The Great Commission

A.J. Holst

I must have listened to this song dozens of times.

Even with my trust in the Lord, I was crushed under the weight trying to answer the question.

The answer that finally came:

I am, as all of you, an amazing, unique creation of the Almighty God.

I am, as all of you, a beloved son or daughter of Almighty God.

I do not have to understand His love, just simply accept it.

I am, as all you, a living opportunity to reflect the light of Christ in this world of darkness.

Edited by A.J. Holst

A.J. I have read and re-read this thread and I really enjoy the down to earth conversation. We had a young man who ended up being our pastor's grand-daughters husband. He got saved and baptized and you could just see him growing in his faith. One day in a morning prayer time, when he prayed it was something like this, Hey Jesus and he talks with Jesus like me and you might talk. It was really refreshing, because I think too many times we want to paint God as a being so far away, but he isn't. I have this idea that God is leaning down cupping his hand to his ear listening for all of us to have a conversation with Him. I haven't told anyone this and hesitate to do it now and I am not bragging so please don't think that. Sometime in July we had a flash flood and me, my son and grandson had been shooting and stopped by a LGS well as we were leaving a fellow in a well used car had his hood up and it is still lightly raining, he had misjudged the water and got his engine flooded. Well we hook up the jumper cables and it took 30 minutes or more of fiddling to get the car going and the fellow had told me he didn't have but a few dollars and was waiting on a check. So I put the jumper cables up and it just hit me to give this guy some money, I was kind of like you I had about 5 Benjamins and some Washingtons and I said to myself, you have much more than this guy, so I hand him a Benjamin and he looks at it and said are you kidding me and I said nope, not kidding you. You want to know what happened next, he asked me if it was okay if he prayed for me. I almost broke down crying. My son saw me give him money, but didn't see how much, I never told my wife. You know the saying it is better to give than to receive, believe me it is so much better. I used to use the word coincidence, I don't use it anymore, if someone is in your path, they are there for a reason. Stop and figure out the reason and what you could do for them. Hope all of you have a blessed day. Thank you Jesus for all the many blessings you have rained down from Heaven upon me and my family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking of this a few days ago. Years ago (80's) when I was a very young Christian, and not very experienced, I was asked to join with 2 other guys to go and talk to a man (fellow Christian) who had left his middle aged wife for a very young coed. They were living together at that time. Others had tried to reach him, but were unable as he was ducking them. I went more or less as a supporter in body. 

We went to his work place and confronted him by surprise. We stood there, and he talked with us, mostly just chit chat. The longer we chatted I started thinking someone needs to bring the subject up and we need to discuss the reason we came there for. time passed and no one did.

I was very unexperienced, at this sort of thing, so I just silently prayed to God, and asked Him to help me talk to this man effectively. Well, I started, and after chatting for a few minutes I became aware that I really didn't know where the words coming out of my mouth were coming from. I finished, we prayed for him, in a very loving way(meaning I didn't not drop a sledge hammer on him in our conversation), then left.  

As we left everyone in the car was quiet as we traveled back to the church building where we had parked our cars. As we drove I was thinking of what just transpired, and my conversation with our errant friend.  I slowly began to think God gave me those words to try and reach this man. It was like my mouth was moving, and I didn't know where the words were coming from, but I was speaking. Like I said no one was saying a word in that car and i was alone in my thoughts.

When we arrived back at the building, I said well guys, we did and said what we had to do. We prayed for our friend again. I finally told them I just hope we were able to make him consider what he is doing and what he was throwing away. He had been married for 20 years. I told him, if he continued in this arrangement, he was in danger of loosing his soul, and out of fervent love for God, him, and his family, I could not live with myself, if I didn't tell him that.

Long story short, when I read his obituary a few months back I was filled with great Joy. Not for what I said, or the very little part we played in this man's life, but that God used us to encourage him to get straight and come back the church, God, and back to us. He straightened himself up and came back to the church, repented, and his wife allowed him to came back into their home, with 3 children, and he passed away a faithful Christian many years later. 

To God be the glory in all this. I only tell you this, not to brag, but It was the first time I realized God works in our lives. It made me take serious notice to what I did and how I was living my life. I have had 4 other occasions, one where it changed my life and faith to this day, when I realize God has used me, or taken care of me in spite of myself.  God looks out for the humble in heart, and His children in more ways than we ever know. It is life altering when you realize God is on the job, in Your life. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER DOUB IT! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Pop Pop, that was a great story, especially the ending when this man met his maker!! That has always given me problems about what to say, but like you said pray and God will give you the words. You know when you guys first started talking to him, it was like you were discussing the weather, and football and everyone was hedging around the subject at hand. If any of you want to hear a great street evangelist, his name is Ray Comfort and he teamed up with Kirk Cameron and their business is The way of the Master, very uplifting and gives you lots of ways to reach people for the Lord. I won't preach, just that I heard a preacher the other day say don't look at the person, no matter what color or sex or whatever. Look at them like GOD does, he is looking at us as a soul, here is the deal. Everyone has a soul, everyone will spend eternity in 1of 2 places, it is your choice, God wants you to spend it with Him in Heaven or you can do absolutely nothing and go to Hell. Not for a few day, weeks, months or years, but for all of eternity. I will just ask everyone to examine themselves and say if I died in 10 minutes where would I spend eternity. If you are unsure, please either go to your pastor, a pastor or one of us. A lot of folks want to make it a difficult thing, but salvation is very simple, you have to first admit that you are a sinner, we all are born that way. Next you must repent, turn from your sins, ask Jesus to forgive you and try to walk in a new life everyday thereafter. You won't be able to turn from your old ways by yourself, you have to ask God to send the holy spirit to lead and guide you. After that you should find a good Bible believing church that preaches the word and start studying your Bible. And getting baptized isn't necessary, Jesus saves not the water, it is just an outward expression telling the world you have changed and you aren't ashamed of Jesus or being called a Christian.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2021 at 9:09 PM, Dirtshooter said:

I haven't told anyone this and hesitate to do it now and I am not bragging so please don't think that.

I have had numerous opportunities to directly and immediately touch lives.

The Lord knows as does my wife, that's enough.

The only pride I have is having the strength and courage to act when He asks.

(Quote)   And getting baptized isn't necessary,

(Mark 16:15-16)    And He said to them, go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.