Officer mistakes security guard for gunman, kills him

Wow, that’s terrible.

No details, so I’m just guessing here, but if he didn’t know for sure if the guy he was holding was armed or not; he couldn’t secure his weapon when cops arrived. It will come down to what the interaction was between the Officer and the victim.

Guessing, based on the limited information given, and the fact the cop is in Cook County; I suspect there is a high probability the Officer will be charged.

With attorneys suing businesses for not being able to stop an active shooter; more and more businesses will be hiring armed security. Making them not obvious to patrons or shooters, but identifiable to responding officers in an active shooter situation is going to require some planning/training or technology.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Parrothead said:

This could have just as easily been a armed citizen holding the shooter in place.

if this possibility hasn’t been on your radar, you might want to give it some thought. I imagine things happen VERY quickly........

Absolutely, everyone should have a plan of what they are going to do when the cops arrive, or to keep from getting shot by another armed citizen. Part of that plan should be realizing that you will be in the highest adrenaline rush you probably have ever experienced. That can cause tunnel vision that makes you unaware of what’s going on around you. If you are aware that can happen you have a better chance of overcoming it. Cops or armed citizens don’t always arrive with lights flashing and sirens blaring; sometimes they are at the scene and just appear pointing a gun at you.

• Like 2

I'm honestly surprised this kind of scenario isn't more common.  When adrenaline is running that high, it can lead to some tragic events.  Between the good guy we lost, and the LEO who has to live with this for the rest of his life, it's a bad day all around.

• Like 1

I saw a news story on this last night.  The cops apparently gave several orders for the Security guard to drop the weapon.  He did not.  Now maybe he feared if dropping the weapon would actually endanger his life from the guy on the ground, I don't know.  But I know this. If you are armed and holding someone at gunpoint, you better have a plan to lay that gun down when the cops show up or you could easily suffer the fate of this gentleman.  

There were witnesses who felt the cops reactions were way too severe and premature.  I hate to put blame on the officer without knowing more details but to me, it seems that's where it belongs right now.  

4 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I saw a news story on this last night.  The cops apparently gave several orders for the Security guard to drop the weapon.  He did not.  Now maybe he feared if dropping the weapon would actually endanger his life from the guy on the ground, I don't know.  But I know this. If you are armed and holding someone at gunpoint, you better have a plan to lay that gun down when the cops show up or you could easily suffer the fate of this gentleman.  

There were witnesses who felt the cops reactions were way too severe and premature.  I hate to put blame on the officer without knowing more details but to me, it seems that's where it belongs right now.  

Multiple witnesses have also directly challenged the official account. They claim that several officers were already on scene when another officer burst in and shot the security guard. Even other officers were shocked and were yelling that he was one of the good guys. 

I'd like to see the body cams before passing judgment. We're all guessing at this point. I do agree that we've always been taught to secure the gun before officers arrive. With this being an active scene, I can understand why the guard was hesitant to holster his gun. Just a sad situation all around.