The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Weller 12 is all gone.

Nice to see you today Fuji,  someone out west is getting some good stuff!

It's all thanks to you Mike :up:

Great to see you again as well. And now that I know where you are I have a feeling I will see you about once a month.

I'm thinking the "bottle of the month" club courtesy of TGO and recommendations from this thread, lol.

• Like 3
Yeah, the jr really opens up with a cube of ice, I haven't had this years EHT rye, but I enjoyed last years a lot, I would have grabbed one but the saz were the last 2 on the shelves here where the EHT rye will be on the shelf here for months to come with the quantities I saw.

I'm really looking forward to a glass of the maker's barrel proof after dinner though. Edited by 2.ooohhh

sold the absolute last two bottles of Van Winkle in the building last night.  I was assigned with the task to get them off the books so inventory could start this morning.  

A bottle of 12 year old bourbon and a bottle of 13 year old rye.   I did not even know we had any left.  I let the girl working with me sell them.  She sent two texts and within an hour they were both gone.

I was torn about selling the Rye.  I told the boss that if it was unsold at closing time I would buy it.  I had sellers remorse when it went out the door.  LOL

I wonder if we might get more Weller 12 this coming week.  Stranger things have happened.

We still have a few bottle of Stagg Jr left.  

• Like 1
Is the pappy that good? I've never had any. Had a chance to buy some, but used my "regular customer" points to purchase two or three hard to find bottles instead of just one. Then I sat back with the whiskey guy and watched as the store manager told a bunch of hipster first time customers to f'off as they bombarded him with requests for the stuff. I know there's a lot of hype behind the stuff, just wondering if it's worth it. Me personally ... I prefer to put my money into delicious, findable whiskey/bourbon I can acquire with some regularity.

Is the pappy that good? I've never had any. Had a chance to buy some, but used my "regular customer" points to purchase two or three hard to find bottles instead of just one. Then I sat back with the whiskey guy and watched as the store manager told a bunch of hipster first time customers to f'off as they bombarded him with requests for the stuff. I know there's a lot of hype behind the stuff, just wondering if it's worth it. Me personally ... I prefer to put my money into delicious, findable whiskey/bourbon I can acquire with some regularity.

Worth it? Probably not. But it is a damn fine bourbon.

• Like 1

Worth is in the eye of the beholder. I have a bottle of 15yr and it's pretty damn fine. Worth the $110, maybe. It has a ton of body and flavor. Some like that some don't, I do. I wish I had more, and probably will try to get some next year

Pappy is very very good. If you can buy at retail then I highly recommend buying it - whether the 10, 12, 15 or 20.

That said i have been enjoying a bottle of 2013 Old Forresters Birthday Bourbon which has been most excellent!
Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm not one to shy away from $100+ on a bourbon if it's a good one, so maybe next year I'll try it if offered at the store. Definitely not going to pay black market prices for it. Right now I'm really stuck on a Four Roses Single Barrel Store Select recipie OESO and some Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

I like this particular Four Roses so much I just bought a case of it. I don't know the best word to describe it. It's delicate, but packs a punch. To my amateur bourbon taste describing abilities I'd say the nose is really aromatic, at first sip it doesn't pack too much heat from alcohol and greets you with some definite vanilla, oak, and maybe cherry(?) flavors. Towards the end a bit of a rye like finish (I believe this is a 20% rye mashbill). There's a touch of burn at 110 proof but it's not in your face. Overall, well balanced flavors and not too much alcohol-forward.

Take that for what it's worth from an amateur ... especially considering I'm on my second (and likely last) pour of the evening. Haha

The Jim Beam Double Aged is good stuff.   Does yours say Double aged or 8 year?  The label has been changed for a while,  19.99 on our shelf.

I found out the boss actually has some 23 year old Pappy stashed in his office.  No begging please, I am not allowed to show a bottle much less sell one. LOL  Dunno how much is left

He pulled one out for me to sell to one of his friends.  NO discount either he told me, LOL.  $375 + tax at the register.  Comes in a black velvet bag.

• Like 1

Pappy is very very good. If you can buy at retail then I highly recommend buying it - whether the 10, 12, 15 or 20.

That said i have been enjoying a bottle of 2013 Old Forresters Birthday Bourbon which has been most excellent!

The Birthday Bourbon is very good. I had no idea my Liquor Store even had it until I started talking to the owner one night...I told him what I liked and what I had tried before and he said "I've got something you'll like...hang on one minute" he came out of the back with that bottle and I really enjoyed it.

I got turned on to this a few years ago and it was my go to drink for quite a while. If you like Gentleman Jack you should really give the Jack Daniels Rested Rye a shot "no pun intended"...its very very good.

Jack-Daniels-Rested-Rye.jpg

It tried some Gentleman Jack at my parents house over the holidays.  I've never really cared for regular Jack and thus never bothered with anything else of theirs, but Dad had a bottle open, the kids had been at one another all day, and I needed a drink....   :bat:       the Gentleman was good stuff.  Smooth with a mild flavor.  I was pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...