WSJ: Democrats Plan to Pursue Most Aggressive Gun-Control Legislation in Decades

12 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

This will have about as much effect as all that noise that the Republicans made about repealing the ACA after they took control of Congress a few years ago.  I have no doubt that the House will conduct a bunch of symbolic votes on the subject, knowing all along that they are destined to fail in the Senate ...

The only reason that failed was because of that ####head McCain, not because of the lack of trying.  But now it's a tougher road, and doubt they get that chance again.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Omega said:

The only reason that failed was because of that ####head McCain, not because of the lack of trying.  But now it's a tougher road, and doubt they get that chance again.

Yea, That McCain Vote broke my heart but for some reason and I don't know what it is but I had a gut feeling knowing they needed just 1 last vote to make it work I knew when he walked out on the Senate Floor he would make history that morning with a no vote. He was dying and knew he was dying and evidently he had a secret beef with the American people and this was his chance to get even and he did.

52 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Right. This is exactly what is meant by "Fake News."  Now most of the country is under  the impression that this was a huuuuuuge historic loss of midterm seats, when it was one of the least in many many decades.

Inaccurate. Again, it was the most seats the Dems have gained in the House in 44 years. And of course took over the House in doing it. Quite significant, and quite far from "fake news".

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
3 hours ago, TGO David said:

My wife said it best the other day, when she and I were discussing this:

The Left has abandoned anything near-centrist.  They have stopped trying to hide the evil methods bu which they have been trying to sneak evil agendas into fruition over the past six-decades (give or take) and are now just putting it all out in the open.  They can finally do that because society's morals and ethics are no longer moral or ethical and are now based entirely on self-gain, self-promotion, and all other manner of self-centric ideals and objectives.

The greater good is no longer esteemed.

Your wife is spot on. But I would ask, do you honestly think anything about Trump is ethical? 

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Inaccurate. Again, it was the most seats the Dems have gained in the House in 44 years. And of course took over the House in doing it. Quite significant, and quite far from "fake news".

- OS

Ok, play games.  Cajonpredfan and I were talking about general historic results by both parties.  By that standard this is no big deal, at all.  If you want to fine tune our statements to just Dem gains (which we were not talking about)......fine.  Celebrate.

2 hours ago, Omega said:

I was referring more to the what, 75? votes that the house made during the Obama years, knowing it was all a waste of time.  This noise about "gun reform", or whatever the current term is will be pretty much the same ..

.don-quixote.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

I truly believe most Americans are still overall moderates. Perhaps passionate on certain issues, but in general disenfranchised by the polarization of the two parties that now exist

I agree. Most of the people I talk to are very moderate. Even my democratic friends are not anti gun, contrary to what this forum says about the left. Even the ones that seemed to favor gun control quickly changed their mind once I explained some things to them. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

I was referring more to the what, 75? votes that the house made during the Obama years, knowing it was all a waste of time.  This noise about "gun reform", or whatever the current term is will be pretty much the same ..

.don-quixote.jpg

Extra credit for the Don Quixote analogy!  ;)

- OS

• Like 2
On 11/11/2018 at 11:52 AM, Omega said:

Thing is we must stay vigilant, because they never rest, and neither should we.

As an example, while everyone was focused on the elections, the Dems. introduced  H.R. 7115.  I highly doubt if it will go anywhere but they are going to keep trying.

Worth reading the bill.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/7115/text?r=1

5 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

As an example, while everyone was focused on the elections, the Dems. introduced  H.R. 7115.  I highly doubt if it will go anywhere but they are going to keep trying.

Worth reading the bill.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/7115/text?r=1

Yup, and so it begins.  They will not rest until they have infringed the hell out of the 2nd.

17 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

As an example, while everyone was focused on the elections, the Dems. introduced  H.R. 7115.  I highly doubt if it will go anywhere but they are going to keep trying.  Worth reading the bill.

Here’s the short version:

Would outlaw 80% or unfinished lowers that do not meet the definition of a firearm.

Would outlaw the sale of “Parts kits”

Would require that homemade firearms have serial numbers or an identifying mark. That a dealer be required to do that with a fee. That the weapon be transferred at the time it is done, with a fee. (Background check)

Bans Possession or transfer of a firearm without a serial number made after 1968. (in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce)

Requires that if the firearm is made from polymer plastic, 3.7 ounces of material type 17–4 PH stainless steel, on which the unique serial number or identifying mark is stamped or otherwise permanently affixed, are embedded within the plastic.

Establishes a traceable database of homemade firearms.

I may have missed some. But you get the idea.

This bill has zero chance of becoming law. It is simply to let the gun grabbers say they are trying to do whatever they can.

On 11/11/2018 at 4:55 AM, DaveTN said:

Well then, if you can change the minds of gun grabbers you need to run for office don't you?

No. Because we can all change minds one at a time.  Its easy to have a reasonable conversation with a person one on one.  When you speak to a group, herd mentality takes over and you are demonized rather than respected.  

7 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

This bill has zero chance of becoming law. It is simply to let the gun grabbers say they are trying to do whatever they can.

And then to demonize the right in the media after it gets shut down.  "We tried and they care more about keeping their guns than dead babies."

15 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

And then to demonize the right in the media after it gets shut down.  "We tried and they care more about keeping their guns than dead babies."

I don’t care if they demonize me or not. The only thing that can stop an active shooter is another active shooter. The body count is generally directly related to how long it took for the good guy with a gun to arrive on the scene. Outlawing guns will not stop criminals from getting them anymore than drug laws keep crackheads from getting crack. When you are mentally deficient and prepared to die; laws no longer matter.

Those are facts; they can dispute them all they want but folks that have common sense understand that.

32 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t care if they demonize me or not. The only thing that can stop an active shooter is another active shooter. The body count is generally directly related to how long it took for the good guy with a gun to arrive on the scene. Outlawing guns will not stop criminals from getting them anymore than drug laws keep crackheads from getting crack. When you are mentally deficient and prepared to die; laws no longer matter.

Those are facts; they can dispute them all they want but folks that have common sense understand that.

You think very highly of the general public.  I fear that you are wrong. 

On 11/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, Erik88 said:

I agree. Most of the people I talk to are very moderate. Even my democratic friends are not anti gun, contrary to what this forum says about the left. Even the ones that seemed to favor gun control quickly changed their mind once I explained some things to them. 

A lot of my Democrat friends aren't anti gun. Hell, my brother is a Democrat and has a carry permit, an AR, and several other guns. The problem with Democrats is their trust in Democrat politicians. You won't meet many Democrat politicians that won't support "sensible" 2A infringements, like "universal" background checks. Republican politicians can't get away with that, because their base won't allow it (for now).

21 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

You think very highly of the general public.  I fear that you are wrong. 

Well then, in a democracy we are in trouble aren’t we? :)

I’m not saying you are wrong, but once the snowflakes and those that feel they need the government to support them, outnumber those who work for a living; we are hosed. Then it’s just a race to collapse.

I thought we were headed that way prior to the last Presidential election. But along came Trump. I don’t feel as good about this midterm as some conservatives. I thought a much clearer signal was going to be sent; I was wrong.

8 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Well then, in a democracy we are in trouble aren’t we? :)

I’m not saying you are wrong, but once the snowflakes and those that feel they need the government to support them, outnumber those who work for a living; we are hosed. Then it’s just a race to collapse.

I thought we were headed that way prior to the last Presidential election. But along came Trump. I don’t feel as good about this midterm as some conservatives. I thought a much clearer signal was going to be sent; I was wrong.

We've been in trouble for a long time.   It's a slow decline.  Hopefully I don't live long enough to see the end.