Handgun storage in gun safe

9 hours ago, Erik88 said:

My solution, I quit buying guns. :(

I don't buy guns, I trade for them...or at least that's the story I tell my wife.  You know I trade work for guns...sometimes I carry green stuff between person I work for and where the gun is...

Buying another or bigger safe is the answer. Doing both is the best solution...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is what I have been using...

https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Storage-Solutions-Handgun-Hanger-2/dp/B0056GSCBM/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?tag=accuratescom-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B0056GSCBM

As others have said though they do flex a bit more than I would like, but they do work for now I just try to put the heavier pistols on the top of the shelf so if they do bend my pistol wont end up at the bottom of my safe.

I would also agree the best solution is probably another safe, lol, that;s what I am planning on especially since my wife has started to invade the safe to store her items in.

If another safe isn't an option and if you don't find something you like that is currently on the market then perhaps find a good wood worker and see if you can have some racks made that will hold what you need for the space you have available maybe something like a pull out rack that uses the whole depth and width of the shelves, or something along those lines.

Just my thoughts they may or may not be good so take it for what its worth, lol

• Like 1

I have both the wire hangers listed above, the single under the shelf and the one that holds one above and one below.  I prefer the single as it seems heavier and leaves the shelf space for the extra mags and stuff.

51DPeehosaL.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/25/2019 at 11:40 AM, Omega said:

I have both the wire hangers listed above, the single under the shelf and the one that holds one above and one below.  I prefer the single as it seems heavier and leaves the shelf space for the extra mags and stuff.

51DPeehosaL.jpg

A dozen of these^

On 1/16/2019 at 6:56 AM, SonnyCrockett said:

I had the metal racks,they took up too much space and I swapped them all out for these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V72R4R2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61sKDxRzWiL._SL1500_.jpg

and 4 of these^ helped quite a bit. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. What I really need is a 3rd safe, or to rent a few tables at a gun show.

I can highly recommend both of these products.

Edited by gregintenn
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

What I really need is a 3rd safe, or to rent a few tables at a gun show.

There is another way to go, let me keep them for you. Be sure to have ammo as well, you know how firearms like to be used.

Rent will be low.

• Like 1

Hobbies become a problem. 🙄🤔😪

I only have about an 18 inch wide and 18 inch deep gun cabinet (not a safe). So, t is getting full even though I only have a shotgun (one extra 30 inch barrel), a 22 Rifle, 4 Pistols, and AMMO. Good deals on AMMO on large quantities has become a problem for storage (stacked as good as I can).

PS: One other Pistol (Spectrum) will fit but is stored at TAURUS for up to 3 months (after one month it is still in Received Status). GROAN

PSS: Maybe rotate guns back to MFG for temporary story? LOL

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

I only have about an 18 inch wide and 18 inch deep gun cabinet (not a safe). So, t is getting full even though I only have a shotgun (one extra 30 inch barrel), a 22 Rifle, 4 Pistols, and AMMO. Good deals on AMMO on large quantities has become a problem for storage (stacked as good as I can).

PS: One other Pistol (Spectrum) will fit but is stored at TAURUS for up to 3 months (after one month it is still in Received Status). GROAN

General school of thought is to not store ammo in with the guns.   I've never heard a good reason but I like it.   So just move the ammo somewhere else, kitchen pantry perhaps, and have extra room for guns. 

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

General school of thought is to not store ammo in with the guns.   I've never heard a good reason but I like it.   So just move the ammo somewhere else, kitchen pantry perhaps, and have extra room for guns. 

You are obviously not a crazy man like some of us. My ammo won't fit in the safe, even if I remove the guns.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

I have a similar cabinet and the only ammo in there is a few loaded rifle mags.  The ammo is in boxes or cans in the floor next to the cabinet. 

3 hours ago, mikegideon said:

You are obviously not a crazy man like some of us. My ammo won't fit in the safe, even if I remove the guns.

LOL! Part of my ammo fills a refrigerator sized cabinet built of 1" plywood. What doesn't fit in there is stacked on a shelf underneath my workbench. I may have a problem.

• Like 2

I added one of the HYSKORE 6 Gun Modular Pistol Rack, talked about earlier, to the top of my one safes this week just to add some order and it helped, wish it was stiffer.

I keep a few hundred rounds of ammo for each caliber that is stored in each safe as well as loaded magazines. The rest of the ammo is stored in large ammo cans and other assorted containers. Before we moved I had an old upright freezer, that we didn't use, that I used for ammo storage and that worked well, but I couldn't justify moving it just to store ammo.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:09 AM, Capbyrd said:

I do keep several loaded mags near specific weapons in my safe.

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, gregintenn said:

LOL! Part of my ammo fills a refrigerator sized cabinet built of 1" plywood. What doesn't fit in there is stacked on a shelf underneath my workbench. I may have a problem.

Yes, you do have a problem...not enough ammo!

As I've mentioned before, I gutted an old StackOn safe that was in water in 2010. I found some scraps of 2x10 and 2x12 and made shelves with them. It works...so far. 

Edited by hipower
3 hours ago, hipower said:

I do keep several loaded mags near specific weapons in my safe.

I have no kids around my house. The self defense guns are out and loaded. I know most folks can't do that.

I don't unload handguns to put them in the safe either, so most have ammo in them. Just no detatched mags or ammo boxes.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

I also keep most all my guns loaded in the safe accept some shotguns that only get used for clay shooting. Even most of the .22s are loaded. Actually other than some wall hangers the ones not in the safe are loaded also. My kids 44 and I don't hide my guns when he visits, he has as many as I do.