Need input: M&P9 Shield v1.0 versus v2.0

Ronald_55

Toying with the idea of getting a Shield 9mm. I have a M&P 2.0 .45 that I like.  I see used v1.0 Shields for sale pretty regularly at decent prices. Is the v2.0 worth the extra to buy new or lightly used versus the v1.0?

Looking because I want to solidify which pistol I am going to cc. Some of my others are large size and probably not a comfortable fit day to day. I have a SR9c that I like the size of, but I promised to sell it back to the buddy I bought it off of since he has gotten over his financial hump. That would generate a bit of free cash though I should gave just told him I am keeping it. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both the original Shield in 9mm and the Shield .45, which has the 2.0 features.  

I greatly prefer the heavily textured grip of the 2.0 to the grip of the original.  The original is not bad, but it's just a little bit too slippery.  If it's a gun you plan to keep for a long time, the 2.0 is probably worth the difference in price just for the much better grip texture.  (Note -- My wife finds the 2.0 grip too rough for her liking and prefers the original, so my view on the grips is clearly not universally held.  Make sure you fire both before you buy so that you can judge for yourself.)

The only other difference of any significance between the original and the 2.0 Shields is the trigger -- it's much better in the 2.0.  However, if you get the original, you can put an Apex sear in it for $40 and it is a vast improvement.  If you can get the original Shield for more than $40 less than the 2.0, and you don't care about the grip texture, then that would be the way to go.  

That's my opinion, and it's worth every cent you paid for it.  :)

Cheers,

Whisper

Edited by Whisper

I have a Shield V1, and a 4.25" 2.0.  The 2.0 trigger is really better.  The grip of the 2.0 is fantastic, as long as you wear a T-shirt.  Some people have thought the texture to be too sharp.  I like it a lot, especially after some use.  I never carry the shield unless I'm wearing summer type clothes.  I wish I had waited for the 4" 2.0, but the 4.25" stows fine IWB and good enough OWB (with a slightly higher chance of printing.)

I put an Apex aluminum trigger in my shield 1.0 and that made a big improvement. I much prefer the blade style trigger safety over the hinged. I also have a Hogue slip-on grip that makes it feel better in my hand. I'd guess those 2 mods add up to nearly the difference between the 1.0 and 2.0, but the 2.0 still has the hinged trigger so I'd want to change that regardless. 

54 minutes ago, peejman said:

I put an Apex aluminum trigger in my shield 1.0 and that made a big improvement. I much prefer the blade style trigger safety over the hinged. I also have a Hogue slip-on grip that makes it feel better in my hand. I'd guess those 2 mods add up to nearly the difference between the 1.0 and 2.0, but the 2.0 still has the hinged trigger so I'd want to change that regardless. 

So how much trouble is swapping the trigger out?

I carry to 1.0 shield with safety.  perfectly happy.  I have shot the 2.0.  A little nicer for the reasons mentioned, but no difference as a carry gun except for the highly textured grip.  If you wear it next to your skin you will wind up sandpapering the panel down.  J Floyd had the 1.0 without safety for 269.  I like either, just personal preference and cost issue.

49 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

So how much trouble is swapping the trigger out?

Other than taking the whole gun apart, it's not bad. 

:)  There's a couple videos that show how to do it. Field strip, knock a couple pins out, pry the guts out of the frame, swap the trigger (which involves a bit of controlled hammering), then put it back together.  Having 3 hands would make the reassembly easier, but I got it. 

Based on the videos, the full Apex kit with trigger, sear, and springs really is taking the whole gun apart. Again, not too bad other than some of the tiny pieces can be a pain if you're fumble fingered like me.