Hurricane Michael

OLDNEWBIE

5 hours ago, Raoul said:

You should pay more attention to the news. Did you happen to notice how far inland flooding occurred from the last big blow?

This is pretty significant as Raoul says. Storm surge doesn't just affect those living on the ritzy beach front property.

My own personal experiences were with Hurricane Camille in '69 and Katrina in '05. I lived 77 miles inland from Camille and 50 miles inland (in Pearl River County) from Katrina. I was able to enter those areas a few days after each storm.

Katrina had around a 27 foot surge that went inland until broken by I-10. I saw clothing on still standing power lines left by receding waters in the Ocean Springs area. That's pretty frigging deep for receding waters...

I understand and completely agree that paying to rebuild someone's "Beach Dream House" after each and every storm is ridiculous. But the overwhelming majority of people living in the coastal areas and simply doing that, living and working... working middle class and less, 2-5 miles inland. The storm surge usually causes more damage than the winds in these things.

I know folks suffer "empathy fatigue" and some solid points have been made. But it's pretty devastating for the folks just trying to make a living and raise their kids down there. Been there and done that and now live high and dry in TN. Not every one has that option. And not everyone is looking for a handout. Some of us are self sufficient. Some folks do actually need a hand, or at least a bit of understanding.

My thoughts and Prayers for those that were in the path of this thing. It'll be a rough few weeks for them.

Jamie

Edited by prag
57 minutes ago, Omega said:

The dinosaurs man, the dinosaurs, if man hadn't invented...I mean caused global warming that meteor wouldn't of found us. 

You are never gonna get any of that global warming research money. Thing about THAT when you go cracking those jokes :)

1 minute ago, mikegideon said:

You are never gonna get any of that global warming research money. Thing about THAT when you go cracking those jokes :)

What haven't you heard?  The money is in renewable energy, I'm going to submit a research grant proposal on rabbit powered cars.  Park on the grass, a small enclosure lowers down to feed the rabbit pairs, they eat, mate and run your car faster with every litter.  Here is my prototype.

101457_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1538576514_.jpg

Wow! Mexico Beach.....Looks like a whole neighborhood of stick built homes is just gone. Anybody who decided to ride it out there is surely dead.

Lots of scenes people taped of sheds and other flimsy structures flying through the air like kites.

One clip showed an entire roof, trusses an all flying off a home. I know code has required tie down straps for a long time.

Block homes, hip roofs, inland by 5 or 10 miles minimum away from low lying areas near rivers with storm shutters.

Homes like that I'd stay. Anything less I'd get in my car and drive in a safe direction if there was even a 50 % chance a cat 3 or more was gonna hit.

These news reporters with footage leaning into the wind gives people ideas of riding out storms I'm thinking.

Also people chance the weather experts will get it wrong and are only reporting what a worst case scenario would be like.

Problem is the weather experts are usually somewhat wrong and people feel lucky with the odds in their favor. 

Weather is not yet an exact science. 

16 hours ago, n0rlf said:

Car insurance is mandated also. Yet there is uninsured and underinsured coverage. Lots of folks but coverage, cancel after sending it as proof of coverage. It was widely known after so many got caught after the storms. 

Criminals will find a way. 

I used to be in the mortgage lending and servicing business. If you have a loan on a property there's not a lender out there that participates in the business that doesn't require homeowners insurance. Even if it's assigned risk. The lender doesn't give a crap about the homeowner, just their portfolio and mandated federal reporting. And in my experience the lender receives proof of insurance directly from the companies.

Once again, I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's not common at all due to the fact that the feds have the lenders by the balls.

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

I’m sitting in Orange Beach trying to think of a way I could go help. I understand they want everyone to stay away from there at this point. I guess that’s thes best way to help right now.

Call the Cajun Navy. I'm betting they will drag you in there if you really want. Site is bogged down right now...

Cajun Navy.JPG

• Admin Team

The problem right now is getting there.  Miles of I-10 and 98 are still closed to remove debris.  

Talking to colleagues and friends on the ground, it’s hard to even get to the affected area - and these are folks with air assets and boats   

There is going to be a time to help. Unfortunately that day isn’t going to be today. 

• Like 1

Looks to be a Tourist/fishing area, (Mexico Beach). One guy interviewed who stayed put said lady who was across from him rode it out too,

only today her whole house is gone and her as well.

Weird to see how some of those stilt houses still stand. Must be better built somehow.

Hopefully the majority heeded the warnings and got out. Rescue now will be slow, more like recovery.

Edited by OLDNEWBIE
7 hours ago, Raoul said:

I used to be in the mortgage lending and servicing business. If you have a loan on a property there's not a lender out there that participates in the business that doesn't require homeowners insurance. Even if it's assigned risk. The lender doesn't give a crap about the homeowner, just their portfolio and mandated federal reporting. And in my experience the lender receives proof of insurance directly from the companies.

Once again, I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's not common at all due to the fact that the feds have the lenders by the balls.

I wonder during the housing bubble crash how it went down if a borrower was caught up on loan payments but wasn't paying the insurance?

Most people have taxes and insurance in the payment but those who pay separate, I  imagine the lender wasn't in a rush to take back the home because insurance lapsed.

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I can’t wait to see what it’s going to cost us to rebuild Tyndall AFB.  

Probably at least the budget of the Marine Corps.

Between that and the F-35 that got ditched last week, we’re into 10 figures. 

22 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Secondary market lenders typically dont allow you to keep insurance in that manner. You might get away with it from your local hometown bank, but even they shy away from it.

We always have put enough down to avoid PMI and escrow of taxes and insurance. Our mortgages have never stayed with who we originated them with either.  Banking is one strange beast how they sell mortgages is so odd.

• Like 2

Why isn't  MSM complaining or complimenting Trump on Michael?

Coverage is dying and I haven't seen much negativity on his handling of it.

About 30 killed and a town wiped out.

Normally we'd have a panel of angry people on MSNBC, CNN talking smack about global warming and Trumps messed up handling of recovery. 

Midterms? Juicier stories to paint him bad?

I’m sitting on my air mattress in a church in Altha FL, I’ve been here for a few days and I’ll be back home tomorrow.  

I’ve been cutting trees and assessing damage to our churches here in the area in preparation for the arrival of larger teams in coming weeks. 

I worked in South Florida last year, I worked in North Dakota after the floods in 2011, I was in NC and SC a few weeks ago.  I’ve been there and done that.

I’ve never seen anything quite like this.  This afternoon we drove from the west side of Port Saint Joe to Altha (62 miles I believe) and it was mile after mile of destruction.  Almost all of the roadside power lines are down, 85% of the pine trees you see are snapped about 15’ up from the ground with the tops laying over. Most houses have trees on them or through them.  The power is out everywhere.

Altha is trashed, the church I’m staying in amazingly has minor damage, similar buildings close by were heavily damaged.

Did I mention Altha is around 60 miles inland?

I talked to a local today and he rode it out in his house with his wife, 155 mph winds for 1.5 hours.  Scared to death.

The only other disaster I’ve personally seen that compares to this is the Joplin MO tornado in 2011, but the scale here is much larger.

Ive seen houses with trees across them and on their cars as well, families living in tents, everyone is cooking outside.

These people are hurting and they need help.

James

Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 2