Small gun safe for vehicle.

I am in the market for a small pistol safe for my car.  I have a larger gun vault for my truck, but I need one to hold a full size pistol and some extra magazines for when I go into a place that does not allow me to carry inside.  I waited in line at the post office for almost a half hour and left my pistol in the vehicle and it only takes a second.. Any ideas or suggestions ? 

I have one similar to RED333's. It's a gunVault NanoVault NV300. I went with that one to get the combination lock. I also have one with a key lock, but found I can't open the lock box easily with my keys in the ignition if I have to do it while driving. The combo is quick.

It's probably not as secure as the rigid mounted V-Line Obiwan is using, but it would work against any smash-n-grab attack. As long as the perps don't have bolt cutters or an extended period of time to pry it open, I think it will work fine.

https://www.gunvault.com/product/nanovault-300/

8 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I went with that one to get the combination lock. I also have one with a key lock, but found I can't open the lock box easily with my keys in the ignition if I have to do it while driving. The combo is quick.

Key lock safes are perfectly fine.  You don't leave your gun in the safe when you're driving; you keep the gun easily accessible.  The safe is for storing the gun when you can't carry it on you and have to leave it in the vehicle.  As soon as you get back to the vehicle, you take the gun out of the safe.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2018 at 6:50 PM, FAI3445 said:

I am in the market for a small pistol safe for my car.  I have a larger gun vault for my truck, but I need one to hold a full size pistol and some extra magazines for when I go into a place that does not allow me to carry inside.  I waited in line at the post office for almost a half hour and left my pistol in the vehicle and it only takes a second.. Any ideas or suggestions ? 

Which gun vault do you have for your larger guns?

@ OP - It is possible to spend a couple hundred dollars  (or more) on a handgun vault to mount in a car.  Even a more expensive, high quality vault can't protect a handgun where someone just steals the whole car.

In light of that, have you considered spending the same amount of money on an inexpensive carry gun instead of a vault?

49 minutes ago, Wheelgunner said:

@ OP - It is possible to spend a couple hundred dollars  (or more) on a handgun vault to mount in a car.  Even a more expensive, high quality vault can't protect a handgun where someone just steals the whole car.

In light of that, have you considered spending the same amount of money on an inexpensive carry gun instead of a vault?

I am going to step out on a limb for @FAI3445 and guess that he is as worried about the gun being used for crime as he is losing it. Plus with today's car tech, a smash and grab is much more likely than a stolen car. 

+1 for the snapsafe with the cable attachment.  I was planning to mount it down to the frame of my vehicle but I am glad I didn't.  It is easy to move from vehicle to vehicle and even into the house when visiting family.

Edited by chadbuddy
On 10/17/2018 at 10:25 AM, Ronald_55 said:

Here is the item

https://m.harborfreight.com/personal-portable-security-safe-64079.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot provided

You might be able to uses this if you print it. 

K5cN3GK.jpg

Thanks.  I picked this up yesterday in the Harbor Freight store.  Didnt have the coupon, so i paid 19.99 for it, but its worth that to me.  Seems pretty solidly built and secure.  The cable is better than many others ive seen.  Like was mentioned above, its not for long term storage just for the few times i cant carry inside somewhere...also as was mentioned above, I can use this if i ever fly.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Defender said:

Thanks.  I picked this up yesterday in the Harbor Freight store.  Didnt have the coupon, so i paid 19.99 for it, but its worth that to me.  Seems pretty solidly built and secure.  The cable is better than many others ive seen.  Like was mentioned above, its not for long term storage just for the few times i cant carry inside somewhere...also as was mentioned above, I can use this if i ever fly.

Great. I plan on picking one or two up the next time I am there to use for this and other items.  Not foolproof as we have said, but provides that extra layer and time involvement that might make bad guys pass it for an easier target.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 8:39 PM, Wheelgunner said:

Great point.   Let's discuss portable safes that you can put your entire car/truck in.   GO!