Seattle gun storage law 'eminently reasonable,' judge says in tossing NRA, gun group's lawsuit

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/seattle-gun-storage-law-eminently-reasonable-judge-says-in-tossing-nra-gun-groups-lawsuit

Published October 21, 2018

A Seattle judge on Friday dismissed a lawsuit filed by the National Rifle Association and a local gun rights group against a law that will require gun owners to lock up their firearms when not carrying or using them.

King County Superior Court Judge Barbara Linde tossed the suit after the city argued that the plaintiffs lacked standing because the group could encourage its members to practice safe storage and that the law hadn't even taken effect yet, the Seattle Times reported.

“It seems the NRA jumped the gun in filing their lawsuit against this eminently reasonable legislation meant to protect children and the vulnerable,” Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes said in a statement.

Alan Gottlieb, president of the Bellvue, Wash.-based Second Amendment Foundation, who filed the suit with the NRA, suggested they would appeal the decision.

“It is frustrating when judges refuse to address the merits of a case and duck by saying the law is not yet in effect and plaintiffs have not proven that they will be arrested if they violate the law,” Gottlieb said in an email. “We will continue this litigation and force a judge to rule that the law is illegal.”

“It is frustrating when judges refuse to address the merits of a case ... We will continue this litigation and force a judge to rule that the law is illegal.”

— Alan Gottlieb, president, Second Amendment Foundation

The NRA did not immediately respond to a request for comment Sunday morning.

The storage law is set to take effect in February. A gun owner can be fined up to $500 if a firearm is not locked up. The fines jump up to $10,000 if someone uses the firearm to commit a crime.

Two Seattle residents, Omar Abdul Alim and Michael Thyng, filed the suit almost immediately after Mayor Jenny Durkan signed the law.

They claimed the storage requirement violated Washington state law and cited a fear of home invasions for wanting to keep their firearms unlocked.

The dispute comes as voters will decide on a state-wide gun-control measure that includes a more stringent storage provision.

1 minute ago, The Legion said:

Two Seattle residents, Omar Abdul Alim and Michael Thyng, filed the suit almost immediately after Mayor Jenny Durkan signed the law.

This part struck me as interesting. Does this sound like your typical NRA member or gun rights activist? No. Yet here he is doing his best to stand up for our rights. This is a good example of why @TGO David made that podcast earlier this year. We might be surprised who our allies are.

As for this law, I thought this is what the Supreme Court struck down in Chicago some years back. I can't see how this will hold up in court.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

This part struck me as interesting. Does this sound like your typical NRA member or gun rights activist? No. Yet here he is doing his best to stand up for our rights. This is a good example of why @TGO David made that podcast earlier this year. We might be surprised who our allies are.

As for this law, I thought this is what the Supreme Court struck down in Chicago some years back. I can't see how this will hold up in court.

I am starting to believe that they don't care if it holds up in court. Obstruct, delay, and hope they run out of money. We are talking the heart of Libtopia. They gonna do it with feelings. Damn the logic.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

@Erik88 I agree. Many would be surprised at many of my friends and their strong support for gun rights.  Sad some would not be accepted in certain circles for their appearance. They do more for gun rights than most, they just don't post it on Facebook every 30 seconds or "look the part". 

• Like 2

Our biggest problem isn't the true gun haters. It's all the people with limited information that wind up assisting the gun haters. After all, everybody is for background checks, right? Who would object to them except some evil ass NRA monsters.

We need gun control now so we can stop killing kids. Never mind that none of our common sense wouldn't have saved one life. What do they call them? Oh yeah... useful idiots.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

King County is a very tough place to live free.  Every time I drive through on my way to the range I see that "Entering King County" sign and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.  I don't buy anything in King County and I'm certainly looking forward to moving back to TN when able.  Even still there are plenty of like-minded people out here trying to do their best to live in accordance with these laws while also trying to repeal them through the NRA or similar organizations.  The gun control people got most of what they wanted in the recent I-1639 legislation, but they are still wanting to ban assault rifles and high capacity magazines.  2020 might have those initiatives on the ballot.  We need to learn from these laws being passed in WA and work to prevent them being passed in TN.  

I'm beginning to think Oregon and Washington want to become part of California with their crazy gun laws. Just take over the whole west coast. It's no wonder why people are trying to get out of those states and into states that have common sense gun laws.