The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2017 at 8:04 AM, Bob T said:

So I am having trouble getting my lovely wife to understand the concept of a whiskey library...
I brought home a bottle of Angel's Envy the other day, and she wanted to know why I bought it, when I already had six other bottles in the cabinet.

I ask you, is this too much?

booze_library-1120200.jpg

Surprise, we didn't fall off the face of the earth. 

With that being said, every wife is different. Tell her that it is common place in the southern states for wives to be accepting or encouraging of gun and whiskey/bourbon collections. It's the polite and wifely duty. :angel:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Picked up these today:
36919180186_4f037aae63_c.jpg

A couple of good ones there. I prefer Weller 12 over the Antique 107, but Weller 12 is very hard to find at a reasonable price these days. Blanton's is very good bourbon, and the horse and jockey stopper comes in eight different stages of a race with letters that spell out BLANTON'S, so now you've got seven more bottles to buy. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok so if I were going to pick up some Japanese offerings where should I start? I'll pay the price if it's worth the money just not sure which direction to go.

This is a good middle of the road whiskey. Pretty good for only $40
63cf7c4ceec64a54ed75a2b71d2518de.jpg

Hibiki is a little more expensive but has a really strong smoke/oak flavor. To strong for my liking.

Yamazake is really good. Couple of drops of water really open this one up. It is usually over $100 but I like it. Has a good smokey/oak flavor but not over powering like the Hibiki.
62c7a08a63879e8967e771b24e4ca6ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Ok so if I were going to pick up some Japanese offerings where should I start? I'll pay the price if it's worth the money just not sure which direction to go.

Do you have a taste for scotch? If not I would try to sample some at a bar before you pick up a whole bottle. The Scotch influence is all over Japanese Whiskey. 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, ShamGlock said:

Do you have a taste for scotch? If not I would try to sample some at a bar before you pick up a whole bottle. The Scotch influence is all over Japanese Whiskey. 

Look/ask for the little 6-8oz bottles. It's a good way to sample without blowing $100 on something you don't like. 

• Like 3

I like scotch but it's not my go-to. I like smokey flavor but just depends on how much. I'll try to find some samples. Thanks for the info
  • Like 1

This is a good middle of the road whiskey. Pretty good for only $40
63cf7c4ceec64a54ed75a2b71d2518de.jpg

Hibiki is a little more expensive but has a really strong smoke/oak flavor. To strong for my liking.

Yamazake is really good. Couple of drops of water really open this one up. It is usually over $100 but I like it. Has a good smokey/oak flavor but not over powering like the Hibiki.
62c7a08a63879e8967e771b24e4ca6ca.jpg

I knew you were the man to ask, haha. Appreciate the info
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Where were you 6 months ago...lol

I've learned that one the hard way... more than once. 

Sometimes you can find boutique stuff like that at swanky bars, but a single drink can cost as much or more than a small bottle.  I'm way too cheap for that. 

Anybody else sipping any of the 4 Roses Private Select offerings?

I've got bottles from 5 or 6 different 4 Roses PS single barrels (4 of the 10 recipes) and two bottles currently open. I've tasted all of them (some before purchase) and have emptied a few bottles. Fortunately, I have backups of several of the ones I've emptied. I don't think I've ever had a bad 4 Roses Single Barrel Private Selection, just some were maybe a little better than others. I highly recommend them if you see them in your local liquor stores.

• Like 2
On 9/12/2017 at 9:34 PM, LCPfraTN said:

I've got bottles from 5 or 6 different 4 Roses PS single barrels (4 of the 10 recipes) and two bottles currently open. I've tasted all of them (some before purchase) and have emptied a few bottles. Fortunately, I have backups of several of the ones I've emptied. I don't think I've ever had a bad 4 Roses Single Barrel Private Selection, just some were maybe a little better than others. I highly recommend them if you see them in your local liquor stores.

Agreed, worth every penny and one of the last real values you can find in bourbon right now. 

• Like 1
Agreed, worth every penny and one of the last real values you can find in bourbon right now. 

Almost all liquor store Private Selections are good values. In most stores that I frequent, the Private Selections are usually cheaper than the regular product, and many that are normally batched products become single barrel products by being a Private Selection. Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig are batched products that are found as single barrel Private Selections in many stores and are usually priced between $25-$30.

Four Roses is a good value, but I actually think Knob Creek Single Barrel Private Selections are the best value in bourbon today. At 120 proof, 12 to 13 years old and priced below $40 per bottle...that's a screaming bargain in today's market.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

Almost all liquor store Private Selections are good values. In most stores that I frequent, the Private Selections are usually cheaper than the regular product, and many that are normally batched products become single barrel products by being a Private Selection. Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig are batched products that are found as single barrel Private Selections in many stores and are usually priced between $25-$30.

Four Roses is a good value, but I actually think Knob Creek Single Barrel Private Selections are the best value in bourbon today. At 120 proof, 12 to 13 years old and priced below $40 per bottle...that's a screaming bargain in today's market.

Knob Creek single barrel and Elijah Craig are two of my favorites. Very good and very reasonably priced. 

• Like 1
Knob Creek single barrel and Elijah Craig are two of my favorites. Very good and very reasonably priced. 

Opened my bottle of Elijah Craig tonight. First time I have tried it and I really like it. This is going to become one of my regulars.

569115b9b470a5fa4b553ebd17be4cc3.jpg

• Like 3
19 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

Agreed. When I come across a store pick of anything I normally like I will always grab a bottle or two. I've had some tremendous store pick bottles of BT, EC, and Whistlepig. 

I love the KC store pick I just picked up last week, I think you may be right as far as it being the best deal in bourbon right now but I'll have to try a few more pours to confirm!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, Bob T said:

Had a good friend visit last night, and he brought me a bottle of Booker's, so we sampled most of the library last night. 

23625783148_25ccb30bbc_c.jpg

Pictures like this make me miss drinking, Gave it up years ago, alcoholic Father and I noticed I was starting to like it to much for my own comfort 

• Like 2