The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Thats kinda like saying a filet and hamburger are the same since they both are mostly cow 😛

Whiskey is the catchall. Bourbon and Scotch are both whiskey, As is Rye. But pretty different. Bourbon is primarily corn mash and Scotch is mostly barley. Generalizations, some mixing there. And of course how they are made. I personally dont get the heavy peet in some Scotch, but some Bourbon they scorch the barrels for a bit of smoke.

Edited by Erich
3 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I looked it up. What the difference in whiskey and bourbon is. It said on google that they are basicly the same thing. Only slightly different recipes used.

Well bourbon is a whiskey...but so are scotch and Irish whiskey. The difference is usually the type of grain used for fermentation or the combination of grains. Bourbon is heavy on the corn.

6 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I looked it up. What the difference in whiskey and bourbon is. It said on google that they are basicly the same thing. Only slightly different recipes used.

By name, maybe. From there Google don't have a clue. I've visited distilleries both foreign and domestic and each has its own recipe, ingredients, aging process,etc. But that's also part of the excitement 😁

58 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I am just the opposite.  I do not like Irish Whisky or Scotch but love bourbon.

Depends on if its peated or not. Like those really bitter IPA's, I can't handle peated whisky. 

Bourbon is whisky made in Kentucky. Scotch is whisky made in Scotland. 

Edited by peejman
45 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Well, from what I understand from the article, what the old time Moonshiners made was pretty much bourbon, whiskey, moonshine, whatever you want to call it. It was made out of corn mostly.

Yep. And I prefer the corn myself. 

• 1 month later...

Bourbon is a particular type of whiskey that must have the following qualities to legally be labeled as such:

• Produced in the United States
  • Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn
  • Aged in new, charred oak containers
  • Distilled to no more than 160 proof
  • Entered into the container for aging at no more than 125 proof
  • Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more

Also, technically, most Tennessee whiskey meets the legal definition of bourbon, but usually adds the step of post-distillation filtering through charcoal, and must be distilled in TN to qualify.  

I read somewhere (I think it was in one of Cowdery's books) that there is more Jack Daniel's produced every year than every other bourbon combined.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

So, just wanted to share something awesome with the group. A coworker shared with me he was putting some stuff on Ebay, and the second he mentioned he was selling a Spock Decanter I absolutely had to have details. After seeing what he had, I had to have it.

From what I can tell, it's a decanter (empty, sadly) from 1979 when the first Star Trek movie came out.

IMG_2775.thumb.jpg.55116853ff5a6791d5d8e54b832465b7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Nice! You are your own best Santa. 😉

It was worth a Google. If anyone is interested, there is a guy selling a number of these sans the Cielo liqueur they originally had. Not sure if the price is out there, but you know...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284151085541

This link had some good details on the item.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/224591628/mr-spock-star-trek-decanter-1979?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

• Like 1
  • Moderators
19 hours ago, Erich said:

Nice! You are your own best Santa. 😉

It was worth a Google. If anyone is interested, there is a guy selling a number of these sans the Cielo liqueur they originally had. Not sure if the price is out there, but you know...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284151085541

This link had some good details on the item.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/224591628/mr-spock-star-trek-decanter-1979?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

According to my co-worker, there were two sizes. The one with the red emblem was smaller, white emblem larger. And I'll simply say, I'll have about a quarter of that pricing in it. With a box and in great/perfect condition I'm sure they'd be rather collectable, I'm buying it simply to enjoy. Although, I doubt I'll put any actual bourbon in it.

• Moderators
On 11/18/2019 at 3:02 PM, KahrMan said:

Picked up two new bottles this weekend.  The first is the Sinatra Select Jack Daniels.  It is a little pricey but is the best Jack Daniels I have tried.  Smooth, flavorful with no burn.  

The second bottle I picked up just because they were having a tasting.  I am looking at some whiskeys and I hear this lady telling somebody about a peanut butter whiskey.  I walk over and ask Did you say Peanut Butter Whiskey?  She said yes and asked if I wanted a sample.  The disgusted look on my face made her say just try it.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It is a little syrupy and kinda coats the mouth.  It has a butterscotch/caramel flavor.  I think this will be really good mixed with some hot chocolate or used to make a boozy milkshake.  I will not drink this straight but I will definitely use it as a mixer.  It is pretty cheap also, just $26.

hs-R1cqbs-Tr2f-Wynz3-K5a7g.jpg

u-W-Yz0-J6-Stu4q-QYR4-Tkwsg.jpg

I accidentally found this post from 2019 and have to concur. My local place was doing tastings of Screwball, I thought it was rather tasty. That said, she also had me try it mixed with a red wine because "peanut-butter and jelly". I told her it was better with just the whiskey.

2 hours ago, Verne said:

Does anyone know a good place to sale collectable bourbon?  Also is it even legal?

I've need told yes and no about being able to sale it.

Thank you,

Verne

Yes it is legal and sell it here. There are a couple Of collectors here besides myself. 

Of course pm me first with what you have before you post it….😉😉😂

• Haha 3

Over the year plus of challenging events driving home more of a live now perspective, The holiday celebrations had us dip into a stash of our final few remaining bottles purchased prior to the whiskey market explosion which have driven these to become nearly unobtainable.  The last time I had opened one was probably 5 or 6 years ago.

George T Stagg barrel proof bourbon.

I am happy we did, it was great to get reacquainted with George 😉 

Opened up nicely with a little water to bring out flavors and put the heat onto the back burner. Slightly scorched caramel and cinnamon dominate on entry really made it a great follow to pumpkin pie. The oak is there but in relative moderation compared to the other flavors. One of my favorites as the citrus  and cherry profiles are tamed to subtle proportion in the complex mix of flavors that carry on thru the middle. I am reminded why we always had a few of these around.

I doubt it will ever be like the good ole days when grabbing a couple bottles wasn't a problem with at least a case of it on the shelf at the Total Wine at a mere $79 each.  But hopefully improves quite a bit before our last one is gone.

IMG_1883.thumb.jpg.4b1c13b3b8fad04f53bd780fbf75e717.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1