Keep or sell the .380s?

cybernorris

My primary carry is a Glock G19 (Gen2). I plan to add a G26 for something more compact, but still with decent capacity.

Do I keep the Ruger LCP (with upgraded trigger) and/or the Remington RM380? We all know the LCP fits in a pocket very easily. The RM380 is a bit bigger but also pocket sized. It also seems to get on target and is easier on the hand & wrist. Of course I don’t have to get rid of either.

Anyone got any thoughts or opinions on the subject?

Edited by cybernorris

When a little more discretion is called for, I reach for one of my .380s.  I happen to like them and feel that they are adequate for self defense.  I don't have any experience with either of those, but if you like 'em, keep 'em. 

I also a big believer in never selling a gun you don't have to. ;)

• Like 6

I have a Ruger LCR and it is small and 100% reliable. Plus a 38 Special load is more than adequate for self defense so I will not be selling mine. The .380 pistols, IMO, are nearly the same size and weight as a 9mm (i.e., G42 vs. G43) and the 9mm has more punch. It's a matter of personal choice but I have sold my .380 pistols.

If you like them and shoot them well, keep them. I have an LCP and i like it. The convienence of a pocket pistol is hard to beat. 

I also have a Shield and it's significantly bigger.  Some can pocket carry them, but us normal sized people ;) can't pull that off. Or more accurately, can't pull it out. The Shield will fit in my pocket, but it's really hard to get back out.  I belt carry it. 

• Like 2

I have a variety of carry pistols in both small and large sizes.  While I prefer the duty sized handguns in .45ACP or 9mm, th weight and size has begun to bother me some as I age, lol.  I like my Shield in 9mm IWB, but now that I've got Sig P-365s, I like the increased capacity.  Thats become my IWB daily carry, but I still carry my .380 Bodyguard in my pocket as a backup and also alone when I cant get away with the P-365 IWB.

• Like 1

A brand new LCP is selling for under $200. I've seen them as low as $180 I think. I can't see any purpose in trying to sell a gun that would only bring in maybe $175 used. Keep it, you never know when you might be in a position that requires deep concealment. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

A brand new LCP is selling for under $200. I've seen them as low as $180 I think. I can't see any purpose in trying to sell a gun that would only bring in maybe $175 used. Keep it, you never know when you might be in a position that requires deep concealment. 

This has been the exact reason I have not ditched my LCP.  Sure there may be some 9mm pistols that are "similar" in size, but I have not run across any that are small enough to be considered a replacement for the ultra concealability of the LCP.  

• Like 2
12 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Sell em and get a Glock 43.  Most handguns suck at being manstoppers, but .380s are especially lousy.  Unless you are 5’3/112 lbs, you can hide the 43 just about anywhere you can hide a .380.  

I don't think the .380 is designed to be a "manstopper" . I carry a Ruger LCPII .380 and to me it is my "get the hell away from me" gun. Lord forbid if I ever have to use it but if I did , to me , it is the gun to get the bad guy to stop doing bad stuff and to get off of me so that I can get to a safe place. I don't expect it to me a "manstopper" . I love the Ruger LCP , so easy to throw it in my pocket to go to the autoparts store , or anywhere without using a belt and holster.

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Yeah, the resale value will probably be the reason I don’t sell either .380. But ya never know.

The pocket concealability of the LCP in shorts or just about anything is hard to match... and the RM380 isn’t that much bigger.

18 hours ago, cybernorris said:

My primary carry is a Glock G19 (Gen2). I plan to add a G26 for something more compact, but still with decent capacity.

Do I keep the Ruger LCP (with upgraded trigger) and/or the Remington RM380? We all know the LCP fits in a pocket very easily. The RM380 is a bit bigger but also pocket sized. It also seems to get on target and is easier on the hand & wrist. Of course I don’t have to get rid of either.

Anyone got any thoughts or opinions on the subject?

How has the Remington ran for you ? Reliable or not ?

6 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I don't think the .380 is designed to be a "manstopper" . I carry a Ruger LCPII .380 and to me it is my "get the hell away from me" gun. Lord forbid if I ever have to use it but if I did , to me , it is the gun to get the bad guy to stop doing bad stuff and to get off of me so that I can get to a safe place. I don't expect it to me a "manstopper" . I love the Ruger LCP , so easy to throw it in my pocket to go to the autoparts store , or anywhere without using a belt and holster.

I don’ t understand the difference between a gun used to “get the bad guy off me” and a gun used to neutralize a threat, but these are apparently two different things.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, deerslayer said:

I don’ t understand the difference between a gun used to “get the bad guy off me” and a gun used to neutralize a threat, but these are apparently two different things.  

I figure just keep pulling the trigger. 6 or 7 .380 should do more than get a guy off you. Personally if I have to pull a gun, it has gotten bad enough that someone is probably going in a hole ( me or him).  I am not trying just to scare them away. 

So I agree, the gun you have should be more than a scarecrow. A .380 is more than enough to neutralize a threat if used properly in ordinary conditions. If you feel it is not, carry something bigger. I mean there is always .30-30 revolvers.

2iud8YJ.jpg

17 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I have never understood that either. A 22LR such as my Phoenix can be a get off me gun and it will kill you dead too yet so many folks won't give credit to the 380 Calibers. I think it might be a "Macho Thing" You know, "go ahead and shoot me cause  you only have a 380 and then I will shoot you with my 45 cal  type thing!!!

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2

When KelTec first started manufacturing the .32 and .380 Mo HWY Patrol were issued first the .32 then later the .380. This was about the time Missouri started issuing Concealed Carry permits. I was considering buying one of the first versions of the .380 KT. I asked a Mo State Trooper friend of mine if they had any history with the .380. He said he had worked 3 homocides that were results of people being shot with .380.  2 of them were one shot kills and the third had a magazine dump into him.  If shooter does his part I think the .380 will be plenty. I like the CM 9 Kahr personally but when I can’t carry the Kahr the KT .380 tags along.  

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

The notion is that since the .380 is as powerful and accurate as shooting spitballs into the wind that you have to be close enough to smell the BG's breath before it's worth using.  And then you're better off just asking them nicely to stop, because the bullets might just bounce off and that'll make the BG even more angry. 

As opposed to a .45, in which case the BG spontaneously vaporizes before you clear the holster.  

:)  

• Like 4
16 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Either way , bullets are going to be going into the bad guy or his general direction. Some dope heads can take a lot of wounds and keep trucking but some people may just stop what they are doing when they see , hear or feel the gun shots. If the 380 neutralizes the threat then all the much better , and that's why I said its a "get off me gun" . Of course the .45acp will make them bleed much faster and such but when its 100 degrees outside and I'm wearing shorts , the LCP 380 is gonna be just fine without much bulk and not pull my shorts down nor do I need a thick gunbelt.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well this discussion could go on for ever so I am just going to say, if you are comfortable with what your packing and have done all you can do as far as knowing you can hit what you are shootng at that is what really counts IMO

Yep !