Clueless looking for handgun for husband

Jcrouch05

I need help? My husband has want to take the handgun carry class and get a small concealed weapon for some time now and I have been his detourant... I know shame. He's a sportsman hunting fishing etc. But nothing small...

I want to change that for Christmas! But I have no idea what to get or ask for or if I'm being ripped off? Can someone please help?

Just to let you know what will be involved in your decision:

Revolver ? (single action or double action). Semiautomatic ? (single action, double/single or double action only) (striker fired or hammer fired). Then you have to decide on the caliber and there are numerous ones (380, 38, 9mm, 40cal., 45) and several more that I didn't list. Next, you have to choose a manufacturer, again there are many of them.

As far as being ripped off. Big stores like Basspro and Academy are often over priced and the smaller gun stores will try to sell you what they have in stock.

I know it will ruin the surprise but your husband really needs to be the one to pick it out or do as greg mentioned and see about a gift certificate. 

BTW, I wish my wife wanted to buy me one :D

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

How 'bout a gift certificate to a local gun store? That way he can pick out what he wants.

Welcome to the forum!

This is the same thing we’d suggest if your husband joined looking for a gun for you.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

yep, get artistic and make an "Any gun for ($Budget.oo) coupon or a This coupon good for $XXX.00 to buy the carry gun of choice. 

Have fun with it because like said above the chances of picking the wrong one is likely and we wouldn't want any hurt feelings on either side.

I prefer either a Glock 43 or a S&W 442 for small gun carry.

Edited by LngRngShtr

Welcome. 

Yep he is lucky to have you thinking of him this way. I agree though, guns are individual. I have bought a few I just don't shoot because I am not good with them or don't like them. 

How about buy him a toy pistol and in the box put the "Exchange for a real one" certificate. 😁 

A gift certificate would lock him into one place and that might not be the best deal on the gun he likes. It pays to shop around when you pick one. Of course I am terribly "frugal" or just plain cheap depending on how you look at it.

• Like 2

A handgun i a very personal choice for many reasons, especially how it fits the hand. One suggestion would be a gift certificate, as mentioned before, to a well stocked gun range like The Nashville Armory. Have him rent different handguns to find what best matches his likes and desires. Best wishes with your choices.

I have to echo the others and say a gift certificate is the way to go.   This also gives him the enjoyment of researching and selecting a personal sidearm.  I compliment you on the effort you are putting into this, lucky man your husband.

In the 33 years we were married, my late wife only bought me one gun. I dearly loved the fact that she tried. But I didn't like it and we both ended up feeling bad about it. 

How about this. The both of you go gun shopping together. Go to a range that rents guns. Make a date of it, try some out and have a good time. You do some shooting too. Then let him pick what he wants. Aside from just a gift, you spend a bit of quality time together. In the end he'll remember and cherish that day with you. Who knows, you might find something you like as well. ;)

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Just to let you know what will be involved in your decision:

Revolver ? (single action or double action). Semiautomatic ? (single action, double/single or double action only) (striker fired or hammer fired). Then you have to decide on the caliber and there are numerous ones (380, 38, 9mm, 40cal., 45) and several more that I didn't list. Next, you have to choose a manufacturer, again there are many of them.

As far as being ripped off. Big stores like Basspro and Academy are often over priced and the smaller gun stores will try to sell you what they have in stock.

I know it will ruin the surprise but your husband really needs to be the one to pick it out or do as greg mentioned and see about a gift certificate. 

BTW, I wish my wife wanted to buy me one :D

I had no idea it entailed so many different things.... Geez now I can say that I have clearly went on my first wild goose chase haha

Thanks y'all certificate here I come!!!!Now just to find the nearest one to McMinnville TN?

I wouldn't buy a certificate at a particular shop.  I'd make one, with the price on it you were willing to pay.  That way he can find the best deal on what he ends up selecting!

Love the Date at the range idea!  You might even want to go one step further and make a weekend out of it.  Bud's Gun Shop is in Sevierville and has one of the finest selections (and some of the best prices) in the South.  They also have an indoor range.  And there is also Smoky Mountain Knife Works, next door that also sales firearms.  Why not rent a cabin or a hotel room for the weekend, in the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville area!  Just a thought.  I know one cabin rental place that has half off specials, if you go online Christmas Day and rent from them.

And welcome to the Forum!  :)

• Like 2

The date at the range with a hand-printed certificate is a great idea. Letting him pick out what feels right in his hand is VERY important. I'd also take him to a range that has a good pool of rental handguns so that he can shoot what interests him before buying. I'll give an example of why:

When I took my 5'0" tall wife out to buy her a handgun, and she picked a .22 caliber Taurus revolver. We bought in only to find out on the range that she couldn't pull the trigger very well due to the unusually heavy springs in the revolver. Sorry! No returns!

What several have said....

Give him a custom gift certificate and have a range date at a place with lots of rental guns available. 

Try everything, even guns you don't think you'll like, you might be surprised. It may likely take more than one trip to decide what you like, and that's fine. Range fees are cheap compared to trading guns 4 times until you're happy. 

2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

In the 33 years we were married, my late wife only bought me one gun. I dearly loved the fact that she tried. But I didn't like it and we both ended up feeling bad about it. 

How about this. The both of you go gun shopping together. Go to a range that rents guns. Make a date of it, try some out and have a good time. You do some shooting too. Then let him pick what he wants. Aside from just a gift, you spend a bit of quality time together. In the end he'll remember and cherish that day with you. Who knows, you might find something you like as well. ;)

I like this idea best!!!!!

I'll also agree with an earlier post. Your husband sounds like a lucky guy.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, gregintenn said:

How 'bout a gift certificate to a local gun store? That way he can pick out what he wants.

Welcome to the forum!

Exactly and I'd tell him to go to Guns And Leather in Greenbrier . The owner's son is a member on here. They always treat you right and never do you wrong . Or if you just absolutely want to get him a gun to have under the Christmas tree , you cant go wrong with a Glock 17 or Glock 19 . These guns always work when you pull the trigger and are just dang reliable !

Edited by tercel89

Welcome. You are one special lady. He is a lucky guy.

Ditto on the range date idea, and getting your permits together. My wife and I did. Make that your gift.

Best advice I got about picking out a gun was to go to one of the nicer/larger local gun stores with a range (NOT Academy, Dicks, Bass Pro, etc.), and try every damned one in the case they will let you. Eventually one or some will stand out and you will know which one to buy. Getting the wrong one is an expensive mistake.

- K

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, Grayfox54 said:

I just had another thought. Why don't you take the handgun class with him? More quality time together and you can have protection when you're out alone. ;)

Several ranges offer discounts when two register to take a handgun class.