WSJ: Democrats Plan to Pursue Most Aggressive Gun-Control Legislation in Decades

• Administrator

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-plan-to-pursue-most-aggressive-gun-control-legislation-in-decades-1541791440?mod=e2fb&fbclid=IwAR1KvZ3ELUIlyGgj-tfOEyMgdceU4a56z4pjyAf75VNgln_GqfqQt2yMskA

By Reid J. Epstein
Updated Nov. 9, 2018 3:02 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—Democrats say they will pass the most aggressive gun-control legislation in decades when they become the House majority in January, plans they renewed this week in the aftermath of a mass killing in a California bar.

Their efforts will be spurred by an incoming class of pro-gun-control lawmakers who scored big in Tuesday’s midterm elections, although any measure would likely meet stiff resistance in the GOP-controlled Senate.

Democrats ousted at least 15 House Republicans with “A” National Rifle Association ratings, while the candidates elected to replace them all scored an “F” NRA rating.

“This new majority is not going to be afraid of our shadow,” said Mike Thompson, a California Democrat who is chairman of the House Gun Violence Prevention Task Force. “We know that we’ve been elected to do a job, and we’re going to do it.”

Hit the link at the top of this post to read the rest of the article.

A threat of dark days ahead looms over us, it seems.

12 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

DJT is destroying the GOP. Many of those abandoning the party will not return to it after he's gone for some time if ever.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dem Triumvirate for the next decade or more starting in '20.

- OS

Interesting observation. Unless the Democrats have more than hate Trump and gun control to run on, don't  believe they will prevail.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

DJT is destroying the GOP. Many of those abandoning the party will not return 

If memory serves, you said the same (or similar) thing while DJT was running for office and that Hillary would defeat him because of it....

Yet here we are.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, BrasilNuts said:

If memory serves, you said the same (or similar) thing while DJT was running for office and that Hillary would defeat him because of it....

Yet here we are.

I'll give you that. He won on filling an inside straight in WS, MI, and PA, caught the Dems sleeping because of distaste for Hillary and desperate desire for the end of business as usual.

- OS

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

DJT is destroying the GOP. Many of those abandoning the party will not return to it after he's gone for some time if ever.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dem Triumvirate for the next decade or more starting in '20.

- OS

Meh.  I'll offer two possibilities:

1.)  Maybe he is?  GOOD.  The GOP is rotten and needs to be destroyed and rebuilt or replaced with something truly conservative.

2.) Maybe he isn't?  Maybe you're just disenfranchised or are speaking with Republicans who are?  The Republican voters that I know love what he's doing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

1.)  Maybe he is?  GOOD.  The GOP is rotten and needs to be destroyed and rebuilt or replaced with something truly conservative.

As I predicted, the Tea Party movement tried to do that, but mainly got adsorbed and diluted. The Freedom Caucus is so far its only remaining successor. Which DJT sees as just another obstructionist entity to him.

I truly believe most Americans are still overall moderates. Perhaps passionate on certain issues, but in general disenfranchised by the polarization of the two parties that now exist, and I think Trump will chase more away than he attracts, leaving the GOP crippled, especially if the Democratic Party will come back more toward center as it used to be (so was the GOP, btw).

The fact that the House just flipped more seats than anytime since Watergate should be a clue. Somehow DJT saw that as "close to a complete victory". Right.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
38 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Nothing but talk. We still control the Senate and even if something does pass, Trump won't sign it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he signed some (relatively minor to some, not me), legislation if it passed the Senate.

Something like ammunition restrictions or mag capacity. Maybe a more intense scrutiny laden background check system for people buying semi-auto. A mental health evaluation prior to purchase?

We don't control the Senate, It's the Republicans. Although they have a strong 2ndA edge over the Dems.....They are still Politicians.

All the Republican Senators I have heard speaking on the subject talk about a Balance between Safety and 2ndA rights.

That means they are open to some sort of new restrictions. You gotta wonder what's left?

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

As I predicted, the Tea Party movement tried to do that, but mainly got adsorbed and diluted. The Freedom Caucus is so far its only remaining successor. Which DJT sees as just another obstructionist entity to him.

I truly believe most Americans are still overall moderates. Perhaps passionate on certain issues, but in general disenfranchised by the polarization of the two parties that now exist, and I think Trump will chase more away than he attracts, leaving the GOP crippled, especially if the Democratic Party will come back more toward center as it used to be (so was the GOP, btw).

The fact that the House just flipped more seats than anytime since Watergate should be a clue. Somehow DJT said it was "close to a complete victory". Right.

- OS

Only problem with that equation is that the Dems are continuing to push hard left. Both parties are doing their best to abandon any and all reasonable people in the center. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

With the outcome of the last election I am wondering if our votes are really being counted. There were a lot of elections being called very early in the night? Last Tuesday people where still lined up a mile from getting their vote in and their election was already called for some of who tey were planning on voting for.. That would tell me they didn;t need my vote so why bother????

