TWD Season 9

Oh Shoot

Everybody quit watching or something?

So, now that we know Rick's a goner, will it happen before the mid season break? Will Daryl become the de facto leader and actually have to speak now and then? :) 

Can the show survive long without him?

- OS

• 2 weeks later...

AMC says they have plans for 10 more seasons, although personally I doubt it goes on anywhere near that long.  Viewership is less than half what it was at the show's peak, and the "buzz" over the show is mostly gone.  Having said all that, it's still a major success in today's cable world and remain's AMC's highest draw by far.  Cable is suffering a slow death and the show is old, but 6 million weekly viewers is a formidable number by today's standards and has been for several years.  As an example, "Breaking Bad" never exceeded 3 million and plodded along mostly in the 1-2 million range, "Mad Men" only rarely got to 3 million viewers during it's run, and both of these were considered highly successful shows even before cable-cutting became so widespread. Nine years is a long time for any show and the fact that TWD has kept it's relatively high rate of viewership for that long is impressive, however, a serialized show with no discernible endgame in which the characters seem to mostly wander around rather aimlessly is likely to eventually wither and die despite the show's popularity.  Few shows continuously gain ratings throughout the entire series run, and those that do always have some sort of "goal" or known endpoint, ala "Game of Thrones" (which will conclude next year BTW).

Iwalking-dead-ratings.jpg

I couldn't find a complete ratings chart for TWD any later than this one, here's a GOT chart for comparison:

0a14ad296345517541ffdf10dbe5dc98.png

The last two episodes have been good, and this coming weekend's "farewell Rick" show will likely draw big viewership, but after that I'll be surprised if ratings don't continue their decline.  The TV show and the comics will have diverged pretty far by that point and maybe that will create enough uncertainty about the TV show storyline to keep interest, but I am not optimistic.

8 hours ago, Defender said:

Ive gotten to where I actually like Fear The Walking Dead better...

A show with ratings dropping even faster than TWD.  It's been renewed again for next year, but I'm not sure it will ever make it as long as the original has ...

1 minute ago, No_0ne said:

So what's next for this show? Rick is gone, or maybe not, the little girl becomes the world's youngest gunslinger, and Morgan is wandering around out west somewhere.  Where is all this going ...

Not toward reality is that was Rick's .44 she was shooting...

I still see some story, but feel cheated with how it went and a time jump...

If you watched Talking Dead, you'd know that AMC has big, big plans for the Walking Dead story line. Rick may be gone from Walking Dead, but there will be at least one or more made for TV movies that will continue his story in the new mysterious location that helicopter was headed for. There will also be more TV movies showing how the zombie apocalypse has affected the rest of the world. AMC is planning a complete Walking Dead universe with multiple entries. 

As for the Walking Dead show itself, there's another time jump starting next week. This time its six years if I understand correctly. They're revamping the whole story line, making over some of the old characters and adding new ones including the new Judith. Lots of interesting stuff to breath new life into the show. It sounds really interesting. I hope they pull it off. 

Talking Dead was on but I didn't pay much attention to it.  I have no doubt that AMC wants to milk what they can out of TWD, but I personally doubt that they will ever be able to duplicate the success of the original.  Zombie shows have always had a limited audience and TWD is old.  It's still a profitable show for AMC but not likely to sustain that for many more years.  Plus, proliferation doesn't always equate success in spinoffs and sequels, even Disney managed to lose money on their latest iteration of the Star Wars franchise, which is mind-boggling in and of itself, not to mention that the Star Wars universe is orders of magnitude larger than that of TWD ...

8 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I applaud you guys for sticking with this show. After Glen got his head turned into ground beef I quit watching. What happened to Rick?

Flew off into the sunset.  They left it open for him to return I guess, the Trash Chick had him flown out in one of the helicopters that they teased us with.

5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I applaud you guys for sticking with this show. After Glen got his head turned into ground beef I quit watching. What happened to Rick?

Had a collision with some rebar, perforated abdomen, spent the rest of the show having flashbacks/hallucinations and reuniting with dead people from the past, while leading the zombie hoard away from (somewhere?), blew up the bridge he's been obsessed with this season, zombies fried and washed away.  Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth by remaining survivors, who are unaware that Rick landed on the riverbank ( a la Glen and the dumpster ), where he's kind of kidnapped/rescued by the Trash Lady and somebody in helos.  Sequels/guest appearances implied, and another time jump to later, where apparently somebody or something called whisperers make an entry ...

No flashback to the Carl kid, who is still pissed over being fired from the show last year, I guess ...

1 hour ago, No_0ne said:

Had a collision with some rebar, perforated abdomen, spent the rest of the show having flashbacks/hallucinations and reuniting with dead people from the past, while leading the zombie hoard away from (somewhere?), blew up the bridge he's been obsessed with this season, zombies fried and washed away.  Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth by remaining survivors, who are unaware that Rick landed on the riverbank ( a la Glen and the dumpster ), where he's kind of kidnapped/rescued by the Trash Lady and somebody in helos.  Sequels/guest appearances implied, and another time jump to later, where apparently somebody or something called whisperers make an entry ...

No flashback to the Carl kid, who is still pissed over being fired from the show last year, I guess ...

Rick’s completely impossible survival made Glen’s dumpster get away totally believable.

1 hour ago, No_0ne said:

Even worse I think, Rick seemed to have been washed down the river since the field the helicopter landed at was not near the bridge.  

I feel the writers are getting lazy, too many unbelievable scenarios and inconsistencies. 

37 minutes ago, Omega said:

Even worse I think, Rick seemed to have been washed down the river since the field the helicopter landed at was not near the bridge.  

I feel the writers are getting lazy, too many unbelievable scenarios and inconsistencies. 

I think he probably got blown into the next county, into that same river as it meandered back around, and was then rescued.  It’s the only reasonable explanation.  😀