It happened in 1975...

• Authorized Vendor

c201009-top-40-arts-and-culture-snl-second-city.jpg

In 1975, Saturday Night Live (SNL), a topical comedy sketch show featuring Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, Garrett Morris, Jane Curtin and Laraine Newman, makes its debut on NBC; it will go on to become the longest-running, highest-rated show on late-night television. The 90-minute program, which from its inception has been broadcast live from Studio 8H in the GE Building at Rockefeller Center, includes a different guest host and musical act each week. The opening sketch of each show ends with one actor saying, “Live from New York, it’s Saturday Night!”

Created by the Canadian-born comedy writer Lorne Michaels, SNL has introduced a long list of memorable characters and catchphrases—from Gilda Radner’s Roseanne Roseannada, to the Coneheads, to Billy Crystal’s Fernando (“You look mahvelous”), to Dana Carvey’s Church Lady (“Isn’t that special?”), to bodybuilders Hans and Franz (“We’re going to pump you up”), to Coffee Talkhost Linda Richman (“like buttah” and “I’m all verklempt”)—that have become part of pop-culture history. The show, whose cast has changed continually over the years, has also launched the careers of such performers as Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, Jon Lovitz, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Tina Fey. Some SNL sketches have even been turned into feature films, the two most successful examples being 1980’s The Blues Brothers and 1992’s Wayne’s World.

The show was originally known as NBC’s Saturday Night because there was another show on ABC called Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell. However, NBC eventually purchased the naming rights, and since 1977 the edgy comedy program has been called Saturday Night Live. Lorne Michaels served as the show’s producer from 1975 to 1980, followed by Jean Doumanian from 1980 to 1981. Dick Ebersol helmed the show from 1981 to 1985. Michaels returned to the program that year, and has remained executive producer ever since.

• Like 2

Can any one verify an episode of Consumer Probe, Candace Bergen and Irving Mainway, investigating the source of Mainway's source of milk to the NY Public Schools?

The source was rat's milk and Irving went on to describe how they milked them.

Saw it once, never again and now, the dangerous Halloween costume and Christmas present bits seem suppressed with the resurrection of Candace.

8 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

This one?

Ok, different Jane. Another thing I will throw out there is I have watch about 15 minutes of SNL 1 time and never watched it again. I don't have the stomach for that kind of humor if that is what it is called but I think it's a pile of..:poop: and just seeing comercials of it I think it's gotten worse over the years.........JMHO

It was more silly kind of humor back then. Politics crept in but it wasn't the main goal, or at least as a kid I didn't see it that way.

They did a lot of spoofing of commercials.

I also watched SCTV back then and Monty Python on PBS as well as Benny Hill.

Now it's mostly political it seems and only sometimes funny but very lopsided towards the left.

I have had folks tell me that when Belushi died the show took a hit and then a few more died or went on to other things and the show went down hill from there. I had a buddy tell me it's about 80% political now but that may be just his opinion. I just know I gave it about 15 minutes of my time back man many years ago.