Most effective 30-30 ammo for deer?

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

All of them.

I've always had great results with 150gr Remington Core-Lokt and Federal Power Shok.

3 hours ago, KahrMan said:

It is hard to beat 150 grain Remington Core-lokt for price and performance.

Good to know. That’s what I’ve been using. I’m waiting on a new front sight now that will hopefully be here before Saturday.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Looks like I might stock up a little.  $4.97/box is hard to beat.

3 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

No kidding! Id buy at least 10 boxes for that price. Maybe more. Probably a limit on the rebate though. 

10 boxes is the limit.  I was eyeing that 30-30 the other day while stocking up on 30-06.

https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/EN/US/Promo/66/67/EntryForm

Edited by Garufa
6 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I have heard good things about LEVERevolution from Hornaday. Never used it though.

LEVERevolution ammo is designed to have a polymer point to enhance the aerodynamics of otherwise flat-nosed 30-30 ammo beyond 150 yards.  OP said 50 yards would be the max shots taken.  So unless there are some other great features I think LEVERevolution would not be cost efficient.

• Admin Team
36 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

LEVERevolution ammo is designed to have a polymer point to enhance the aerodynamics of otherwise flat-nosed 30-30 ammo beyond 150 yards.  OP said 50 yards would be the max shots taken.  So unless there are some other great features I think LEVERevolution would not be cost efficient.

I thought LEVERevolution ammo was designed with the polymer tip so you’d feel better about stuffing it in a tubular magazine?

That’s what I’ve always used it for anyway. 

41 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

I thought LEVERevolution ammo was designed with the polymer tip so you’d feel better about stuffing it in a tubular magazine?

That’s what I’ve always used it for anyway. 

You are both correct.  The pointed tip was to help aerodynamics and the polymer tip was added so the could be used safely in lever guns.  Pointed fmj have been know to set off other rounds in the tube when the tip of one hit the primer on another.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in 82-96 when I was a stocking dealer, I used to carry Rem 170 CL (cheapest) and Win 150g HP in 30-30 and if you want to reload the brass don't buy Remington anything. They have the absolutely worst brass in the industry. I preferred Win or Fed for that but I have to say, every one that tried the Win 150 HP's came back for them year after year and swore by them. The hydraulic shock inside the boiler room from those HP bullets was reportedly pretty impressive.  Time & time again my customers said that HP dropped the deer in his tracks every time.  I still have a few boxes of them in my own stash!  

• Admin Team
28 minutes ago, xtriggerman said:

Back in 82-96 when I was a stocking dealer, I used to carry Rem 170 CL (cheapest) and Win 150g HP in 30-30 and if you want to reload the brass don't buy Remington anything. They have the absolutely worst brass in the industry. I preferred Win or Fed for that but I have to say, every one that tried the Win 150 HP's came back for them year after year and swore by them. The hydraulic shock inside the boiler room from those HP bullets was reportedly pretty impressive.  Time & time again my customers said that HP dropped the deer in his tracks every time.  I still have a few boxes of them in my own stash!  

I’ve hit a hog or two with those with good results.  

On 11/14/2018 at 9:25 AM, Ronald_55 said:

I have heard good things about LEVERevolution from Hornaday. Never used it though.

I have used this ammo in my 336 and in a .44 Mag revolver with poor results in both.  

30-30- at 25 yards my grouping was approximately 12" with shots all over the place.  Picked up a box of 150 gn Core Lokts and the bullet holes touch each other on the bullseye. 

44- hitting about 18" low at 15 yards.  Switched to another round and it was fine.

I'm done with LeverRevolution

22 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I have used this ammo in my 336 and in a .44 Mag revolver with poor results in both.  

30-30- at 25 yards my grouping was approximately 12" with shots all over the place.  Picked up a box of 150 gn Core Lokts and the bullet holes touch each other on the bullseye. 

44- hitting about 18" low at 15 yards.  Switched to another round and it was fine.

Hmm that is odd. I ran a box of them through a single shot 45-70 once but didn’t really see that they were worth the price at the time. 

I got a nice buck on camera so hopefully I’ll be able to try out the core-lokt on him this evening. 

On 12/8/2018 at 8:57 AM, 10-Ring said:

That is all I use in my Marlin 1895 in 45-70. It cycles great and is very accurate. 

My 45-70 is the only gun I use LeverRevolution in, everything else is either core-lok or something similar.