I put my pistols in a pair of Pelican 1510 cases, or 40mm morter cases, one with my clothes and the other my photography gear routinely. Pistols unloaded in zip up soft cases, placed into the hard cases which each also hold all my other things. You're going to HAVE to check the guns so no need to try and "pack everything into your carry on" nonsense. I carry on a small bag with my tablet, noise cancelling headphones etc. That makes finding a seat easy since I have no concern about overhead bin space. Smaller locked firearms cases can be slipped under a shirt or jacket and snuck out. Much harder to do with a large case. You have to lock the pistols up by law, but nothing states that that is all that can be in the case. I prefer to protect ALL my checked belongings with the extra scrutiny that the firearms and locks bring.

• Admin Team

I generally just fly with a larger suitcase sized Pelican 1600 series when I'm taking guns.  It's about as non-tactical of a color as you can get(yellow).

I've never had a problem - or much concern.  Make sure you've got appropriate insurance and don't worry much more about it.

• Like 1

I use to travel for work a lot, carried many firearms, I always used one case. I however bought a suitcase that held the pelican inside. Roughed it up some cosmetically but kept it functional 100%. 

Never had a problem. It was an ugly suitcase that did not draw attention. As it happens I did learn over the year's it did not really matter because people use pelican case for s lot of stuff other than guns. 😀

Only sitting I had a problem with was Delta's in Atlanta. Lazy agent at the counter who freaked when I said I needed to declare the firearms. She started telling you can't have a fun!  Her supervisor came over shoot her up and I breezed through. Only incident I ever had. 

Edited by n0rlf
D spelling
4 hours ago, bud said:

Thanks @n0rlf

I know people carry long guns all over the country, to hunt or compete, so I think I'm going to suggest he uses the long Pelican case I have.

I read on Southwest's Terms of Carriage that SWA offers a max of $3,500 insurance on lost baggage so it seems that would be sufficient in the event of total loss thus alleviating risk of total loss (if they actually pay out)

As I understand it the $$$ is not what makes the airlines care so much about checked guns, it's the pile of grief the FAA apparently gives them when firearms do go missing in secure areas. This is why so many photographers I know use this method of including guns with their gear. Tell the baggage clerk that your high dollar camera gear disappeared and they shrug and hand you a claim form then tell you they'll call you if/when it turns up. Tell them a similar case holding a firearm is missing and all of a sudden they are on the radio looking high and low and getting supervisors involved. . .

• Like 2

A little over couple of years ago I flew from FL to OR with a 44 marlin lever gun.

I bought the cheap wal-mart case and a couple of cheapo padlocks

They made me open it up at the ticket counter to have a look and a couple of questions.

What I found weird was arriving in OR it was on the carousel where any Tom, Dick or Harry could run off with it if I wasn't there in time.

9 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

A little over couple of years ago I flew from FL to OR with a 44 marlin lever gun.

I bought the cheap wal-mart case and a couple of cheapo padlocks

They made me open it up at the ticket counter to have a look and a couple of questions.

What I found weird was arriving in OR it was on the carousel where any Tom, Dick or Harry could run off with it if I wasn't there in time.

That's why I was the lone vote above for several cases inside a suitcase.  I want my guns to be as inconspicuous as possible. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bud said:

My sister got a 9mm AR pistol one year for Christmas. I locked it up in a Wal-Mart Plano hard case with eggcrate foam padding and a single master lock. TSA rejected it saying the case was too easy to break into even with a lock installed, due to the weak hinge side of the case. And that something that flimsy would need to have locks on all 4 corners to be acceptible. Made her carry it back out to me and I had to ship to her FFL. Pain in the butt. I appreciate their concern and liability, however I don't think a $300 case is going to deter anyone who wants in either.

I bet if they'd have opened her "flimsy case" and found a lever action Marlin, instead of a scary black AR then she wouldve been deemed safe enough with the flimsy case. 

Luckily I have some different size Pelican cases available from work, so I don't have to shell out for it myself.

I think the cheapo case had 3 lock tabs on it maybe 4. I put a lock on every one anyway. 

At first I was going to disassemble the rifle and pack it in multiple suitcases with clothing but decided it would be an inspection nightmare. I knew I would have to show it, opened, at the ticket counter because I called the airline ahead of time.

Probably different rules with different airlines. I know I was unsure that everything was going to work out until I was safely seated on the plane.

Airport security is a joke anyway. It only stops the most flimsy of plans I feel.

They probably deter average crazed passengers from boarding with a handgun or explosive but not well thought out plans.

So many weak spots with airline/Airport employees. Recent events have seen pilot suicides killing all on board.

Baggage handlers stealing, smuggling and even taking off with a plane.

Of course nothing is secure before the ticket counter/gate. 

When I had to open my case at the counter and declare it was unloaded I was thinking how walking in to an airport with an obvious gun case is probably the best way for a maniac to sneak a loaded serious weapon into the airport .

In plain sight.

When I have done this I used 1 locking case large enough to hold the guns plus mags and suppressor. That then was declared and inspected and after they had me fill out the tag I use a "bicycle lock" type trigger lock to then attach the case to the inside of my suitcase so someone can't just open the suitcase and easily take the locked case out of it. 

Now my experiences have been with Delta. I can't really speak to SW Airlines, but I've flown a fair amount with firearms and not had any issues yet.

• Like 1