who had dropped a couple of bills on a split case and also got a bottle of Calumet Bourbon.   

We talked bourbon for a minute and he seemed like and ideal candidate for the 20 year old.   He looked like he won the lottery.  

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 3

I sold the last bottle of 20 year old Pappy Saturday night. IIRC it was 207 otd. Nice couple who had dropped a couple of bills on a split case and also got a bottle of Calumet Bourbon.

We talked bourbon for a minute and he seemed like and idea candidate for the 20 year old. He looked like he won the lottery.

Wow nice. I assumed it would have been long gone by now. Nice reward for loyal patron.

there are still a couple of bottles of Van Winkle Family 13 Year Old Rye i think.  It seemed overpriced compared to other ryes.  I think ( and may be wrong) it is in the neighborhood of 120 bucks.

bet it is awesome though.

Had some Whistlepig Rye last week.   It comes out once a year in small quantity then it is done for the year.  It was almost too smooth and light.  

there are still a couple of bottles of Van Winkle Family 13 Year Old Rye i think. It seemed overpriced compared to other ryes. I think ( and may be wrong) it is in the neighborhood of 120 bucks.

bet it is awesome though.

Had some Whistlepig Rye last week. It comes out once a year in small quantity then it is done for the year. It was almost too smooth and light.

Dang - why do you have to be so far away!
The Van winkle rye is most excellent - wish i could get a bottle

I had the whistlepig as well and agree with you. But i like that because i am not a "harsh rye" kind of guy
I too prefer a smooth rye.
One of the smoothest I've had in awhile is this year's EH Taylor Straight Rye. Definitely some hints of sweetness with well balanced rye deliciousness. Especially compared to my bottle of Russel's Reserve Rye this one is much smoother. I'll be stashing it away in an effort to make it last longer.
I also have a bottle of the Angel's Envy Rye I haven't tried yet, but am expecting it to be great from reviews by trusted friends.

Weller 12 in the house. 29.99 750ml 49.95 1.75l

Stuff is flying off the shelf. Sold near half of what we got in today.

If you want it don't waste time.

it is wonderful btw

Got me some today on our Pre-holiday trip to Knoxville. Appreciate the heads up and the chat as always

Also picked up the Whistle Pig Rye so I'll be giving that a report soon. Edited by Lumber_Jack