Honda CRV- The Good, The Bad and What is better?

A516

Wifey had a 2006 CRV until 2014 when we bought her VW Tiguan. Never had any real problems with the CRV. Replaced the rear axle bearings after about 150k miles. They were noticeably noisy but no other symptoms. My mother in law owns and is still driving the CRV. Probably has well over 200k on the clock by now. 

We were really happy with our CRV.

My mother has had one for several years now. It has been 100% trouble free; just as one would expect from a Honda product.

What's better? Perhaps a Pilot if you need more room than a CRV has.

If it has a Honda emblem on it, you will not find anything more reliable.

Edited by gregintenn
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

If it has a Honda emblem on it, you will not find anything more reliable.

Except for the Odyssey. I know several people who've had fairly serious issues (transmission, engine, HVAC, electrical gremlins) with those. 

My M-I-L has a CRV and it's been fine, somewhere north of 100k miles. They pay stratospheric dealer service prices that make me cringe, but the vehicle hasn't needed anything unusual.  

My mother in law is on her second CRV and loves them. Took the first one up to almost 200k before selling it to get a newer one. No real issues with the first one, she just had it so long she wanted a newer one.

I personally find them to be pretty gutless in the speed department. Barely able to get out of its own way and definitely not great for pulling out into traffic and getting up to speed without pissing people off....which I guess explains why they are so popular among 60-70 year old women. On the freeway they feel about as stable as sitting in a cardboard box strapped to a skateboard.

if your budget permits check out the Toyota Highlander. We got my wife a 2016 a few months back and it's a very smooth ride with adequate power for that size vehicle. Gets about 20.5 mpg cruising at 80mph with a full load. 

We already have a 2017 Highlander that we like very much.  Need to replace a 2011 Honda Accord.  The Accord has been a great vehicle but we need an vehicle that is easier to get into (we are in our 70's with health issues).  Don't want another vehicle quite as big as the Highlander and that costs as much.  Thanks for the replys so far.

• Like 2
On 10/15/2018 at 9:53 AM, A516 said:

We already have a 2017 Highlander that we like very much.  Need to replace a 2011 Honda Accord.  The Accord has been a great vehicle but we need an vehicle that is easier to get into (we are in our 70's with health issues).  Don't want another vehicle quite as big as the Highlander and that costs as much.  Thanks for the replys so far.

This is one of the big things my MIL likes about her CRV.....she finds the height perfect for her to get in and out comfortably. My FIL drives an Accord and it's too low for her so they always take the CRV when the ride together. Both of her's have been very reliable. 

8 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

This is one of the big things my MIL likes about her CRV.....she finds the height perfect for her to get in and out comfortably. My FIL drives an Accord and it's too low for her so they always take the CRV when the ride together. Both of her's have been very reliable. 

My mom got a Subaru Outback for the same reason. 

Well, I have decided to not buy the CRV.  We were all set to buy one when the "oil dilution" problem with the 1.5 liter turbocharged engine came up.  Consumer Reports even talked about it.  Have switched over to a RAV4 depending on "fit"  It's a shame.  Otherwise, we loved the CRV.

13 hours ago, A516 said:

Well, I have decided to not buy the CRV.  We were all set to buy one when the "oil dilution" problem with the 1.5 liter turbocharged engine came up.  Consumer Reports even talked about it.  Have switched over to a RAV4 depending on "fit"  It's a shame.  Otherwise, we loved the CRV.

We have a 2012 Rav4 with 100k. The only issue we've had is a slow leak at the rear main seal which I admit is disappointing. It's nearly $2k to fix so we're leaving it for now. I'd probably buy another one though. We average 27-28 mpg on road trips and the newer ones do even better from what I've read.

The new 2019 Rav4 is a complete redesign that looks nice. You could probably score a good deal on a 2018 close out as well.