DOJ rules that bump stocks ARE machineguns

• Moderators

“The Department of Justice is issuing a rulemaking that would interpret the statutory definition of machine gun in the National Firearms Act of 1934 and Gun Control Act of 1968 to clarify whether certain devices, commonly known as bump-fire stocks, fall within that definition.”

In February, however, President Trump directed Justice to take another look at them, a move that was supported at the time by the NRA. He apparently wanted the ATF to look deeply into the emanations and penumbras of the law to see if, just maybe, there was a way to look at bump fire stocks in a whole new way.

Well, take another look they have, and — to the surprise of no one — now that we’re past the midterms, the DoJ has now classified bump fire stocks as NFA-regulated items, the legal equivalent of a machine gun.

This rule is intended to clarify that the statutory definition of machinegun includes certain devices (i.e., bump-stock-type devices) that, when affixed to a firearm, allow that firearm to fire automatically with a single function of the trigger, such that they are subject to regulation under the National Firearms Act (NFA) and the Gun Control Act (GCA). The rule will amend 27 CFR 447.11, 478.11, and 479.11 to clarify that bump-stock-type devices are machineguns as defined by the NFA and GCA because such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger. Specifically, these devices convert an otherwise semiautomatic firearm into a machinegun by functioning as a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism that harnesses the recoil energy of the semiautomatic firearm in a manner that allows the trigger to reset and continue firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter.

Pay special attention to the bolded portions. They are demonstrably false. Anyone who has one or has shot one or just understands how they function can tell you that the trigger still has to be pulled for each firing of a round  

Full article at the link  

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/11/daniel-zimmerman/breaking-doj-rules-that-bump-fire-stocks-are-now-machineguns-fall-under-nfa-regulation/

Edited by Chucktshoes

No surprise there.

Apparently the ATF is allowed to classify and make decisions about weapons and accessories based on how they are feeling that day. The way they are feeling now is that their boss wants bump fire stocks banned; so that is what they will do.

• Moderators

If my last comment wasn't clear, it was expressing disgust that Trump could have easily thought to himself "Republican House, Republican Senate, I'm going the blame Vegas (amongst all other mass shootings) on the perpetrator and not the equipment used. No anti-gun stuff will happen in the current climate".

Guess what! He didn't! Instead he predicted, encouraged, and even called for bump stocks to be banned.

So...in 100% honesty, what did Obama ever actually accomplish that was anywhere near this?

Yeah....it's a damned shame Hillary isn't President now. :stare: Sadly, we had few options. Thanks for rubbing everyone's nose in it.

CORRECTION: New Bump Fire Stock Regulation Not Published Yet in Federal Register or Final

It appears they've jumped the gun just a bit, but I doubt it matters.

Edited by gregintenn
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Yeah....it's a damned shame Hillary isn't President now. :stare: Sadly, we had few options. Thanks for rubbing everyone's nose in it.

It appears they've jumped the gun just a bit, but I doubt it matters.

The bottom line is that our President, supposedly the savior of the 2nd Amendment, encouraged and pushed for this to happen. He went on record multiple times saying it. Had Obama done the same thing we would have had multiple threads and 100 angry responses. The gun community would be livid right now. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

The bottom line is that our President, supposedly the savior of the 2nd Amendment, encouraged and pushed for this to happen. He went on record multiple times saying it. Had Obama done the same thing we would have had multiple threads and 100 angry responses. The gun community would be livid right now. 

I don't know, when the Green Tip thing went out there was about the same response.  Some of us wrote comments (to both issues) and there were a bunch of angry threads about both.  But the over all mentality of gun owners has been, and probably will continue, "if it doesn't affect me...". 

I am upset that he leaned that way, but I also felt that it was inevitable, he is a politician after all.  I will still write in to the ATF, and voice my opposition, mainly because it is not going to matter, a stick or belt loop can be used the same way and it will then be the way you use a weapon instead of the design that makes it an auto, pistol, rifle etc.  The brace, light triggers, custom springs are on this slope, and the slipperier it gets, the more it can take down with it. 

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I got it! I'm not happy about it. Not sure what to do about it.

1 hour ago, Raoul said:

I wouldn't depend on the Donald GOP to be much of a protector of the 2A. At least not if he can get the result he wants by tossing us slightly under the bus.

Fixed that for you. 

Parties change. Things happen. I would not be surprised if the GOP flips on this issue in my lifetime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Fixed that for you. 

Parties change. Things happen. I would not be surprised if the GOP flips on this issue in my lifetime.

On that we can agree, Erik.

I do not like the Republican party. Today, however, they are preferable to the Democrat party. That's as far as my loyalty goes with them.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

On that we can agree, Erik.

I do not like the Republican party. Today, however, they are preferable to the Democrat party. That's as far as my loyalty goes with them.

I'm OK with true Repubs, it's the RINO's I have no use for. As you say, they are preferable to any dem.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

I'm OK with true Repubs, it's the RINO's I have no use for. As you say, they are preferable to any dem.

I'll go a bit further. I'll take a Joe Manchin over a Jeff Flake or John McCain any day. The problem is that there is only one Joe Manchin left. He's a crook, but still a better guy than the rest of the democrats and several republicans.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I'll go a bit further. I'll take a Joe Manchin over a Jeff Flake or John McCain any day. The problem is that there is only one Joe Manchin left. He's a crook, but still a better guy than the rest of the democrats and several republicans.

Yeah, got rid of McCain & flake & now we have the twit mitt.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

What exactly is a true republican?  I’m being serious.  

There is a distinct difference between political parties and what the vast majority of Americans truly believe and want.  

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Admin Team
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

There is a distinct difference between political parties and what the vast majority of Americans truly believe and want.  

Truth. 

Empire is hard.  So is math.

The political reality of 2018 is that if you’re going to keep the lights on and the toilets flushing, both parties are really constrained in what they can actually hope to do. And, that’s even further constrained by what they can pass - even when they’ve got their hands on all the levers of power as the GOP recently has.  

The American path - in this late stage capitalism is largely determined.  Either party can deviate maybe a couple of degrees in either direction. But, you’re staying on the path.

Rhetoric is easy though - and it works.  

I’d love to see the average American really figure out that the political class at large - not simply the other party is just feeding them rhetoric to keep them punching down and focused elsewhere while they continue to loot the place. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I’d love to see the average American really figure out that the political class at large - not simply the other party is just feeding them rhetoric to keep them punching down and focused elsewhere while they continue to loot the place. 

Sad truth, not gona happen.

4 hours ago, Garufa said:

Just my opinion.

Pro Life

Pro 2nd Amendment

Believes & follows the Constitution.

Small Govt.

Fiscally Responsible.

Lower Taxes

Encourage Business both small & large.

I'm sure I missed some things, thanks for the question.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 4