Heading to Chicago Next Week

Verne

Actually it is Waukegan, IL but close enough.

I know I can't carry with my TN permit but can I have it in the car for the drive there and back? Reading their law seems ok but want to make sure.

Also what are the knife laws?

Anyone know any good restaurants up that way too?

Going to make the best out of a work trip.

Thanks

I am pretty sure my HCP class said the gun and ammo must be stored seperately in the vehicle out of your reach.

Looks like knives over 3 inches are a no-no.

Take this with a grain of salt. I never plan to go to IL because of their crazy laws. I just looked it up.

• Like 1

You can’t carry, but you can have a loaded gun in your car (With a valid Tennessee HCP on your person)

What I remember about Knives is sketchy, because Chicago (and some of the other cities up in that area) has their own knife laws. I think you can have a pocket knife with a blade under 2.5”. (2.5 For City of Chicago, 3” for the state). You can’t have an auto knife. They passed legislation awhile back that allows it for those with a FOID card, but I don’t think there is anything allowing out of state folks to carry one.

• Like 1

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

^That has all the current laws and court decisions I've seen on IL carry. Keep in mind that there are mag/ammo/firearm restrictions in several areas surrounding chicago. Those local laws are being revised/changed frequently from what I've seen so check any you may drive through(or may wish to drive around), also laser sights are still banned statewide IIRC.

• Like 2

You can have it in your car but anytime you aren't going to be in your car it must be stored in a lockable container (I don't think a locking glovebox counts).  I was in Chicago 2 months ago...cool town...worth the trip just don't go to the southside...people forget its like a small state...  2.7 Million people...so ya gotta give parts of it some slack.

• Like 1

I must travel there for work frequently.  You can carry in your vehicle and you can keep your firearm in your hotel room.  You can not be loaded while transporting from car to hotel room.  

@2.ooohhh   Didn't know about the laser thing, thanks for the heads up, as my newest carry piece came with Crimson Trace grips I suppose now I know I need to leave it at home on the next trip.  

Below is from here: https://knifeup.com/illinois-knife-law/

Illinois Knife Law

illinois-state-seal-150x150.jpgThis article will give you the basics of Illinois knife law in simple everyday language. It will also include excerpts from the law itself and case precedence so you will know exactly what the law means. The excerpts are truncated by me with […] whenever it goes off into something that is unrelated to knives.

What is Legal/Illegal to Own in Illinois

• Balisong knives are legal.
  • Disguised knives like cane knives, belt knives, and lipstick knives are legal.
  • Throwing knives are legal.
  • Bowie knives and other large knives are legal.
  • Throwing stars are illegal.
  • Ballistic knives are illegal.
  • Switchblades and other automatic knives are illegal, UNLESS you carry a valid FOID card (Firearms Owners IDentification).

The state of Illinois only banned the possession of throwing stars, switchblades, ballistic knives, and knives that open with a press of the button.

Limits on Carry

You can carry any knife as long as it is not one of the banned knives listed above and that you do not have the intent to harm someone or break the law. The law goes into more details on this…

53 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I must travel there for work frequently.  You can carry in your vehicle and you can keep your firearm in your hotel room.  You can not be loaded while transporting from car to hotel room.  

@2.ooohhh   Didn't know about the laser thing, thanks for the heads up, as my newest carry piece came with Crimson Trace grips I suppose now I know I need to leave it at home on the next trip.  

I was incorrect, Laser sight are patchwork banned by different counties and cities all around, I just remembered my BIL reminding me to remove mine before my christmas trip up there last year. :)

Seriously though, he's an attorney working for a county DA up there and can't keep the laws straight, no clue how the general populace visiting or traveling around is supposed to. . .

Edited by 2.ooohhh
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

You can’t carry, but you can have a loaded gun in your car (With a valid Tennessee HCP on your person)

What I remember about Knives is sketchy, because Chicago (and some of the other cities up in that area) has their own knife laws. I think you can have a pocket knife with a blade under 2.5”. (2.5 For City of Chicago, 3” for the state). You can’t have an auto knife. They passed legislation awhile back that allows it for those with a FOID card, but I don’t think there is anything allowing out of state folks to carry one.

What about a Kentucky CCDW? My daughter is going up for a field trip at the first of November. I will not be chaperoning, but I will be 'in town/visiting friends.' I want her to be free and independent. With a mean, tattooed, overprotective safety net. Chitown proper.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

What about a Kentucky CCDW?

As long as you have documentation (in your possession) that you are allowed to carry a gun in public in your state; you are okay. Illinois is not recognizing your permit for carry; only for possession in your vehicle.

FOID laws do not apply to out of state residents. Without a carry permit from your state, you can legally transport and possess a firearm, you just have to have it unloaded, cased, and inaccessible to the passenger compartment.

Also keep in mind that while you are not required to notify an Officer; you are required to answer truthfully if asked. Failure to do so is a violation.

If a firearm is found in a vehicle, unless it’s found on a person; it’s in possession of everyone in the vehicle.

• Like 1

almost positive ammo and guns have to be separate. Probably like gun in one bag and ammo in another. I also think they have mag capacity limits there, but not sure since i never plan to go there. 

Some states like South carolina allow you to keep a loaded gun in the car as long as its in the glove box or center console if you have one ( the kind that close). I personally think all states should allow this ( lots i think like reciprocity). 

Restaurants. I have been told just about any italian place in the area will be good and there are some good bbq joints there. Find a place that has blues music and you will find good bbq. The blues in chicago though is more horn oriented than guitar like say MS delta blues. 

44 minutes ago, diamondback said:

almost positive ammo and guns have to be separate. Probably like gun in one bag and ammo in another.

No, You can have a loaded magazine in the case with a handgun, as long as the firearm is not loaded, and is inaccessible.

44 minutes ago, diamondback said:

I also think they have mag capacity limits there, but not sure since i never plan to go there. 

No, Illinois has state preemption of firearm laws for handguns. No capacity limit for a handgun. Long guns are a different matter on local laws. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...