Rifles... 22 caliber Whatcha got?

Currently,  I have a few 22LR rifles.  I’ve sort of become the 10/22 guy at the local NRL22 match.

Non 10/22 List:

SavageB22 FVSR with an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24×50 APRS3 FFP MIL scope mounted with Burris XTR Signature Rings on a EGW custom milled 30 MOA rail that allows it to shoot out to 500 yards.  Because of the MSRP of the scope, it (currently) puts the rifle out of NRL22 base class.

Savage Mark II FVSR with an Acme Machine 6-24x50mm First Focal Plane Tactical Rifle Scope TR-MIL Reticle and rings.

Savage A22 FV FDX XP which I replaced the red dot with an Athlon Talos BTR 4-14×44 APLR2 FFP IR MIL scope.

Marlin Model 60 stainless with a Nikon P-Rimfire 3-7 scope on see thru mounts.

Marlin XT-22 (kid length) as a loaner.

M&P 15/22 with a Red dot.

Thompson Center Encore (single shot) that started life as a stainless pistol.  Now setup with a Boyds Pro Hunter (Royal Jacaranda) stock, Match Grade Machine 16.5 stainless barrel, Bellm trigger kit (9 oz pull) and hammer extension, Mueller 8-32X44 Side Focus scope mounted with Talley lightweight alloy rings.

10/22 List:

Ruger Competition with an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24×50 APRS3 FFP MIL scope mounted with Burris XTR Signature Rings

Custom light weight build based on a Thompson Center T/CR22 (which this receiver has been the basis for several builds) currently sporting a Whistle Pig 16.5 inch barrel, Kidd 2-stage (3oz/3oz) trigger, Fab Defense UAS R10/22 stock, and VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 AR scope mounted with an Aero Precision Ultralight 1" Standard Scope Mount. 

Kidd Chassis build:
All Kidd (including Kidd Chassis, receiver, bolt, 2-stage trigger (8oz/8oz), 20 MOA rail, charging handle) other than MPA EVG Grip (modified to fit),  MagPul ACS-L Buttstock, Feddersen 16.5 inch stainless barrel, and an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24×50 APRS3 FFP MIL scope mounted with Burris XTR Signature Rings

Victor Titan build:
Kidd receiver, bolt, 2-stage trigger (8oz/8oz), 20 MOA rail, charging handle on a Victor Co Titan stock, Titan Universal cheek rest, Kidd compatible anchor, 10" Henderson Precision D-Rail, Ckye-Pod Bipod, Proof Research 16.5 inch carbon fiber barrel, with an  Midas TAC 5-25×56 APRS3 FFP MIL HD scope mounted with Burris XTR Signature 34mm Rings for the bigger tube and a Send iT digital level.

Bergara BXR002 (new in box).  I haven’t decided on the optic for it yet.  It may end up with the Bushnell Match Pro 6-24x50 mounted with Burris XTR Signature Rings.  I’ll likely swap out the trigger for a Kidd 2-stage trigger (8oz/8oz) as I have spares.

As you may have noted, I’m a big fan of the  Burris XTR Signature Rings as they let me “bottom out” the scope so I can shoot further (out to 500 yards).  I also prefer the Kidd 2-stage triggers as I’ve never touched a better 10/22 trigger.

While this one is not technically a rifle, I also have a custom build 10/22 Charger using a Brownells receiver, Ruger bolt, PMACA Lightweight Chassis, Whistle Pig 6 inch barrel, MDT Vertical Grip, SBA3 Pistol Brace, Streamlight TLR2HL 1000 Lumen light w/ red laser, Holosun 507C Green Dot, and rather than a Kidd 2-stage, it has a Ruger trigger with a Franklin Armory BFSIII 22-C1 Binary Trigger kit installed.  With GSG 110-Round drum magazines it’s a blast to shoot.  The only problem is that the heat has had an adverse effect on the aluminum Whistle Pig barrel. I’ll be temporarily replacing it (likely tomorrow) with a 10-inch factory charger barrel (which arrived yesterday) until I get a couple of new custom stainless bull barrels (already ordered) in hand. 

I have several 22LR pistols too.  If I had to pick a 22LR pistol to suggest, it’d be the Taurus TX22.

On my shopping list is another Bergara.  I might get the BXR001 and pair it with the Bushnell Match Pro scope as a NRL22 base class rifle.  But I really have hankering to buy the B-14 R.  From what I’ve seen so far, they are a very accurate 22LR.  Being a Remington 700 footprint, the B-14 R has a lot of accessories available too which is one of the reasons I like 10/22s over other 22 rifles.

