$119.99 Mosin with pictures!

1 hour ago, luke9511 said:

With the weather being semi cold and this stuff needing to be at room temp or above to work best I am going to have to keep the parts in there for a few days to make sure it gets as much off as possible

Put a lamp pointed up at it from below or put the whole pan in a Styrofoam cooler and put a bulb in with it. That will keep the temperature up 

quick update, the cocking knob still has some rust and so do some of the screws etc i did take out the mag well and it is almost done as well, i scrubbed it with some steel wool and it is heavily pitted but should clean up good and will look semi decent once i blue it, i will try and get some pictures in the morning

21 minutes ago, luke9511 said:

quick update, the cocking knob still has some rust and so do some of the screws etc i did take out the mag well and it is almost done as well, i scrubbed it with some steel wool and it is heavily pitted but should clean up good and will look semi decent once i blue it, i will try and get some pictures in the morning

Great to hear! I have used the heating pads like you put on terrarium before, but it might be because we have a bunch...

I think you have a chance of making this a serviceable weapon again.  Certainly will have lots of character. 

• Like 1

well here is how everything is looking so far, my uncle has a bench grinder that can take a wirewheel and i plan to get one for it and try and smooth out and clean the rest and next up is the barreled action which i am probably going to put into a piece of pvc pipe and fill it up with metal rescue

koPOmhe.jpg

kcNSuKd.jpg

hVfPhdb.jpg

IpiRew3.jpg

TYjJfCG.jpg

wz6czav.jpg

XGMx7xY.jpg

• Like 1

They're kind of expensive, but they make scotchbrite wheels that you can put on a grinder, come in different grades and won't scratch and gouge the metal like a wire brush.  Much easier to polish out the resulting finish.  Just an idea ...

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, luke9511 said:

So I sent an email with pictures to a certain ffl who I used in the past and am waiting on a reply back to see if they can help with the barreled action

Did I miss something? J thought you were trying to clean up the barrel.too?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’m starting to think someone should’ve paid you $119.99 to take this thing. 

I love a good project, but you may wind up with the most expensive Mosin Nagant in history by the time you’re done.  

maybe but i am having fun restoring it :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I’m starting to think someone should’ve paid you $119.99 to take this thing. 

I love a good project, but you may wind up with the most expensive Mosin Nagant in history by the time you’re done.  

One sold at auction last year for $14500, so this one's not likely to hold that distinction anytime soon ...

And the one mentioned above is just the highest-known public price - there are others out there that have gone higher still, in private sales ...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, No_0ne said:

One sold at auction last year for $14500, so this one's not likely to hold that distinction anytime soon ...

And the one mentioned above is just the highest-known public price - there are others out there that have gone higher still, in private sales ...

What does a Mosin have to be to go that high..?

• Like 2

I have shown the pictures you sent me to the Gunsmith and asked him what we can do. He has informed me that to remove all the rust and pitting from your barrel and action then re-blue everything will be a minimum of $300. 

i think it might be cheaper to do it myself

• 2 weeks later...