My dog has diabetes...

gregintenn

1 hour ago, dawgdoc said:

I forgot to add, all dogs with arthritis should be on a glucosamine supplement and an omega fatty acid supplement.  The specific brand of glucosamine I would use would be Cosequin or Dasuquin because the manufacturer uses quality control methods equal to a drug manufacturer.  The fish oil-based omega fatty acid supplements have the most research validating their use.  With both supplements, it takes 6 to 8 weeks to see an effect.

If arthritis is severe, then we add a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain medication (many different brands).   With long-term use, the liver and kidneys need to be monitored.

There are several other supplements which each act on a different part of the inflammatory pathway.  There are other pain medications that can be used.  Also, acupuncture can help many dogs.

I give him glucosamine and cat's claw for the hip problems. Of course they haven't gotten better, but I do believe it has slowed if not stopped the progression.

He's still as loving as ever. Tail still wagging, and seems like he doesn't fell too awful bad yet.

He doesn't seem as excited for his evening walk as he used to be, and he gets tired quicker.

My wife has been crying a lot and petting him almost constantly. They are very close. That's the really hard part.

Edited by gregintenn
8 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

You laughed at my post but I'm serious.  It may not help with the diabetes part but it will likely help with the pain.  Its pretty common for people to buy CBD oil for their pet's issues. 

I 2nd this. CBD is being used on a lot of dogs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I 2nd this. CBD is being used on a lot of dogs.

Well I'm an old dog and I use cbd products. For me it enables me to get a full night's sleep for the first time in years. An no you don't get stoned on it. Trust me, if you did I would know. I enjoyed the 70's.

But seriously, I take a 15 mg gummy at night and sleep better than I have in 25 years. They're legal in TN.

https://hempbombs.com/product/hemp-bombs-60-count-cbd-gummies/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Raoul said:

Well I'm an old dog and I use cbd products. For me it enables me to get a full night's sleep for the first time in years. An no you don't get stoned on it. Trust me, if you did I would know. I enjoyed the 70's.

But seriously, I take a 15 mg gummy at night and sleep better than I have in 25 years. They're legal in TN.

Raoul, thanks for the endorsement. Mrs GtG has some issue that CBDs should / could help.

Knowing someone reputable and legit has found relief with the product gives me more confidence to investigate.

I am a FIRM believer in medicinal use and application for all forms or marijuana, science don't lie (much)

Enjoy 9 months of terminal cancer with a loved one and see the therapuetic impact. 

Recreational use (get out your tin foil hats)  is for tax revenues and another way for .gov to dumb down and control the masses...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Raoul said:

When my wife was going through a stressful time at work I bought her a bottle. She said it really helped. I couldn't help but notice I was the only customer in the shop under 60. One woman was so old and frail I had to help her up from the couch. Apparently word is out, CBD does wonders for a lot of people. 

I'm convinced if they legalized weed these same old folks would line up for something stronger. We would probably all be a little nicer to one another too. 

• Like 4
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

When my wife was going through a stressful time at work I bought her a bottle. She said it really helped. I couldn't help but notice I was the only customer in the shop under 60. One woman was so old and frail I had to help her up from the couch. Apparently word is out, CBD does wonders for a lot of people. 

I'm convinced if they legalized weed these same old folks would line up for something stronger. We would probably all be a little nicer to one another too. 

I find folks in Colorado to generally be pretty pleasant. 🤔😆😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

He was acting sort of odd yesterday and stayed out in the rain most of the day. Last night, he came in and laid his head in my wife's lap for a while. Then he went back out and we haven't seen him since. I guess he knew it was time and went off and died. This is one dog we will sorely miss.

• Sad 9
  • Authorized Vendor
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

He was acting sort of odd yesterday and stayed out in the rain most of the day. Last night, he came in and laid his head in my wife's lap for a while. Then he went back out and we haven't seen him since. I guess he knew it was time and went off and died. This is one dog we will sorely miss.

Man that's really tuff. I have no other words except I'm sorry and have been in you shoes and realize it doesn't help.

• Like 1