GT made Bowie Fighter

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Great looking knife. I have several of GT's creations. My brother does also. Haha

I have a few, I’ve given away more as gifts. This newest one is the best yet that I’ve personally held. 

• Moderators
21 hours ago, 1911alltheway said:

I'm glad you like the sheath.
You have a gorgeous knife there. Its always a challenge to make a sheath to compliment GTs knives.

Well, you succeeded in that challenge. They compliment each other very well. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

It's a pretty knife E.   No doubt about that.  But I will continue the previous discussion we had.  It's not a bowie.   That is more of a Randall #1.  It's a beautiful pattern, but not a bowie.  

Who says?

• The Bowie knife is not well defined. By the mid-20th century most would include some combination of blade length and blade shape. In the mid-19th century, when the popularity of the knife was at its peak, the term was applied to a wide range of blades.[6] Absent a consensus definition, it is impossible to clearly define the origin of the knife. To complicate matters, some American blades that meet the modern definition of the Bowie knife may pre-date Bowie.[7]
4 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Who says?

• The Bowie knife is not well defined. By the mid-20th century most would include some combination of blade length and blade shape. In the mid-19th century, when the popularity of the knife was at its peak, the term was applied to a wide range of blades.[6] Absent a consensus definition, it is impossible to clearly define the origin of the knife. To complicate matters, some American blades that meet the modern definition of the Bowie knife may pre-date Bowie.[7]

I say.  Basically, if Randall didn't call his #1 a bowie, but rather just a fighter, then it isn't a bowie.  Randall patterned some bowies but they all have the same design feature that most associate with a bowie, an exaggerated clip.  Bo Randall is kind of the father of the modern custom knife.  Or at least he and Bill Scagel (whom Bo drew lots of inspiration from) are.  If Randall didn't call it a bowie, I'm not calling it a bowie.  And if you are saying that Randall is wrong, you take it up with him in the next life, cause I'm not.  

Just now, RED333 said:

The buyer says it is, the seller says it is, I wont say it is not. After all, it is not ours.

Well that is the most absurd thing I've ever seen.  If I put Mercedes badges on my Ford Escape and find a buyer that will accept it as a Mercedes, does that make it an actual Mercedes?  Come on.  

And you don't have to agree with me, that's fine.  But I can still have friendly debate with my friend.  

Well I know I should stay out of this but according to all the on line searches I can find on the Randall Bowie Knife I can't see any real difference between GT's Bowie knife design and Randall s Bowie Knife. And like I have always said, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

il_570xN_1126289708_6i71.jpg

GT's Bowie.jpg

35 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well I know I should stay out of this but according to all the on line searches I can find on the Randall Bowie Knife I can't see any real difference between GT's Bowie knife design and Randall s Bowie Knife. And like I have always said, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

il_570xN_1126289708_6i71.jpg

That knife is a Randall 1.   It's a fighter.  Randall calls it an all purpose fighter.   But it isn't a bowie.  The attached screenshots are from the Randall catalog and they show the Randall bowie models.   

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 12.53.25 PM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 12.53.14 PM copy.jpg

11 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

That knife is a Randall 1.   It's a fighter.  Randall calls it an all purpose fighter.   But it isn't a bowie.  The attached screenshots are from the Randall catalog and they show the Randall bowie models.   

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 12.53.25 PM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 12.53.14 PM copy.jpg

Well then someone needs to correct Google because when I typed Randall Bowie Knife into the search section this is the knife they came back with. I have always thought the pictures in the upper left looked like all the bowie knives I have seen in my life so I guess we can blame it on Google and not my stupidity this time. In all honesty I like GT's knives better anyway and yes I do have one of his.............:shrug:

Just now, bersaguy said:

Well then someone needs to correct Google because when I typed Randall Bowie Knife into the search section this is the knife they came back with. I have always thought the pictures in the upper left looked like all the bowie knives I have seen in my life so I guess we can blame it on Google and not my stupidity this time. In all honesty I like GT's knives better anyway and yes I do have one of his.............:shrug:

I'm in no way disparaging GT's work.  Very nice work and I hope to own one myself one day.  

I want to say, this isn't meant to insult anyone's work.  Only spark a little discussion.   

2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I'm in no way disparaging GT's work.  Very nice work and I hope to own one myself one day.  

I want to say, this isn't meant to insult anyone's work.  Only spark a little discussion.   

You should definitely pick up one of his knives. Good work.