Primed hornady brass

• 3 weeks later...

I would carefully punch out the primers. With worked up loads you would have to start over. If it's all new to you start low and keep your eyes open for high pressure signs. Flattened primers and hard extraction are signs of over pressure. Hornaday to my knowledge does not sell primed brass but there are many things that I'm unaware of. 

It's fairly easy to punch out the live primers with a LEE de capper die, it won't resize them, just punch the primer out.  Go EASY & SLOW, wear PPE, keep your body parts away from the press as best you can.  If you have a Wilson case gage or any brand, you can see if they have been FL sized or not.  Or see if they will fit in your gun without issues.  Some say just load the primered case in gun and pull the trigger to set off the primer, and start over on case prep.

If you have a FL sizing die, could decap and resize with well lubed cases.  Not recommended to actually size cases with live primers.

Why waste the primers? Just remove the decapping pin from the sizing die, and resize with the primer in place. In my case, with Lee dies, I just break off the decapping part and leave the expander. The replacement pin is cheap. Some better dies allow you to remove the decapping pin.

I have tons of primed Lake City brass. No way I am gonna trash a bunch of CCI 43 primers, and then replace them with the same thing.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Why waste the primers? Just remove the decapping pin from the sizing die, and resize with the primer in place. In my case, with Lee dies, I just break off the decapping part and leave the expander. The replacement pin is cheap. Some better dies allow you to remove the decapping pin.

I have tons of primed Lake City brass. No way I am gonna trash a bunch of CCI 43 primers, and then replace them with the same thing.

I've "recylced" live primers, not an issue for me IF I know brand, etc..  Some do, some don't.