Veterans parking at local Lowes Store

owejia

Had to pick up a few supplies to install replacement washer and dryer asked for my Veterans discount and cashier said they had installed Veterans only parking next to handicap spaces, first time have ever seen or heard of this. Is this local only or nation wide? 

Edited by owejia

While I'm quite appreciative of Lowe's for how well they walk the talk when it comes to both serving and employing veterans, this one is kind of jumping the shark.  Disabled veterans can get handicap placards easily enough, and those of us with no incapacitating condition can park where a spot is open.  For myself and plenty of other vets who decided not to run 4+miles on the regular once it wasn't a requirement could use the extra few steps. 😀

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, owejia said:

Find it quite refreshing from being called " baby killers" to being given a little respect at Lowes. 

I have the utmost respect for Lowes even though they may not be able to enforce it and they are not being forced by any courts to do this they have stepped up to the plate once again for our Military Veterans. I am disabled and have a license plate that states it on my Jeep but there is times that I opt out of taking a space in case a person in worse shape than I might need the space.

I did get upset one day up at Krogers as I was looking for a parking space and I passed up a handicap  space because not to far behind me was a little older lady with a plaque so I opted to let he have it and before she could get in it a guy coming up from the other way pulled into the space and had to back up twice to get straight in it. I had parked and he was just getting out of his vehicle and I watched him  get his plaque out of his console and just pitch it up on the dash board and not even hang it on the mirror. I entioned to him that it does not count unless it is on your mirror and his reply was what ever and he walked away. I walked to the front of his vehicle to get a look at the Plaque and sure enough it was expired by 2 years. Well being the law abiding person I am I proceeded to dial the non emergency police phone number and requested if they could send a patrol car to the Kroger parking lot and just my luck there was one pulling in off hwy31 and he got the call and I waved him down. I explained exactly what happened and his attitude. The officer ask me to step back away into the lot a little and I did.

He walked up and read the plaque information and went back and sat in his car and ran the tags and plaque information. He than sat and waited for the vehicle owner to arrive and a second squad car showed up and parked near the first one. The guy comes out and just about the time he reaches his vehicle he pushes the alarm and unlock switch.

I hope he didn't buy Ice cream while in the store. You ready for this. They arrested this guy. He had 9 outstanding warrants for traffic tickets, the plaque he was using was reported stolen 2.5 years earlier and the officers found 3 more plaques in his console. All had been reported stolen, the latest one only 1.5 month earlier. He never saw me but I have a pretty good guess he knows how he got caught.

He was not even from around Gallatin. He lived in Waverly Tennessee but they had his vehicle towed. Yea, I know, I'm a trouble maker but he should not have cut that little lady off and took the space and had an attitude. This happened about 3 years ago or better but I was reminded of it from this thread. The officer thanked me for being an upstanding person and reporting the violation. He also said that he wished the would find another way to provide handicap parking permits. He said a sticker that could be displayed on the rear window was being discussed but evidently it didn't go anywhere.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 6

I use the Lowes in Lebanon, haven't noticed a Vets parking  but really haven't paid attention either. I'll check the next time I go. I'm Retired Army + disabled Vet as well. Haven't gotten a placard as yet. There are times it would help, times I really don't need it.  I do get the 10% discount, which helps, especially on large items. Kinda wipes out the sales tax + a little more.

On a fixed income, every little bit helps.

• Like 1

Nothing I would use unless temporarily handicapped like after a hernia surgery.

If I became permanently disabled I'd get the handicapped permit.

Good on Lowes though. The spots remind folks that the life they enjoy is in great part to the people who served and are currently serving.

I was only a 63 november at the end of the Cold War so no combat here but I was ready and in position if needed.

I am thankful to those who went before me and after who did see action.

Sadly many just don't appreciate how important the military is.

7 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I might have cut the guy some slack until his smart remark of WHAT EVER!! after I told him he should have not cut the lady off. That told me right then he was some kind of smartA$$.

You got it right accept the smart part of your statement. 👍