maroonandwhite

Choosing a rifle for my son.

Hi Bersa,

In your statement above you say, " Well, needless to say the recoil was about like a 12 guage 3 inch Mag round which I was not really expecting and it hit my shoulder fairly hard. "

A 12 gauge 3 inch mag has about 5 times the recoil (in ft-lbs) vs a 30-30.    On average about 53 vs 10, so I don't know where you got that from, but your story was, as always, very fun and interesting!

Q

.243 or .25-06.  .257 is a nice round, but ammo availability will be limited.  The 6.5s and .260 with certain loads can be annoying in all but heavy sniper/varmint rifles if you are really recoil sensitive.  Can't go wrong with a 70 or 700.  Also, watch Bass Pro--they occasionally have a Browning A-Bolt II for $600 or so.  The A-Bolt III and X-Bolt are more I believe.  I have an AB2 .243 and it's a lightweight, light kicking shooter.  I also have a Model 70 .30-06 and it feels about the same as a friend's Savage .300 Winchester Mag.  The little Browning is a joy to shoot.  

@Hozzie is right.  It doesn’t make much sense to buy something with the intent of it being an heirloom.  Too many emotions and variables long term.

Get what you want and a good .22 rifle to teach and have fun with.  If it takes then whatever you used may or may not become something to be treasured.

And get something in a normal caliber.  One that ammo is widely available for and will be a long time.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By reed1285
      Alright, going through a real first-world problem here folks! I am looking at purchasing my first 308 chambered AR rifle in the near future. I am looking to spend around the $1k mark, which obviously limits my choices some. The rifle will be used for hunting and the occasional range session. So far I have looked at these options: PSA Gen 2 build (the cheapest option, so room in the budget for an optic), a Savage MSR 10 Hunter (really like the way this rifle looks), a S&W M&P 10 or M&P 10 Sport, and the Springfield Saint Victor. So far the Springfield I think has the narrow lead over the Savage.
      Just looking for input, let's talk! Any other rifles I should be considering that I haven't listed besides Diamondback?
    • By sawilson005
      Hello to all... I'm new here and have come for a little advice. I'm looking to purchase my first ar15. Probably gonna go the used route. Been looking at a couple different ones, trying to keep it under $550 or so since it's my first and don't want to break the bank starting out. Been looking at a Smith & Wesson M+P 15 sport II, or an ATI AR-15 or Savage MSR-15 Patrol. Any help or advice is appreciated. 
    • By RC3
      It pains me to say this, but I need some help in finding a lever action rifle. I shot my friends marlin 30-30 and for all the #### I have given him over the years for having a "cowboy gun", it sure was a blast. What are some good brands and models and what to stay away from. This is will be a range toy, so .357 or .44 would be cool. .45-70 would be way out there, but looks to be the most fun.

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines