Buyer Commitments

Ok, so I had my G19 for sale recently, and someone in Chattanooga (a member who had signed up THAT day), committed to buy my pistol assuming I would meet him halfway to Chattanooga from Nashville. I wasn't down for this. I sold the pistol to another forum member. Am I screwed out of getting feedback for this item now, or is there anyway for me to "un-commit"?

For future transactions, is there anyway to make the committing procedure two-tiered? Where as a seller has to approve a buyer's committment?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree wholeheartedly. Also, when they hit commit, it changes the status of the posting so that others think its off the table.

I would think the easiest fix is to remove that option and let the buyer and seller get in contact to finalize. Buyer then closes the post when all details are ironed out.

Funny, I had a guy from Chattanooga commit to some ammo once and then wanted me to wait till a buddy of his was in the Nashville area to pick it up. No dates established. If you say your going to buy it, freaking buy it. I can understand waiting for the weekend or something but don't tell me you want it and then say, oh, sometime over the next month when my buddy is up there I'll have him meet you and bring the money.

Guest Bronker
Agree wholeheartedly. Also, when they hit commit, it changes the status of the posting so that others think its off the table.

I would think the easiest fix is to remove that option and let the buyer and seller get in contact to finalize. Buyer then closes the post when all details are ironed out.

Funny, I had a guy from Chattanooga commit to some ammo once and then wanted me to wait till a buddy of his was in the Nashville area to pick it up. No dates established. If you say your going to buy it, freaking buy it. I can understand waiting for the weekend or something but don't tell me you want it and then say, oh, sometime over the next month when my buddy is up there I'll have him meet you and bring the money.

Then there was this guy from Dickson who drove to Mt. Juliet to buy ammo from The Man, The Myth, The Legend...RW!:censored:

I like the idea of removing the commit to buy button as well.

Guest Bronker
But you have been committed so many times its just natural for you!

And don't lead the folks on, you had been stalking me for days wondering when I was going to part with that .223 ammo. You just called from around the corner and said "lets meet".:pleased:

Your psychiatrist said it would be good for you. I was at your intervention, remember!?:censored:

Paddle faster...this thread is drifting!:censored:

Guest bkelm18

Yep. I had a guy that just signed up for the classifieds and used the commit to buy on something I had for sale. We talked briefly and he was wanting me to do something I was not willing to do so I said I wouldn't sell it to him. I re-listed the gun and sold it to someone else. The D-Bag left me negative feedback for it. Such is life.

Guest Astra900

I wouldn't worry too much about the feedback system here. It seems pretty easy to tell who's who and what's what for the most part. To have as many members as TGO does, it's a fairly small percentage that actually do much posting. I've had more deals here than I have feedback {cuz some people forget to leave it!:)} Never had any trouble to speak of though.

I did halfway make a deal with a guy once for some brass, talked to him a few times, and I thought we had a done deal.....he vanished. I think he got the boot for starting too much :D IDK?

I met Kahrman today for the first time, bought a trio of antiquities. Nice feller. Heck, everybody I have met up with so far have been top notch gun nutz:D

The feedback system is a cool feature though.

Guest bkelm18
I wouldn't worry too much about the feedback system here. It seems pretty easy to tell who's who and what's what for the most part. To have as many members as TGO does, it's a fairly small percentage that actually do much posting. I've had more deals here than I have feedback {cuz some people forget to leave it!:)} Never had any trouble to speak of though.

I did halfway make a deal with a guy once for some brass, talked to him a few times, and I thought we had a done deal.....he vanished. I think he got the boot for starting too much :D IDK?

I met Kahrman today for the first time, bought a trio of antiquities. Nice feller. Heck, everybody I have met up with so far have been top notch gun nutz:D

The feedback system is a cool feature though.

Oh yeah I agree I could really care less about the feedback thing, I was just agreeing with everyone else that the Commit To Buy button should either be done away with or if its possible make it a two way agreement where the seller accepts the buyers proposal to buy. I don't see it changing though.

• Administrator

You know, it really chaps my butt that the importance of the feedback system is being downplayed when so many people clamored for it not too long ago. It's probably THE reason why we spent the money to go with the classifieds software. :blah:

How about if when a person commits to buy and then reneges on the deal, we ban the sorry SOB for wasting everyone's time?

If you guys are up for that, I'll set up a procedure for it.

You know, it really chaps my butt that the importance of the feedback system is being downplayed when so many people clamored for it not too long ago. It's probably THE reason why we spent the money to go with the classifieds software. :tinfoil:

How about if when a person commits to buy and then reneges on the deal, we ban the sorry SOB for wasting everyone's time?

If you guys are up for that, I'll set up a procedure for it.

Works for me! :blah:

Guest bkelm18

I wouldn't say I downplay the importance of it. Its useful for newer people who don't know everybody here, but for me, and I'm sure others, I rely more on the reputation of people on the board than I do a simple number.

You know, it really chaps my butt that the importance of the feedback system is being downplayed when so many people clamored for it not too long ago. It's probably THE reason why we spent the money to go with the classifieds software. :blah:

Related to that, just noticed that if you go to a specific feedback comment, and click the "(more info)" to get detailed comment, says I don't have rights to view it.

Is this a glitch? If not, why is that extra info even there?

thnx,

- OS

not to criticize, I don't like criticizing without offering a fix.

I found/find the classifieds not very friendly to use. I ain't a computer whiz or tech guy (whatever) but I am not totally ignorant either.

I recently listed a pistol for sale. It took a while to figure it out. Then when I edited the ad it erased comments that had been left.

I had a very hard time with leaving a comment for the purchaser of that pistol too.

Finally got it done but it seemed too hard.

I also am not sure about banning someone who backs out of a buying something. There may be a valid reason for backing out. Maybe get rid of the commit to buy thing all together.

But I do see where it would be frustrating to think you have something sold, show up for the meet and get 'no showed" on. I guess I have been lucky when selling some things here or playing middleman. Never had a problem.

But it is not my home so you all do what you think needs doing.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Administrator

Guys, all of you are presuming that there is a way to remove the Commit to Buy option from the classifieds. There is not. Committing to buy an item is a hard-coded step in the buying/selling process.

I've searched the classified software support forum and there are several people who have requested that it be something we can turn on or off, but so far it has not been turned into a configurable item.

As I have said before, the classifieds here are just a convenience that we try to provide our established members. The primary mission of TGO is not to be a trading post. I'm sorry if this seems like I'm being inflexible, but the bottom line is that right now we just have to deal with the circumstances as they exist. As soon as the Commit to Buy feature is made optional, we'll do away with it.

Guys, all of you are presuming that there is a way to remove the Commit to Buy option from the classifieds. There is not. Committing to buy an item is a hard-coded step in the buying/selling process.

I've searched the classified software support forum and there are several people who have requested that it be something we can turn on or off, but so far it has not been turned into a configurable item.

As I have said before, the classifieds here are just a convenience that we try to provide our established members. The primary mission of TGO is not to be a trading post. I'm sorry if this seems like I'm being inflexible, but the bottom line is that right now we just have to deal with the circumstances as they exist. As soon as the Commit to Buy feature is made optional, we'll do away with it.

I like the feature personally, I was just wondering if there is a way to control it more... As much as I would hate to limit a possible sale of an item, would it be possible to have a post minimum before one could commit to a buy? I know nothing of these matters, so excuse my ignorance of all things interwebs. :blush:

As I have said before, the classifieds here are just a convenience that we try to provide our established members. The primary mission of TGO is not to be a trading post. I'm sorry if this seems like I'm being inflexible, but the bottom line is that right now we just have to deal with the circumstances as they exist.

It works pretty well in spite of any drawbacks. On all sales I have made the "commit to buy" thing was never used anyway. Just a PM to me saying they wanted it along with a phone number to set up the deal always worked well. Of course no one has back out on me yet anyway.

If it is doing all that it can do, no one can really expect more out of it.

...If it is doing all that it can do, no one can really expect more out of it.

It does work, and provides about the only realistic venue to buy/sell gun related stuff within the region. And hard to beat free! And 30/50 thing does indeed give the venue much more integrity.

Again, Tungsten, the question: what is the purpose of the detailed feedback comments, which can't be accessed? Shouldn't one be able to read them, if considering dealing with the party for whom they were left?

- OS

The detailed feedback comments can be accessed. Its not obvious how to access them, but it can be done.

Go to a user's "Classified Profile". There is a "Feedback" link on the page that allows you to see their detailed feedback. If you're not looking for it, its real easy to miss.

The detailed feedback comments can be accessed. Its not obvious how to access them, but it can be done.

Go to a user's "Classified Profile". There is a "Feedback" link on the page that allows you to see their detailed feedback. If you're not looking for it, its real easy to miss.

I see them, just can't open them.

Went to yours, can see the short comment, but the "(more info)" link brings up the "OhShoot, you do not have permission to access this page..."

You can only access the ones LEFT FOR YOU, or ones YOU HAVE LEFT for another. Not a huge deal, just wondered if is a glitch, since it's rather non helpful for only the two parties involved in the transaction to read it, as they already know the score, eh?

- OS

I see them, just can't open them.

Went to yours, can see the short comment, but the "(more info)" link brings up the "OhShoot, you do not have permission to access this page..."

You can only access the ones LEFT FOR YOU, or ones YOU HAVE LEFT for another. Not a huge deal, just wondered if is a glitch, since it's rather non helpful for only the two parties involved in the transaction to read it, as they already know the score, eh?

- OS

Crap -- my bad. Sorry about that OS. I thought I had the answer to your problem.

I obviously misunderstood the problem. I overlooked the "Feedback" link in the past and just assumed everyone makes the same mistake as I did... :hat:

I looked at your feedback and got the same message. All I can see is the +/- and the short comment.

• Administrator

- OS

You've already figured out who can read the detailed explanation of the feedback. It's there for the buyer and the seller, and also the TGO staff. I am not sure how it would add any value to make that available to the public at large, but am willing to entertain the idea if someone can make a persuasive argument for it. :hat:

In my mind, the short eBay style feedback is all that is really essential for the shopper.

You've already figured out who can read the detailed explanation of the feedback. It's there for the buyer and the seller, and also the TGO staff. I am not sure how it would add any value to make that available to the public at large, but am willing to entertain the idea if someone can make a persuasive argument for it. :hat:

In my mind, the short eBay style feedback is all that is really essential for the shopper.

Oh, it doesn't really matter I guess. Just wondered if intentional or a glitch.

Probably just the yenta in me wanting to see details of deals gone wrong.

(although a potential buyer/seller to one of those individuals might indeed gain some additional insight - or not).

- OS