What is your chosen Self Defense ammo

21 hours ago, Defender said:

Mostly Hornady Critical Defense, but got some magazines with some other self defense  AMMO AS WELL.

+1 I tried other self defense type ammunition, couldn't get them to function 100% of the time. Hornady works every time. I sure don't use it for practice, It cost too much. Checked it out, It expands well. 

1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

They just said that it was something that could be thrown on the pile, not the whole case. Doesn't worry me that much. Was just part of the reason I haven't reloaded my SD stuff.

Truthfully, I had the same concern back when I got my first CCW permit, especially with some of the high profile gun mag writers putting that out left and right.  But after decades of experience, anecdotal evidence, and many online discussions I've had, I've come to the conclusion that it's not something I'm going to worry about. 

5 minutes ago, Omega said:

Truthfully, I had the same concern back when I got my first CCW permit, especially with some of the high profile gun mag writers putting that out left and right.  But after decades of experience, anecdotal evidence, and many online discussions I've had, I've come to the conclusion that it's not something I'm going to worry about. 

Yeah. You're probably right. I do have some Hornady hollow point bullets in 45, that I wouldn't hesitate to carry.

I believe just about any quality self defense ammo will get the job done. What I do is test several of the popular brands and go with what shoots and works best in my gun. 

Current selections are:

.45acp - Winchester 230gr SXT

.38 Special - Federal 158gr LSWHP Plus P ( the old FBI load)

.380 - Federal 90gr Hydra-Shok

21 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

No biggie. I just wondered if it really was?

I didn't think so. I don't know what's up with that LOL. Probably just my quick link without reading it closely. I claim a tired and aging brain...

It looks like Bone Frog has 'em in 9mm, $23.00/50 rds

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/products/9mm-135gr-p-hornady-critical-duty-90225

I also read something irritating on a couple of websites. It looks like some of the manufacturers are beginning to restrict sales of 50 round boxes of their SD ammo to LEO Only. As I understand this it is a marketing choice and I've seen boxes marked such for many years, but apparently the tracking technology is now available and the manufacturers are starting to enforce this through their vendors.

The below is from the FAQ's at Bone Frog... Anybody know anything more or differently?

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/apps/help-center#!ive-purchased-these-products-from-you-previously-federal-premium-tactical-hst-jhp-and-speer-gold-dot-hp-why-are-they-now-available-to-lequalified-customers-only

50 round boxes of these products have always been intended for Law Enforcement; 20 round boxes of these products are marketed for retail purchase. The manufacturers are getting stricter on these guidelines as it pertains to online sales, thus we have been asked to abide by indicating this on these product pages and asking customers to register with us in order to purchase these products.  Currently we are required to restrict the purchase of 124gr but most likely eventually all 50 round LE boxes will be restricted. 

It might be a good idea to stock up on a some 50 rd boxes while they are still so affordable.

Jamie

Edited by prag
28 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

@prag

Yeah I picked up a box of 9mm Critical Defense at Cabela's yesterday and it was pretty much the same price for 25. 

It does suck to restrict 50 round boxes to LE via retail. I understand if they direct sale to departments or via a LE website. 

I'm not 100% certain, but from what I read you can still pick up the new, but older bar code, 50 rd boxes for a decent price, for the moment. As those move out the restrictions will be in play. This is just interweb chatter btw... but I picked up 250 rounds of HST with free shipping and no tax from Streichers. Doubt they'll be any cheaper down the road.

Next time any of you are coming through Chattanooga on I24, look up GTs in Rossville, Georgia. A 10 minute drive from 24 will get you at a large gray building. They sell 50 round boxes of HST, Hornady, and GD all day long. Really cool guys too. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, prag said:

I'm not 100% certain, but from what I read you can still pick up the new, but older bar code, 50 rd boxes for a decent price, for the moment. As those move out the restrictions will be in play. This is just interweb chatter btw... but I picked up 250 rounds of HST with free shipping and no tax from Streichers. Doubt they'll be any cheaper down the road.

Looks like you bought them out. Shows Reserve Now on them. Lol I may have to order some soon. Looks like more will be in quickly.

One of the very reasons I started looking into casting my own.  All these restrictions on legal ammo irritate me, if the round itself is legal, why is it higher priced for civilians (contracts and bulk purchases not withstanding), if the ammo is over the counter, there should be no qty restrictions whatsoever.