AR Pistols?

Grayfox54

Lately I've been noticing a lot of AR pistols for sale around here. I'm beginning to like the idea. I really like the looks of one. Especially when decked out with Magpul furniture and a blade stock. I'm sorta gettin' an itch here and I'd like to know what the group here thinks about them.

Many years ago when I was a young troop in Uncle Sam's Green Machine, my issue weapon for a while was a M3 Grease Gun. I really liked it. So the idea of a sub-gun sized weapon has a certain appeal to me. 

However, I think I'd prefer one in a pistol caliber. Either 9mm or .45acp. Being a 1911 type guy and with my previous experience with the M3, I'm leaning toward something in .45acp. I'm also a reloader, so ammo cost isn't really a decisive factor here. I've also heard that firing the 5.56 out of such a short barrel has a really nasty muzzle flash and is extremely loud. So another reason to go with a pistol caliber. However, there are several listed locally in 5.56 at what seem to be reasonable prices. So maybe I shouldn't rule them out? 

Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be a AR platform. Just something in that basic size and pistol type configuration. So I am open to suggestions. 

I've done a bit of checking around the web. PSA is currently out of everything in pistol calibers. Other guns often sell for $1000+. I don't want to spend that kind of money on what will pretty much be a range toy. So I'm open to suggestions. 

So tell me, what are your experiences with the AR type pistols? The good, bad and ugly? Caliber choices? Accuracy at say 100 yards? Worth it or a waste of money?

BTW: there's a gun show here next weekend. I'd like to know what to look for or even if I should bother looking. 

I bought an AR pistol not too long ago because I wanted a rifle caliber in a small package I could throw in the car. I really don’t see how an AR in a pistol caliber would be any real advantage over a carry pistol.

I’m not putting a brace on mine. I suspect some poor soul is going to get hosed on that. I could be wrong; I’m just not going to be a test dummy. :)

• Like 1

My opinion is the same as that of DaveTN.  I also wanted a rifle caliber in a small package I could carry in the car.  An AR pistol in a pistol caliber really doesn't seem to offer much advantage over a standard pistol, except magazine capacity.

On the other hand, an AR pistol in a rifle cartridge offers much more -- its has significantly greater effective range than a pistol caliber, larger magazine capacity than pistol, and better concealability than a rifle.   I have AR pistols in .300 Blackout in both 10.5" and 7.5" barrels.  I started with the 10.5 because I kept reading that the 7.5s were too short to cycle reliably, but I later found that not to be the case -- a 7.5" .300 Blackout AR pistol set up properly will run like a scalded cat.

I'm also not a fan of the brace -- it offers nothing that I can see.  A pistol buffer tube with a neoprene sleeve works fine and offers a lower chance of making your gun look like an SBR if you run into a traffic stop by Barney Fife.  

Cheers,

Whisper

I have pistols in 300Blk, 5.56, .277, and 9mm, I like to shoot them.  The one I carry in the truck is the 300Blk at the moment, but any of the above will be better than a handgun.  I don't worry about the braces, they are legal,  and if pulled over it's easy to explain to any LEO if they are unaware.  Of course the reason for the stop can make things more difficult, if you are doing stupid things, or get mistaken for someone that did, it may take more explaining.

• Like 1

I have plans for one in the immediate future.  Everyone wants $500+ for them on the used market.  PSA had pistol kits for $269.  Add magazine, stripped lower, and an optic and you're good to go.  Yeah, it's not a to of the line gun, but it more than likely going to be used as a range toy anyway, plus I've had zero issues out of my PSA AR.

I have one I built, I do run a blade brace, have a 10.5" 300blk upper and a 7.5" 5.56 upper. I don't have a can for either but the right muzzle device for your configuration can make a huge difference.

As a couple others have mentioned I like having the ability of the rifle caliber in a portable package that I can keep in my truck or a backpack when traveling.  I have a pistol to fight my way back to my truck gun....wouldn't be any point if I was fighting my way to another pistol caliber (IMO). 

