Preparing to transplant from Florida

Hello all.  After growing up in Massachusetts, spending a lot of time on Cape Cod and up in Maine, I moved to Florida upon graduating high school.  Other than a brief stint in the Bahamas, I've been in Florida for the past 30+ years.  Some time in the Keys but have spent my longest stretch on Central Florida's East Coast.  I have another 4 years and then I can retire from my job with a decent pension.  At that time I plan to get out of Florida to relocate to somewhere in East Tennessee.  Between now and then I will be visiting more frequently to determine exactly where I want to move.   On those trips I plan to exercise my 2A right to the extent it has not yet been eroded.

I'm here to learn the Tennessee firearms laws so I am within the letter of the law when carrying both open and concealed via the reciprocity of my Florida CCW license.  I've already been reading some of the older threads.  Certainly there's some nuances, good and bad, differentiating what's allowed in TN versus FL.  Nice that I have the option of open carry in TN.  Too bad that I cannot imbibe in even a sip of alcohol while carrying in TN.  An odd thing about the FL statute is that one is still legal using a firearm with a greater BAL than what is allowed to drive a car; you can be over the limit for driving but still under the limit to shoot 😕  Too bad that the no gun signage has the force of law in TN, but these are all things I need to learn.  I also need to learn the laws regarding transport of long guns.  Seems each state is just a little bit different, some requiring them to be encased, others requiring the long gun not be concealed and some states allowing both conditions.

I also need to learn if there is anything beyond Federal regulations regarding SBR's, SBS's or silencers or a prescription as to how they are transported.

I enjoy various disciplines from defensive handgun shooting all the way to long distance precision shooting out to 1,500 yards.  I do a fair amount of training by attending classes in the numerous disciplines here in Florida as well as out of state.

I'll continue to poke around in the old threads to decrease my ignorance.  If anyone can direct me to a good resource in the form of a book that clearly explains all I need to know about the TN firearms laws, please let me know.  In Florida I have alway relied on this book and always purchased the new editions that have come out with the changes to the statutes.  I highly recommend it if you want to know the in's & out's of the Florida laws.   https://www.floridafirearmslaw.com

Welcome!  

Handgunlaw.us is a fairly concise summary of what most need to know. 

You have to get permission from the ATF prior to traveling with NFA items.  I'm not aware of any local laws or prohibitons, but I'm not an NFA expert either. I'd certainly expect some excitement should you come into contact with law enforcement while transporting them. 

Most public ranges do not allow FA fire and will get excited about any NFA item. 

Another welcome from East TN.  I have used an app called CCW on my iPhone for years, it cost a couple of dollars but the data is updated to latest law changes nearly every time I open it and it covers all the states. You have access to most of the actual laws for reference. You can also fill in what carry permits you have and it shows what states accept your permits.

I’m focused on East Tennessee for a mix of the weather, geography and demographics.  I’ll be looking for a home on a piece of heavily wooded land. I’m tired of maintaining a lawn or dealing with a pasture.  Privacy and seclusion are important to me. Although I’ll consider 5 acres I’d prefer to be at 10 acres or more. 

15 hours ago, peejman said:

Welcome!  

Handgunlaw.us is a fairly concise summary of what most need to know. 

You have to get permission from the ATF prior to traveling with NFA items.  I'm not aware of any local laws or prohibitons, but I'm not an NFA expert either. I'd certainly expect some excitement should you come into contact with law enforcement while transporting them. 

Most public ranges do not allow FA fire and will get excited about any NFA item. 

I know the federal laws on NFA items pretty well. I wasn’t sure if Tennessee had any nuances. Just to clarify a point, although  notification to ATF is required before transporting a SBR or SBS, no notification/paperwork is required for transporting a silencer beyond state lines. 

I got spoiled with the 100 yard range I had set up in the horse pasture of my 5 acres. It was nice to step out my back door of the  house to shoot any time I want. I plan to duplicate that set up in TN. Hopefully an even longer set up ;)

4 hours ago, billyblazes said:

I’m focused on East Tennessee for a mix of the weather, geography and demographics.  I’ll be looking for a home on a piece of heavily wooded land. I’m tired of maintaining a lawn or dealing with a pasture.  Privacy and seclusion are important to me. Although I’ll consider 5 acres I’d prefer to be at 10 acres or more. 

If you want to see some property in the Cookeville area message me. I've been showing a few properties within a half hour or so that might meet your needs.  

36 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

Oldnewbie, you have a PM from me. Good thread you linked me to, but also a little disheartening. 

Well truthfully cities are similar everywhere. More and more we see you need rural property to comfortably set up a no hassle range. You can't assume you're gonna move to TN and be able to shoot anywhere. I'd also note that every year we're a little less country than the year before. 

It's the reason I support my local range. Of course my local range owns several hundred acres....

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Well truthfully cities are similar everywhere. More and more we see you need rural property to comfortably set up a no hassle range. You can't assume you're gonna move to TN and be able to shoot anywhere. I'd also note that every year we're a little less country than the year before. 

It's the reason I support my local range. Of course my local range owns several hundred acres....

Your 1000% right Raoul!!! When I moved here were I live 20 years ago between Gallatin and Hendersonville about 15 miles when you left the city limits in either town on either side of the 31E all you saw was beautiful farm land and cows grazing and big beautiful farm houses. Now that same trip you see Apartments, Housing developemt with 5000 sq ft houses with yards so small you could cut them with a weed eater selling around $650,000.00.

I was thrilled when the state stepped in and shut down one developer on one of the beautiful Farms. It was at 1 time a dairy farm and the farmer had kept the Greystone Dairy Barn up and needing little to no restoration and the building is over 130 years old and it sets right in the middle of a field of flat level land of about 100 acres that was pastures during the dairy farming period.  A developer was 95% done with closing on the farm with the grandchildren of the owner that had passed away. The state told the developer he could not build on any of the land that the barn is located on and it is going in some historic organization for protection. Because of the lay out of the farm there was no way the developer could build on the property and be able to have roads and water and sewer lines to the houses so he pulled out and from what I have heard the The Tennessee Historic Society has made an offer to buy the all  property. I have not heard any more about it since they made the offer. New signs have gone up stating that it is a historic site.

People who retire early enough and are fit enough to enjoy a large tract of land, They have it made!

If you don't have to work, or commute to a job in a City, affordable land is still for sale. 

Not as far out from Civilization as you might expect either.

And if you get tired of living and playing on your acreage and start getting lonely?

Don't worry, If you wait a few years, the population will reach you eventually.😟