Carrying a Completed 80% AR lower pistol.

What are the legal concerns of making an AR pistol to keep in your vehicle out of an 80% lower?

I was considering doing so with this build kit from PSA:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-12-slant-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit-with-mbus-sight-set-carpenter-158-nickel-boron-bcg-5165449463.html

However before I do so the consideration of no two cops were the same has me worried if getting pulled over with my personal "ghost gun" would actually cause me more head ache than it's worth?

Considering I mainly travel in the Davidson County area and would possibly bring this on road trips out of state where TN carry permit is respected.

• Moderators

I have two conflicting thoughts:

1) If an officer is going to give you a headache over a detail such as that, they probably already have in mind that they are going to give you a headache...period. If it wasn't that, it would probably be something else.

2) Since there is the possibility of what you describe, in my opinion it would probably help simply by avoiding the chance of that happening altogether. In other words, what are you gaining from doing that and what are you potentially risking from doing that. I'm not saying it's illegal, just that it could potentially be a hangup and headache.

Edited by GlockSpock

Too many police officers can't keep things straight when it comes to basic laws.  Although there is nothing illegal about what you want to do, how many thousands of dollars are you prepared to spend too keep your good name in the event you run into a cop that is confused on the law?  More trouble than it's worth imo.

• Like 1

I personally feel it would not be an issue, I would just keep links to the pertinent NFA rules and possibly a printout to show any LEO if they don't know.  However, why bother?  Lowers are at an all time low, and available everywhere, so the risk/reward isn't there.  If all you want, as I do, is to build your own, then have at it, it's legal, just be sure to check adjacent state/local laws to make sure there are no laws against it.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Omega said:

I personally feel it would not be an issue, I would just keep links to the pertinent NFA rules and possibly a printout to show any LEO if they don't know.  However, why bother?  Lowers are at an all time low, and available everywhere, so the risk/reward isn't there.  If all you want, as I do, is to build your own, then have at it, it's legal, just be sure to check adjacent state/local laws to make sure there are no laws against it.

I was just curious about a serial numbered AR pistol like a factory PSA being question on being a SBR.

1 minute ago, jeff43 said:

I was just curious about a serial numbered AR pistol like a factory PSA being question on being a SBR.

The answer is quite the same, if you feel you may have an NFA issue,  just save links to the ATF site and or print out a copy to keep and show local LEOs. Most LEO do know the difference, if they don't I'm sure they can clarify it quite quickly, the key is to be courteous and not belittling when explaining it to them.

50 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

Where can I find it on the ATF site about the braces. What little I've found still has a lot of gray areas. Seems they can't print it simple so a person can understand it.

Many manufacturers have their own letter, check their website.  You should be fine with that.  As @Raoul said, just buy what you want, there are hundreds on the street already.

Since I like to keep life simple here’s what I would do:

If you have a permit carry a proper handgun.

If you are legally allowed to own a firearm,  keep a carbine in your vehicle if you feel the need for that kind of firepower.

Myself, I’m not into playing roadside lawyer and whipping out internet documents in the event an interaction with The Law occurred.  The odds are stacked against you.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Since I like to keep life simple here’s what I would do:

If you have a permit carry a proper handgun.

If you are legally allowed to own a firearm,  keep a carbine in your vehicle if you feel the need for that kind of firepower.

Myself, I’m not into playing roadside lawyer and whipping out internet documents in the event an interaction with The Law occurred.  The odds are stacked against you.

I'd be more worried about keeping a loaded long gun in a vehicle than an AR pistol.  And I hope you don't recommend keeping it unloaded.

When on the road I take a Sig 556 pistol with me. legal pretty much anywhere my carry permit is. I'm all about 80% lowers but only as something that stays behind in a very secure and hidden place.

I would not want the hassle of trying to explain the legality of an 80% lower while I wait for my lawyer to secure my release.

• Like 1

I guess my question is why would you carry a non engraved finished lower? All the 80% lowers I've finished have been engraved from the get go should I want to form 1 an SBR from them later, and it makes it more likely to be recoverable should it ever be lost/stolen. While it's legal to carry an un-engraved home finished lower, I just don't see any real advantage for the law abiding gun owner.

• Like 1

I was mainly concerned about the non serialized lower. I like the gentleman who said 80% should be left behind in a non disclosed area. 

I live on a farm and would like something smaller than a fullsized rifle to conceal in my truck for predators. But on the second hand also have a ICE bug out like gun.

I have a few stripped lowers from PSA I could build it on and also a few 80%. The main question is what is the TN GO community thoughts and opinions on a EDC AR pistol with or without a serial number?

I appreciate all who have voiced their opinion.