The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Got this Willet Straight Rye Small Batch last week at a silent auction. It's bottled at barrel strength 108 so it's definitely a little hot. It's got a pretty sweat taste on the front with some oaky char on the back. It got better as it diluted a little. I think it'll be great in an old fashion or Manhattan

4E6E987D-28BA-452A-A19B-CA76B8CDDE32_zps

• Like 3

I think all of it tastes better when it dilutes a little bit.

Funny you mention Manhattan and Old Fashioned.   I see a lot of people now seeking out ingredients for cocktails.  It is a big trend.  I think it is great!

We even had a guy come in looking for Galliano.  He wanted to make a Harvey Wallbanger.  

Great find on the bottle!

Got this Willet Straight Rye Small Batch last week at a silent auction. It's bottled at barrel strength 108 so it's definitely a little hot. It's got a pretty sweat taste on the front with some oaky char on the back. It got better as it diluted a little. I think it'll be great in an old fashion or Manhattan

Nice.  Willett is one of my favorite bourbons.  Especially the barrel strength.  This one was 128.3 proof.

[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/88f7073d.jpg.html]88f7073d.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

Recently the manager of my local shop turned me onto what he and others call Pappy run off.

I highly recommend giving this a try. I was very impressed.

http://www.pursuitofpappy.com/wl-weller-12-yr-closest-bourbon-pappy-van-winkle-youll-find/

I can happily say I have some of that "run off " put away and thats thanks to 2 TGO members whose livers shall remain nameless ;) Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 3

We need to do a GTO Jack Daniels Barrel group buy. Honestly, it will be totally worth it. It will come down to around $50-$60 a person and we each get one 1.75l bottle. We need around 250 members tho. Unless someone wants a little more. 

Great idea or what?

We need to do a GTO Jack Daniels Barrel group buy. Honestly, it will be totally worth it. It will come down to around $50-$60 a person and we each get one 1.75l bottle. We need around 250 members tho. Unless someone wants a little more.

Great idea or what?

Im in just tell me where to send my money the unit i deployed with to Afghanistan the frist time did this i have never opened mine up setting in my safe
  • Administrator

I've got some of that in the collection here as well.  Very good stuff.  One of the best tasting ryes that I have had.

• Administrator

Great idea or what?

I kicked that idea around a few years ago, started organizing it, then it went to crap when people started fighting over the barrel.  In my mind, if I was going to go through the hassle of ordering a TGO barrel, I was going to keep the TGO barrel since I founded the damn place.  Hell I was up for a case or two of the resulting Single Barrel all by myself.   :lol:

Maybe one of these days.

• Like 1

I kicked that idea around a few years ago, started organizing it, then it went to crap when people started fighting over the barrel. In my mind, if I was going to go through the hassle of ordering a TGO barrel, I was going to keep the TGO barrel since I founded the damn place. Hell I was up for a case or two of the resulting Single Barrel all by myself. :lol:

Maybe one of these days.

Well thats an easy fix. Burn the barrel and send everyone wanting it a baggie of the char :)

I kicked that idea around a few years ago, started organizing it, then it went to crap when people started fighting over the barrel.  In my mind, if I was going to go through the hassle of ordering a TGO barrel, I was going to keep the TGO barrel since I founded the damn place.  Hell I was up for a case or two of the resulting Single Barrel all by myself.   :lol:

Maybe one of these days.

Good point.  I guess auction off the barrel then?

I would be willing to go in on this barrel idea.  I'd probably be up for a case of the juice as well. 

I don't want the barrel ... and as far as who gets it, well ... we all wouldn't be here talking about an order if it weren't for the one guy who set up and maintains this place, so ... I'd say the choice is obvious in my mind

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Good point.  I guess auction off the barrel then?

Why would I do that?  See, this is my point.  I tend to think that a small perk for me founding the site would be to keep the barrel.  Everyone else seems to think they should get a swipe at it too.

• Like 2

Why would I do that? See, this is my point. I tend to think that a small perk for me founding the site would be to keep the barrel. Everyone else seems to think they should get a swipe at it too.

Like i said im in for one or two bottles and i think TGO DAVID gets the barrel
Cracked open a bottle of John
Bowman single barrel tonight - 100 proof and excellent neat right out of the bottle. I have had the Abraham Bowman and was concerned that his little brother wouldn't hold up the legacy - i was please that it did! Smooth wheated bourbon with a fruity sugary butterscotch overtone and very mild heat - mostly a warm glow. Must have a very low rye content. Highly recommend
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Didn't know quite what I wanted to sip on tonight ... ended up mixing/vatting the two. Elijah Barrel Proof and Elijah 12 year (50/50 mix). I must say, just after an hours mingle time it's delicious; I set aside 100 mL of the mix to try in a week or so, and 100 mL to deliver a friend. Hopefully he'll enjoy it as much as I do! 34EB2DD6-E11E-4D57-BBAF-E17120224076_zps