Glock 19 - Two Questions

Say hey everyone,

[1] My Glock 19 generation three is getting pretty worn and scuffed and thinking about getting a new G19 fifth generation. Will my spare parts for my G19 3rd gen. fit the 5th generation?

[2] Ordered a new Wilson match grade barrel for the G19 and read some reviews that some minor filing might be required to make it fit? Filing what and where? The new barrel or inside the slide somewhere?

Yeah I know, if I'm that stupid I don't need to be doing my own gunsmithing!

Thanks!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

Say hey everyone,

[1] My Glock 19 generation three is getting pretty worn and scuffed and thinking about getting a new G19 fifth generation. Will my spare parts for my G19 3rd gen. fit the 5th generation?

[2] Ordered a new Wilson match grade barrel for the G19 and read some reviews that some minor filing might be required to make it fit? Filing what and where? The new barrel or inside the slide somewhere?

Yeah I know, if I'm that stupid I don't need to be doing my own gunsmithing!

Thanks!

[1] I don't think any of them will. I think some parts, like maybe the magazine release from a Gen 4 will work in a Gen 5. Personally, I'd just consider that none of the spare parts will fit, sell them along with the Gen 3 (if you are selling), and buy spare Gen 5 parts. That way it is 100% the way Glock designed it, no questions asked. Or, stick them with your Gen 3 (marked in a bag to remind future you what they are).

[2] Was/is it a barrel for a Gen 3 or Gen 5? I might hold off if I were you. Shoot them Gen 5 quite a bit first. They switched from polygonal rifling to traditional lands and grooves. They now call it a "Marksman Barrel". Unless it is just something that you really, really want, you may find that you don't want/need the Wilson Barrel.

Personally, I love my Gen 5. I started on Gen 3, upgraded to Gen 4, and then sold all my Gen 4 stuff recently because I like the Gen 5's.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2018 at 10:20 AM, GlockSpock said:

[1] I don't think any of them will. I think some parts, like maybe the magazine release from a Gen 4 will work in a Gen 5. Personally, I'd just consider that none of the spare parts will fit, sell them along with the Gen 3 (if you are selling), and buy spare Gen 5 parts. That way it is 100% the way Glock designed it, no questions asked. Or, stick them with your Gen 3 (marked in a bag to remind future you what they are).

[2] Was/is it a barrel for a Gen 3 or Gen 5? I might hold off if I were you. Shoot them Gen 5 quite a bit first. They switched from polygonal rifling to traditional lands and grooves. They now call it a "Marksman Barrel". Unless it is just something that you really, really want, you may find that you don't want/need the Wilson Barrel.

Personally, I love my Gen 5. I started on Gen 3, upgraded to Gen 4, and then sold all my Gen 4 stuff recently because I like the Gen 5's.

I'm thinking about it myself. What exactly do you like about the 5 over the 4?  I like the lack of finger grooves, but I'm still not sure about that cutout at the base, especially on the 19. 

• Administrator

I would pick up a new Gen 4 and call it a day.  I have all of the Gens from 1-5 and the 4th Gen is still my favorite.   The lack of finger groves on the Gen 5 isn't really a plus, in my opinion, as the RTF texture still isn't rough enough and the finger grooves on the Gen 4 actually help you get a more secure grip on it.  Again, my opinion.

The nDLC finish on the Gen 5 slide is nice but it's also super slick.  The Gen 5 needs front cocking serrations because of that.  I've got a scar on my left hand as evidence of this, from where my had was slightly damp from sweat on the range and slid off the slide and across the rear sight, violently, while chambering a round between strings of fire.  The average Joe may never encounter that problem, but Murphy's Law is a bitch.

As for ordering a new barrel for a Gen 5... I have to ask:  WHY?

The Gen 5 barrel is purportedly an improvement over past Gens, and has an obvious crown to the barrel to protect the rifling.   I have found it and any of the other Gen G19s that I have to be more accurate than I am at combat distances.  Not once have I shot a Glock 19 and thought, "This damn thing needs a more accurate barrel".

Just some honest thoughts on the subject.

• Like 1
On 10/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, TGO David said:

I will add... my Gen 5 frame is going out for stippling as soon as the guy I prefer to use has his books open again.  I want it to be as grippy as my M&P M2.0 grips are.

I like and use Talon Grips myself on all my Glocks. Really like the aggressive texture one for competition, but tears up my t-shirts and creates a lot of dust bunnies in the gun if I CCW with it. 

Been there done that... I use skateboard tape on the slide so my fingers don't slip off. 

The mos gen 5 just released with no cut out on the mag well and front serrations dunno if you have any interest in running a optic(which I would highly recommend) but you don’t have to just leave the plate on it... I think your spare small parts will fit a 4 not a 5 but I have no clue about the barrel or where to find that info maybe call Wilson combat and ask them... if they say no ask what’s different and maybe that can help you determine where if it needs filed or if it’s even possible... myself Id put a RMR on it and call it good

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Frenchs24 said:

I have a question I shoot my Glock quite a bit and have never considered spare parts... isn’t the point of it to not need spares? What do you have and has anyone found anything that’s actually a good idea to have

This would be a good topic for a separate thread.  Splitting it off...