I think they should wait till all the returns are in an counted or at least 90% of the districts counted before calling one. Hell they are still counting votes in Florida and the election was 4 days ago. I know this happened back in the Gore election in 2000 and the Supreme Court Stepped in and ended that one in December. You would have thought by now Florida would have come up with a better system of counting or voting by now.

Edited by bersaguy

Clinton lost 54 house seats in 94, Obama lost 63 in 2010.  last count Trump lost 31, but don't let facts stop you.

Now if you would have said the most a Republican lost since Watergate, then that would have been a true statement, but the spin just isn't there.  This is the same thing that the media does, putting out half truths to see what sticks.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, owejia said:

Democrats lost 63 seats in the House in 2010, largest since 1948, largest for any midterm since 1938.

I didn't put it clearly enough -- Dems gained more seats in House than they have since Watergate ('74 election).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

I didn't put it clearly enough -- Dems gained more seats in House than they have since Watergate ('74 election).

- OS

Maybe l'm not catching on...how does losing 31 by Repubs, greater than 63 by dems?

30 minutes ago, Omega said:

Or are you saying that there are more dems in the house?

I'm simply saying the Dems flipped more seats in the House than they have in 44 years.

29 minutes ago, Omega said:

Either way, how are you laying this on Trump? 

I think this election was to a significant extent a referendum on Trump, yes.

- OS

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Only problem with that equation is that the Dems are continuing to push hard left. Both parties are doing their best to abandon any and all reasonable people in the center. 

My wife said it best the other day, when she and I were discussing this:

The Left has abandoned anything near-centrist.  They have stopped trying to hide the evil methods bu which they have been trying to sneak evil agendas into fruition over the past six-decades (give or take) and are now just putting it all out in the open.  They can finally do that because society's morals and ethics are no longer moral or ethical and are now based entirely on self-gain, self-promotion, and all other manner of self-centric ideals and objectives.

The greater good is no longer esteemed.

• Like 8
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, TGO David said:

My wife said it best the other day, when she and I were discussing this:

The Left has abandoned anything near-centrist.  They have stopped trying to hide the evil methods bu which they have been trying to sneak evil agendas into fruition over the past six-decades (give or take) and are now just putting it all out in the open.  They can finally do that because society's morals and ethics are no longer moral or ethical and are now based entirely on self-gain, self-promotion, and all other manner of self-centric ideals and objectives.

The greater good is no longer esteemed.

I would agree completely with this assessment. The only thing that I would add is that with the election of Donald Trump, the GOP has done the same thing with only a different face on it.  Both parties have become about one thing and one thing only, raw naked power. 

• Like 1

Well I guess I just learned something new. I have always thought all politicians were after was power. That has always seemed that way to me. They are all millionaires+ several times over so money would not be driving them as much as power. Least wise that is what I always thought!

20 hours ago, TGO David said:

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-plan-to-pursue-most-aggressive-gun-control-legislation-in-decades-1541791440?mod=e2fb&fbclid=IwAR1KvZ3ELUIlyGgj-tfOEyMgdceU4a56z4pjyAf75VNgln_GqfqQt2yMskA

By Reid J. Epstein
Updated Nov. 9, 2018 3:02 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—Democrats say they will pass the most aggressive gun-control legislation in decades when they become the House majority in January, plans they renewed this week in the aftermath of a mass killing in a California bar.

Their efforts will be spurred by an incoming class of pro-gun-control lawmakers who scored big in Tuesday’s midterm elections, although any measure would likely meet stiff resistance in the GOP-controlled Senate.

Democrats ousted at least 15 House Republicans with “A” National Rifle Association ratings, while the candidates elected to replace them all scored an “F” NRA rating.

“This new majority is not going to be afraid of our shadow,” said Mike Thompson, a California Democrat who is chairman of the House Gun Violence Prevention Task Force. “We know that we’ve been elected to do a job, and we’re going to do it.”

Hit the link at the top of this post to read the rest of the article.

A threat of dark days ahead looms over us, it seems.

This will have about as much effect as all that noise that the Republicans made about repealing the ACA after they took control of Congress a few years ago.  I have no doubt that the House will conduct a bunch of symbolic votes on the subject, knowing all along that they are destined to fail in the Senate ...

4 hours ago, cajunpredfan said:

Clinton lost 54 house seats in 94, Obama lost 63 in 2010.  last count Trump lost 31, but don't let facts stop you.

Now if you would have said the most a Republican lost since Watergate, then that would have been a true statement, but the spin just isn't there.  This is the same thing that the media does, putting out half truths to see what sticks.

Right. This is exactly what is meant by "Fake News."  Now most of the country is under  the impression that this was a huuuuuuge historic loss of midterm seats, when it was one of the least in many many decades.

• Like 1