What is your chosen Self Defense ammo

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Defender said:

Ive been interested in the Critical Duty ammo.  How do you have it mixed or which with which weapon?

Even though I know they have some design differences to help them fulfill slightly different roles, the truth is I just use them interchangeably. It’s all a matter of what’s in stock when I go to buy some defensive ammo. 

That said, they do work best with critical duty in your full-size to midsize guns, and critical defense in your smaller compact or subcompact guns. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

I've been a fan of gold dots for years, but honestly I carry whatever I have reloaded at the time, even lead cast.  Most any bullet will do just fine in an SD situation, as long as you place the rounds where you want them.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Omega said:

I've been a fan of gold dots for years, but honestly I carry whatever I have reloaded at the time, even lead cast.  Most any bullet will do just fine in an SD situation, as long as you place the rounds where you want them.

Hard to beat Gold Dots. I never can find them when I'm looking.

Hornady CD, cause it's easy to find

In my 9mm guns I currently carry 147gr HST. But I'd be comfortable with anything on DocGKR's "list".

Oh and full wadcutters in my .38's. Adequate penetration and a wadcutter with a sharp ogive has a tendency to cut tissue as it passes through...a HP may expand. Just an opinion and observation.

"Streichers has 147 HST for $21.99. Use code “comeback” for 10% off and free shipping through Sunday." I copied this from another site I frequent, but I also ordered a few as these are 50 round boxes and quite a few of the vendors seem to be moving to restrict 50 box sales to LEO's per manufactures guidelines.

Bone Frog usually has decent pricing as well.

I simply can't afford the 20 round boutique boxes at the same price for only 20 rounds...

GDs are my preferred in 9, 124 or 147

accurate (for me) and web based test reveal consistent performance.

Like Prag, I like swc-hp for my .38/.357 wheelies.

The win pdx1 seems to be a good .357sig loading.

7 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Similar experiences.

124gr HST in the 9mm, 230gr Critical Duty in the 45acp, Critical Defense in the 380.

This is based on research i did two years ago. I also bought a three year suply at the time. If possible buy 50rnd boxes it saves a surprising amount of money.

I'm not a fan of boutique ammo. I prefer something that LE might choose.

11 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I reload 90% or more of my ammo, so I bought a few boxes when they were available. When I run out, I'll likely get some Hornady Action Pistol (HAP) bullets to reload if I can't find GDs.  But Gold Dots will probably be available again, I just bought some for my .277WLV which were until now only available as pulls.  I also have a few molds for some cast bullets that seem to perform well.  

6 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I only reload 45. The lawyer types discourage reloading your defensive ammo. I have still considered reloading 9mm. Just so cheap to buy target ammo in 9mm.

I call BS on the lawyer, if it is a true self defense shooting, the ammo will not matter unless you have mercury tips or something.  There are thousands reloading their own, and haven't, as of yet, heard anyone get prosecuted over an SD with reloads.  If it's a bad shoot, sure they can throw anything against the wall, but I highly doubt they can show a reload is any more or less lethal.  If that were the case, they could argue that shooting someone with anything bigger than 9mm is overkill. 

3 minutes ago, Omega said:

I call BS on the lawyer, if it is a true self defense shooting, the ammo will not matter unless you have mercury tips or something.  There are thousands reloading their own, and haven't, as of yet, heard anyone get prosecuted over an SD with reloads.  If it's a bad shoot, sure they can throw anything against the wall, but I highly doubt they can show a reload is any more or less lethal.  If that were the case, they could argue that shooting someone with anything bigger than 9mm is overkill. 

They just said that it was something that could be thrown on the pile, not the whole case. Doesn't worry me that much. Was just part of the reason I haven't reloaded my SD stuff.

Winchester Ranger 9mm 147gr (RA9T) right now. Not sure what I’ll use when this runs out. I load up 5 mags of round nose and use my mag in my carry when I go to the range. I think I have a few more 50 round boxes left. I liked Cor-Bon when I had a G26 also.