The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Guest FiddleDog
oh yeah. The Pappy never disappoints (or in this case, the Old Rip). For an every dayer, you can't beat the Weller 107 (same distillery and Mash recipe as the PVW - and very wallet friendly at $44 a handle). I'd walk past bourbons 2x the price to get to a 107.

There's a great story to the above monsters-of-rock of bourbons you see above. I walked into my favorite liquor store (which will remain unnamed to protect the innocent), and the manager took one look at me, pointed from across the store, and said "YOU came on the right night." He then took me to the office, and there they were (I think I actually heard Beethoven's fifth as I walked into the office).

I originally thought he was just going to show me the bottles, as in, most people don't get to be in the same room with this...but then he handed me a glass.

The Hirsch 21 tasted like world peace...

A good friend of mine from Kentucky was like, "this is God's way of letting you know that he still loves you, after all the $#!t yo've been through recently" (divorce, sucks...really). Edited by FiddleDog

I tried Dickel Rye last night and really enjoyed it.  I like the smooth wheaters too, but these Rye whiskies that have come back on the scene the past few years are really tasty...in a bold, spicy kinda way. FWIW, anytime you see a rye whisky that is 95% rye, it came from LDI (Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana).  So High West, Templeton, Bulleit and Dickel is all the same juice, though it gets aged differently and Dickel still puts theirs through the sugar maple charcoal chill filtering process unique to TN whiskies.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tnbackpacker/media/dickelrye_zpsbf799b05.jpg.html]dickelrye_zpsbf799b05.jpg[/URL]

Edited by JMR1138
Guest FiddleDog

Lawd, I wish that stash belonged to me.  I was just fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time around the right people one night and got to take part in an impromptu tasting.

Guest sL1k

Well I was visiting some family in Iowa and got exposed to some Templeton Rye. Apparently it is made in Iowa and was made during prohibition. They claim that it was Al Capone's drink of choice. Anyhow it was really good wiskey.

+1 on this. My first rye. Very good

I picked up some of the Old Weller 107 this past Thursday and was absolutely blown away by the quality for the price. That's going to become a mainstay in my cabinet.

107 is good, Weller 12 year is better, and if you can find it, Old Rip Van Winkle 107 is even better. All reasonably priced when u can find them

Guest FiddleDog

The guys down at Maryland Farms Wine and spirits buy the Weller 107 in single barrels, and they are discerning to say the least.  Their single barrel selections go toe-to-toe with the 12 (i actually prefer their single barrel 107 over the 12 year - though I like the 12 over non-medallioned 107s).  They are awesome down there.  Very Knowledgeable, and really excited about spirits.  when you talk to the guys, even though their knowledge base is apparent, you can tell that they are actively listening to you and your preferences in order to learn from you as well.  GREAT guys down there.  The shop dog is pretty awesome, too.  If you're in South Nashville/Brentwood, go there.  They will treat you right...

PS, not affiliated with this shop, outside of it being my go to liquor shop.

PPS, not saying that this is them (to avoid incriminating anyone), but if you get to know the guys at the shop, your chance of having a nice night like the one mentioned above increases dramatically.

Edited by FiddleDog
  • 2 weeks later...

that Weller 12 is a big find. Can't get it around here anymore.

In Paducah, they had 2 bottles of 12, 3 bottles of 107 and several Special Reserve. I saw everyone was giving it good remarks so I picked up a bottle. I have to concur, it was very good.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here's something new.

13th Colony Southern corn whiskey.
95 proof.
This is produced in Americus, GA.
I might be willing to send these folks some of our water to keep making this one. Rather tasty.

cw.JPG
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Anyone tried anything new? I have been on a summer kick of well iced Irish whiskey. So refreshing.

Not new per se but I picked up a bottle of Old Weller 12-year and my wife picked up a bottle of Wathen's Single Barrel for me recently.  Both are exceptional values and very, very good.