Small propane heaters

25 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Does anybody use one of these small propane heaters you attach to a small bottle while hunting?  I am wondering if they put off any kind of smell.  The older I get the less time I can sit out in the cold.

087a0610-e984-43b3-819e-c12fae63a7a6_1.f

I have 1 I use in my house at times to knock the chill off without turning house unit on. It is on a 20 lb gas bottle and I also have 5 smoke and toxic Gas detectors scattered through out my house and it has never set off any of the toxic gas detectors when I use it so I would guess they don't put any fumes in the air.  Someone may have better information that does use them for hunting. 

• Like 1

If you are in an enclosed blind it may warm the space. I have used a heater that appears to produce more BTU’s than the one in picture and it sat on a 20 lb LP bottle like Bersa mentioned. The blind I was in had open area to shoot and the heater was a good hand warmer but didn’t warm blind much.  

I started with one like that, but mine was loud, but the noise and smell didn't seem to bother the deer.  My stand was more enclosed, but the windows were opened constantly and the stand was not terribly airtight. But I moved to one of these and never regretted it, much warmer, runs quite and less danger of kicking it over.  The ceramic burner really makes a difference.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Portable-Buddy-Heater-9K-Btu-Propane/14710768

4371666e-8865-4c3e-8fbd-7336e175650b_1.3

They also have this one if that one seems too pricey, if the burner design is close to the one above it should be quieter.

https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/mr-heater-little-buddy-indoor-propane-heater-f215100-mh4b.html

62090579.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Omega said:

I started with one like that, but mine was loud, but the noise and smell didn't seem to bother the deer.  My stand was more enclosed, but the windows were opened constantly and the stand was not terribly airtight. But I moved to one of these and never regretted it, much warmer, runs quite and less danger of kicking it over.  The ceramic burner really makes a difference.

They also have this one if that one seems too pricey, if the burner design is close to the one above it should be quieter.

https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/mr-heater-little-buddy-indoor-propane-heater-f215100-mh4b.html

62090579.jpg

Those were the two I had been looking at.  Thanks for the info.  

Now I just have to figure out to attach them to a tree when I am in my ladder stand instead of my ground blind.

1 hour ago, Omega said:

62090579.jpg

I have the big double version of these as emergency heat for the house. Only used it once, but it worked well. 

2 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Those were the two I had been looking at.  Thanks for the info.  

Now I just have to figure out to attach them to a tree when I am in my ladder stand instead of my ground blind.

The radiant heat should work, even in a ladder stand.  The larger one should hang easy enough, not sure of the smaller one, my smaller one has a wire handle, but it hangs awkwardly, be kind of hard to get it aimed right.

I can't speak as to a tree stand, but we have 2 of the Mr.Heater Big Buddy heaters for emergency heat use and they put out a remarkable level of heat for their size. When we hit zero degrees here in the Knoxville area several years back we lost electrical power for several hours. We set up one in our living room (open to dining room) and one in the garage. The living room area is about 1200 Sq Ft...we were toasty warm and we had no pipes freeze because of the heater in the garage, unlike many of our neighbors and friends.

Needless to say I'm sold on these little heaters.

• Like 2