• Like 1

My point of the pistol caliber is that I see this as a self defense type firearm to be used at fairly short range. The AR pistol configuration provides a steadier platform for longer shots if needed, but with a lower risk of penetrating walls and injuring the neighbors. I find the whole idea of cutting loose with rifle calibers in an suburban setting a bit unsettling.  :wacko:

Besides, it'll likely never be used outside of the range. So I see the lower recoil and noise levels as a bonus. ;)

I don't know. I already have guns to cover everything from daily concealed carry to TEOTWAWKI. I really can't come up with any justification to buy this thing other than it might be fun to play with.  I might aught to rethink this whole idea. I guess I'll just go to the gun show, see what they have, handle a few, check prices and see what mood strikes me. :rolleyes:

I've got an AR pistol with a 7.5  in 5.56mm, with a brace.  I love it.  It's gas piston operated, more accurate than I am, runs great and is a fine weapon (Sig).  I want to get a car safe to keep it in the car when i am, but have not found the right one yet.  I have read much though, about how .300 Blackout is better suited to short barrels than is 5.56mm.  So there's that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I find the whole idea of cutting loose with rifle calibers in an suburban setting a bit unsettling. 

Then don’t do it. 

Everything is application driven, firearm type, caliber, sight system, etc. If a pistol caliber AR meets your application needs; go for it. It won’t meet the need for why I want a rifle. Mine is not readily accessible in the passenger compartment. But if the reason I am carrying it presents itself, I will have time to deploy it. I’ve even kicked around the idea of using a scoped AR10. :)

If all you want is a long barreled pistol I think there are several carbines in pistol caliber that are pretty cheap. Grab a Gun has the Ruger PC Carbine with a 10 & 33 round mag for $479

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, 79troublehead said:

I built one. With the brace and a 10.5 barrel it shot well, but the muzzle blast with 5.56 was horrible. I stuck a .22lr adapter in it and its a fun little squirrel gun now.

Another reason to go with the .300 Blackout -- muzzle blast is much less than that of a .223 or 5.56.

Cheers,
Whisper

1 minute ago, Whisper said:

Another reason to go with the .300 Blackout -- muzzle blast is much less than that of a .223 or 5.56.

Cheers,
Whisper

With a good muzzle device most AR calibers can be tamed.  Not a fan of the flaming pig, or the like, but they do reduce the noise level at your ears, though not anyone to the front or side.  I have a Simple Threaded Device on my 300Blk which pushes most of the noise and flash forward, but it reduces the flash quite well.  I got another one for the 5.56 but have not installed it yet, so don't know how much if any improvement can be had over the birdcage.

There just happens to be a 9mm sub gun-ish AR for sale in the classifieds (ahem)

I personally love sub gun style weapons, my go-to right now for that style is a CZ Scorpion. Accuracy at 100 yards is roughly 6 MOA with a red dot. What I have noticed with both my AR type 9mm and CZ scorpion is that generally a 25 yards zero is also a 125 yard zero.

Beyond the utitlity of them, they’re just a blast to shoot. I shoot steel all the time, so being able to shoot at my plates inside of 50 yards without ruining them is a big factor for me as well. 

Edit because I can’t spell and to add pics

2932231D-547A-490F-9C55-217A80B25C02.jpeg

E90AD56A-2537-4AA0-8C5F-032D4342612D.jpeg

Edited by KKing
  • 1 month later...

I agree with the rifle caliber being a 300 BO. A friend built one on a 7.5 barrel with a can and it is a great shooting gun. I built a 9mm with top shelf components and a 10.5 barrel. The 10.5 barrel is weighted so target acquisition is not an issue with rapid fire. A blast for shooting steel, especially dueling trees at 25 yards. I reload so throwing a few 100 rounds down range is not painful.

2 hours ago, SonnyCrockett said:

too much flash,the idea that an AR pistol is a fighting weapon is redic

Oh, IDK, I've run steel out to 100 easily, and a few at 300 yards, with my 10.5 300Blk.  And my .277 Wlv should reach out to the same distance with less drop and more energy at the target. 

4 hours ago, SonnyCrockett said:

too much flash,the idea that an AR pistol is a fighting weapon is redic

I run an 8" 300blk SBR with a PDW stock as my SWAT gun and have ran several other shorties. The 8" 300blk is awesome as I can fit it in a backpack for plain clothes work.  Also love the maneuverability in tight spaces like trailers. Flash and concussion is a little more than full length rifles but in reality they all will leave your ears ringing.  It's all a trade off. I feel the benefits outweighs the negatives. 

• Like 1