Spyderco pocket clip breakage

I've been a user of Spyderco knives quite a few years now. But, I have broken 3 or 4 pocket clips now. This is getting to the point I'm about ready to quit carrying them. Problem is I haven't found anything else I like as much. I use and carry a knife every day and use them for work constantly. Am I the only one having this problem?

• Admin Team

I seem to be the perfect height so that I've broken more than one clip over the years on the FRN models by catching them on door catches as I walk by.

But, Spyderco has always replaced them, and it's been years since they used the FRN clips. They've been metal for years.

Regardless, you'd be hard pressed to find better customer service in the industry. They've sent me screws and a variety of replacement parts over the years.

Give them a call.

• Like 2

**knocks on wood

I rotate my knives pretty often, but the 2 I carry the most are a Delica 4 and a Para 2. I''ve had them for years and years, never so much as bent one, and that's working in auto shops... There are aftermarket options though, there are several sellers that offer deeper cover clips as well.bmaybe give that a whirl?

Are you breaking the actual clips or ripping out the screws from the scales?  I have been carrying spyderco almost exclusively for around 20 years and I have bent many clips but never actually broken one.  Are these wire clips or the full metal ones?

25 minutes ago, FrankD said:

Are you breaking the actual clips or ripping out the screws from the scales?  I have been carrying spyderco almost exclusively for around 20 years and I have bent many clips but never actually broken one.  Are these wire clips or the full metal ones?

Endura 4

01161bed28bc012e029691a49e2ece5858c3c5edd5.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'm really hard on pocket clips, too.  I like a deep carry clip, but wind up banging it on just about everything.

I replaced the clip on my Spyderco with one from this company:  https://mxggear.com/

After just over a year, the color is wearing a little thin, but the clip is holding up great structurally.

Edited by Bubba Fett
On 10/18/2018 at 1:20 PM, Pickaroon said:

Exactly what mikegideon shows above. Typically I walk by a workbench or something and "ping". It seems to take very little to snap them. I think it's bad heat treating.

If your clip looks like his, the pattern is the same as bench made.  the hole spacing looks a little smaller but it may be the same.  If it is, try and get an aftermarket clip.  Perhaps a titanium one.  

Oh look, found a bunch of options.  

https://mxggear.com/collections/endura-4

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

If your clip looks like his, the pattern is the same as bench made.  the hole spacing looks a little smaller but it may be the same.  If it is, try and get an aftermarket clip.  Perhaps a titanium one.  

Oh look, found a bunch of options.  

https://mxggear.com/collections/endura-4

I like deep carry clips too. I may get one for the Endura. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

If you like to deep carry a Spyderco, you owe it to yourself to pick up one of Casey Lynch's clips.

http://www.lynchnw.com

They're hard to come by.  He's almost got that Peter Atwood thing going on, where he makes a batch of something, releases them to his list, and they're gone almost immediately.

That said, BladeHQ usually has some in stock.

• Like 1
On 10/18/2018 at 10:45 AM, mikegideon said:

Endura 4

01161bed28bc012e029691a49e2ece5858c3c5edd5.jpg

This is exactly what mine did too!!...

I pay +/- $200 for a knife and the pocket clip snaps like a piece of cheap pot metal on a wooden bed post while preparing osheets for bedtime... Really?!? Moreover, this “abuse is not covered under warranty...” so now I get to search for a replacement; in addition to the proper tool to remove & replace. Won’t make this mistake again. 

2018-11-11 23-03.pdf

Edited by Matthewhs67