• Wow 1
  • 3 months later...

I own two left handed Coopers, left hand CZ, left hand Savage, Ruger 10-22, and a left hand semi auto Savage. Browning lever action grade IV. Might buy one of the left handed Tikkas when they hit the market (which should be soon).

Edited by RandyB

This was my first firearm; a Remington Apache 77 (basically a green Nylon 77).  My dad bought for me from K-Mart when I was 7.

50778745663_bb215c7e89.jpg

This is NOT a rifle, but I thought someone might like to see it anyways.  It's a Tippmann M4-22 Micro Elite with a Form 1 can tucked under a 9" M-lok rail.  Also has an Elftmann trigger.  Needs a better optic, though.  This thing is a blast to shoot!  

]50779623217_aa7cb4cee5.jpg

I just finished putting this one together; hopefully I can shoot it over the New Year's weekend.  It's a Bergara B14R in a KRG Bravo chassis.  Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50.  I was hoping to get into NRL22 in 2021, but, just my luck, it seems that ORSA has suspended their matches.  😞 

50779623202_87b242cccc.jpg

Edited by LawVol
  • Like 2

Nice Bergara.  I also have a B-14R with the same Midas TAC scope, but haven't changed out the factory stock.  I did add a TriggerTech Diamond trigger which is adjusted to about 4 oz and installed a Area 419 14" Arcalock Universal Rail so I could use my Ckye-Pod bipod. 

Have you found the ammo that shoots most accurately in you B-14R yet?  Mine seems to really like the Lapua Midas Plus, but I'm about to try Eley Tenex.  My Bergara BXR002 (10/22 clone) has an affinity for the Eley Match ammo.  It wouldn't surprise me if the B-14R also likes Eley.

I actually have not shot it yet.  Just got the scope mounted last night.  I ordered a half dozen or so flavors of match ammo to see what it likes, but nothing has come in yet.  Unfortunately, the only decent ammo I have on hand at the moment is Eley Target.  Everything else I have is blaster fodder.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope I remember them all:

LH Savage bolt 

LH CZ 452

LH Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle - 22 mag

LH Cooper Custom Classic

Ruger 10/22

Savage LH semi auto, think it’s a model 64

Edited by RandyB
Duplicate post, forgot I had listed them before.
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, RandyB said:

Hope I remember them all:

LH Savage bolt 

LH CZ 452

LH Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle - 22 mag

LH Cooper Custom Classic

Ruger 10/22

Savage LH semi auto, think it’s a model 64

Love me some Coopers.  I had a JSR with AAA wood that I foolishly sold to my buddy.  I would love to see a pic of the custom classic.  I have been threating to buy a western classic for years and just haven't done it.

Edited by Hozzie
1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

Love me some Coopers.  I had a JSR with AAA wood that I foolishly sold to my buddy.  I would love to see a pic of the custom classic.  I have been threating to buy a western classic for years and just haven't done it.

Ordered the rifle about 10 years ago. Paid to upgrade the wood to AAA and when I opened the box it looked like the stock was made from a fence post. Cooper finally conceded the wood quality wasn’t that good and replaced it. Replacement stock was better but not by a lot.

When they first started building rifles the quality of the stocks was outstanding. But every year since they slip a notch or two.  Bought a 7mm/08 Classic about 6 years ago and seen better grain on a Remington 700. That was my last Cooper purchase.

Edited by RandyB
6 hours ago, hipower said:

Always regretted not buying a pump rifle. Just never seemed to get around to it.

I have SO MUCH FUN WITH IT!  It was between the Model 62 and a Marlin 39A lever action.  The Marlin is a great gun, but it took me longer to work the lever and get back on target.  I first remember shooting a pump the fair as a kid in Chattanooga.

About a year ago I bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire in .22 LR and I love it. It's more accurate than I am, and you can't (at least couldn't) beat a .22 for cheap.

I also have a couple of Armi Jager AK-22's, one in .22 LR and the other in .22 Mag, neither of which have been fired much.

Ruger 10-22 which I rarely shoot.

Marlin lever-action in 22 Mag.

My first rifle ever, a Nylon 66 that I bought when I was 15 and still shoot fairly often.  

And a small brace of 22 handguns as well. 

Edited by Darrell

Not a gun, but just received these guys this morning.  Will be going on two USAF (Not USMC) Rem 40XB 22's.  If you don't have a classic 22 and scope to go with it you are missing out.

spacer.png

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 4
  • 1 year later...

Reading all the responses here .. all I could do was drool ..I personally don't own a .22 of any flavor ..

but have had the fever for one for a bit .. just to find one within reason on price and condition ..