Handgun storage in gun safe

I badly need to do some organizing, as I have managed to accumulate way more than I have room for. The long gun situation is a lost cause, but I'd like to hear about what type pistol racks, door mounted as well as shelf units, you have and/or what you'd recommend to get more guns in an allotted space.

I have a door organizer that holds some of the small stuff that was taking more space than it should have.  If you have ammo in there, I suggest pulling it all out and reorganizing it.  I picked up a fair amount of room just changing the way I stack it.

• Like 2

These are the two solutions I used.

Hangs multiple handguns side by side under shelf above long guns
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWHLTYM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Holsters with velcro to fit in where ever I need them, I bought from two different sources, slightly different, booth good. Wife added a couple of stitches to a couple for some smaller guns.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEJ3YMI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My second safe also came with multiple holsters on the door and I may add some more, non velcro types. 

Still running out of space too, so hoping for some additional ideas.

• Like 1

I'd also recommend you remove any bulk ammo and store it somewhere else. I use the silicone gun socks for long guns and cheap pocket holsters for the handguns.  My cabinet is at about double it's rated capacity. 

Edited by peejman
Stupid phone...

I find that I am resorting to looking at the garage rafters as storage...

I am using gun socks for handguns that I don't have boxes for. I am weird that t I want to keep all my boxed ones in boxes. 

I have some rifle socks, but have not emptied things out to get them all put on. 

I see a second safe or cabinet in my future if I can slip it in while no one is looking. Lol

• Moderators
6 hours ago, peejman said:

I'd also recommend you remove any bulk ammo and store it somewhere else. I use the silicone gun socks for long guns and cheap pocket holsters for the handguns.  My cabinet is at about double it's rated capacity. 

Only double the capacity? They will hold more than that. Lol. :crazy:

• Haha 1

This is what I bought and then I found out that I really didn't care for either system.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CSOQHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The hangers work okay but if you have a heavier pistol, I don't trust them long term.  They tend to flex a little more than I like.   

The racks are great and I like them okay, but they require the shelf to be moved down farther that I care to do.   So I ended up not using them either.  My safe just isn't laid out for that system.  I ended up buying the Liberty accessory door panel and it is enough storage for now. I can fit about three more pistols before I'll have to figure something else out.  

At some point, I'd either like to rebuild the interior of the safe or just relegate this one to the longest guns and get a second safe for the shorter rifles and pistols.  

39 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

This is what I bought and then I found out that I really didn't care for either system.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CSOQHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The hangers work okay but if you have a heavier pistol, I don't trust them long term.  They tend to flex a little more than I like.   

The racks are great and I like them okay, but they require the shelf to be moved down farther that I care to do.   So I ended up not using them either.  My safe just isn't laid out for that system.  I ended up buying the Liberty accessory door panel and it is enough storage for now. I can fit about three more pistols before I'll have to figure something else out.  

At some point, I'd either like to rebuild the interior of the safe or just relegate this one to the longest guns and get a second safe for the shorter rifles and pistols.  

I had the same problem. One bent holding my 1911. 

My solution, I quit buying guns. :(