The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Anyone tried anything new? I have been on a summer kick of well iced Irish whiskey. So refreshing.

Not new per se but I picked up a bottle of Old Weller 12-year and my wife picked up a bottle of Wathen's Single Barrel for me recently. Both are exceptional values and very, very good.

Where did you find the weller 12? I haven't seen any for a coons age!
  • 1 month later...

The wife found this at the local store a week or so ago.  Supposedly its only available in this area.

CA_08081319424633-L.jpg

Surprisingly strong chocolate flavor, way more than I expected.  It's fairly sweet and at only 60 proof, doesn't have much bite (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).  It smells kinda like a chocolate malted, and has very much that sort of vibe when mixed with coke.  It's not something I think I'll sip over ice, but it's not bad that way. 

Here's the "not a bad thing part"...  the wife loved it.  When she mixes a drink, sometimes I can tell there's booze in it.  When I mix a drink, she normally won't even taste it as the smell alone is too much for her.  I mixed her a drink with this and she said... "yummmmm".   :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I looked over this entire thread and no one mentioned Aberlour Single Malt! When I first got interested in Scotch, I asked for help and was sold a bottle of the 10 year old. That was fine until I found out they had a 12 year old... and that was fine until I found out they have a 16 year old! Reading this thread is now going to cost me a trip to Frugals this weekend... thanks.

Oh yeah, someone mentioned Vodka? I know it's cheap, but Absolute is absolutely ok in my book!

as for Vodka,  and i have sampled most of them at one time or another being in the business, Russian Standard is the best one on the shelf.  It is the only one totally made and bottled in Russia for sale in TN.  There is no other Vodka with as clean a taste. 

As for flavored Vodkas I gotta go with the 360 brand of flavors,  they are outstanding.  They don't make a grapefruit flavor and if you are a fan of grapefruit vodka give Deep Eddy Ruby Red a try.  it is outta this world.

got to try some 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle this week,  sign me up as not a fan.

• Administrator

Here are a few to ogle...

I think this one may become a Christmas tradition.

i-HW2LvQ2-L.jpg

This is an interesting blend of Rye, Bourbon and Scotch...

i-sF9K6vv-L.jpg

And this one is an amazing limited edition bourbon...

i-mjfstxc-L.jpg

i-M3Z49cp-L.jpg

And it's more available brother...

i-Vg37ZNz-L.jpg

And here are three others.  Two are just good to keep around.  The third is very special...

i-TBZC92j-L.jpg

i-8hHDHKZ-L.jpg

• 1 month later...

I tried Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey tonight on the recommendation of my local liquor pusher.  Pretty good going down.

Yes that's a nice bottle. I'm enjoying an evening Manhattan with Four Roses Small Batch.

• Administrator

the Jack Daniels holiday stuff is just old number7

Not exactly.  It's a slightly higher proof than black label and is supposedly drained from the barrels that they selected for the "barrel tree" in Lynchburg.  A portion of the proceeds from sales go toward Operation: Ride Home that pays travel expenses to bring troops home for the holidays.

Not exactly.  It's a slightly higher proof than black label and is supposedly drained from the barrels that they selected for the "barrel tree" in Lynchburg.  A portion of the proceeds from sales go toward Operation: Ride Home that pays travel expenses to bring troops home for the holidays.

right, it came from the barrel tree seen in Christmas time tv commercials.  It is the old #7 proof before it was lowered to current levels.  Comes in a special box and decorative bottle.

[quote name="Raoul" post="1065782" timestamp="1384828486"]Anybody into Manhattans? I just discovered an amazing vermouth. Vya. Makes outrageous Manhattans.[/quote] I'm quoting this again just to reiterate how good that Vermouth is. I had a Manhattan out at dinner last night, with top shelf bourbon and it was subpar to the ones at home with Vya.
  • Like 1