Question about AR blade stocks?

Grayfox54

Ok, I'm not an AR guy. I own one, but I'm not really into the AR culture and don't know much about all the legalities involved. But I do kinda like the idea of a compact sub gun sized weapon. I've seen several ARs for sale with pistol length barrels equiped with the flat blade type stocks.  Is this legal to own without a stamp? Wouldn't that be classed as a SBR? 

I get the Sig style brace as its designed to fit around your forearm. I also understand that it becomes illegal if you put it to your shoulder. Is that still correct? 

OTOH: I seen short barreled ARs with the blade type stocks and claims that its legal to put them to you shoulder like a regular rifle. There are lots of videos of people shooting these guns from their shoulder. I'm confused. Somebody please explain all this to me. :shrug:

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Ok, I'm not an AR guy. I own one, but I'm not really into the AR culture and don't know much about all the legalities involved. But I do kinda like the idea of a compact sub gun sized weapon. I've seen several ARs for sale with pistol length barrels equiped with the flat blade type stocks.  Is this legal to own without a stamp? Wouldn't that be classed as a SBR? 

I get the Sig style brace as its designed to fit around your forearm. I also understand that it becomes illegal if you put it to your shoulder. Is that still correct? 

OTOH: I seen short barreled ARs with the blade type stocks and claims that its legal to put them to you shoulder like a regular rifle. There are lots of videos of people shooting these guns from their shoulder. I'm confused. Somebody please explain all this to me. :shrug:

Most of those braces have been through ATF scrutiny and have been deemed "Not a Stock".  There had been an ATF opinion letter that said shouldering them was illegal, a subsequent letter seemed to say that was not the case.  So currently, you may shoulder a brace and as long as no modifications are made to the brace, they remain legal.  Of course this may change in the future, as the ATF seems to change their opinions with every different guy in charge. 

Honestly, the NFA process, while lengthy and somewhat costly, is far better than this equivocating we see on what a brace is and how it can be used.  I have an SBR and I can use it for any lawful purpose.  No what if's, finding the most current memo, or any other finger in the air barometer needed.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Honestly, the NFA process, while lengthy and somewhat costly, is far better than this equivocating we see on what a brace is and how it can be used.  I have an SBR and I can use it for any lawful purpose.  No what if's, finding the most current memo, or any other finger in the air barometer needed.

Yea, but it's a leash, and an illegal tax which I won't submit myself to.  I take the time to research and keep links/copies handy for cya purposes. 

46 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Ok, if I'm understanding this correctly, its legal to own, currently legal to shoulder, but that could change at any time? That about it? 

Pretty much, I would not worry about it though.  I've had mine for years (braces), and have taken them to the range and hunting, nobody has batted an eye.

• Like 1