Working the Ammo Deals

Today I stopped by Walmart in need of 30-06 as I don’t want to break into my stash of HXP M2 ball held in reserve to feed the Garand.  

They have Federal Power-Shock 150 gr SP for $11.97/box.  Cheapest they sell so that’s what I wanted.  Looked it up later to see what I bought and it appears Federal is running a $5 per box rebate.  Score.  It might take three months to get that $10 back but when it’s all said and done that’s a mighty fine price for ammo.

I’m cheap like that.  :)

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
On 11/11/2018 at 6:13 PM, Quavodus said:

Do you have any idea what powder Federal uses in they're .30-06?

48 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

smokeless...

Manufacturers don’t really divulge that kind of information nor would it make any difference.  My understanding is they use stuff and blends of stuff not generally available off the shelf. 

The Power-Shok does appear to be very clean and accurate though.  I blew 40 rounds through a 100 year old M1917 last weekend and holes were touching each other at 100 yards. Just ran a patch through the barrel with not a whole lot of residue.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

The reason I asked was M1 Garands dont need to be shot with slow burning powders. 4895, 4064, and similar burning powders are best.

This ammo is rated at 2910 fps at the muzzle.  Too hot for a Garand without an adjustable gas plug.

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Good Lord, the .22LR is 2.5 cents a round in hand. Never thought we'd see that again!

- OS

The glut in 22lr is probably as great as its ever been.  Now is the time to stock up on those bricks in anticipation of the next time people panic and start paying $75/brick again ...

11 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

That 9mm has got to be close to cost.

$.14/round for brand name brass?

I just paid a ridiculous $.18/round at WM

If we didn't cast and PC bullets that $.14/rd is about the cost of quality handloads. That's a great price and the work is done for you LOL.

This is definitely a time to "buy it cheap and stack it deep" as the saying goes. Tempting...

I suppose we can thank the switch over the last couple years from 40 to 9mm for the market glut. Amazing 9mm is hitting some lows. 45 seems to have bottomed and gone back up, even 223/556 seems to have crept back up.  They must know I bought a new FNX45! 

I got my hpx in some decent quantity when CMP was running low. Folk thought I was crazy for lugging boxes of it from CA. Good thing. Dont have any -06 rifles else hard to pass on this rebate offer.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, Oh Shoot said:

Good Lord, the .22LR is 2.5 cents a round in hand. Never thought we'd see that again!

- OS

I just got 5 boxes of the .22 at Academy Sports in Knoxville for $49.99 each. Price on the pallet says $69.99 but it rings up $49.99. After rebate $29.95. That's what I was giving for it 45 years ago.

19 minutes ago, Eray said:

I just got 5 boxes of the .22 at Academy Sports in Knoxville for $49.99 each. Price on the pallet says $69.99 but it rings up $49.99. After rebate $29.95. That's what I was giving for it 45 years ago.

How fast did you get over there after reading the Sunday paper?  😀

48 minutes ago, Eray said:

I got some today also. One box of .22 and three boxes of .380.  The .380 was 79.99 for 350 rounds (after tax and with the rebate it comes out to $.19 a round). Their sale started today and runs through the 24th. 

In case someone needs it, this is a link to the rebate form:

https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/EN/US/Home/Brand/68

Edited by xsubsailor
  • Like 1
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

I never thought I'd see those prices again.  Those who cleaned the shelves at Walmart hoping to make a profit might have a long wait.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I got you all beat. . . Back before Black Friday when Academy was selling 22LR Federal that worked out to around 2.5c/rd after rebate, I ordered 4 cases from their site. I only got 4 because I was able to get 1 case of .45ACP in store and the rebate was only good for 5 cases. . .

Imagine my surprise when two FedEx boxes were delivered with 4 cases of 22LR in each box. Packing slips show two shipment #s on the same order #. I double-checked PayPal, only charged once. Now I'm an honest guy so I called Academy. The CSR couldn't figure out what happened and didn't show a double shipment. He said hang on a minute, then about 5 minutes later came back and said "Christmas came early. Enjoy."

WOOHOO!

• Like 2