Bullet strikes officer's service weapon

Erik88

I am sure glad my parents moved me from that city before it became the sewer hole it is today. Yea it had a few bad areas folks knew to stay out of back when I lived up there but it was a Kindergarden Class compared to what it is today. I use to date a girl that lived in Blue Island in south Chicago and that was only about 25 blocks from where that hospital shooting took place yesterday. Her mother and fathers were doctors so you know it was an upperclass neighborhood back then. Today i'ts a ghetto controlled by 2 or 3 different gangs. 

I don't know if there is anything that can be done to help that city now. A new Mayor and Police Commissioner(Maybe an ex Seal) that will hire about 500 more police officers and then un-tie the hands of the ones now working and tell them to do what it takes to get the city back would be the only option I see...............JMHO

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, tacops said:

Looks like he dropped a bit of Hershey bar in his holster...last June.

Hell, I’m sure he dropped some Hershey bar in his pants....

...that night!

I hope he wore his brown ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

It does to me.

By the looks of the holster it hit the slide slightly behind the ejection port where the brass/copper coloring is.  I'm guessing they recovered the slug a laid it where it's resting in the image on the right.  Other possibility is it deflected and has wedged slightly between the frame and slide.

I'm also guessing the officer was carrying a long gun thus the reason for his side arm being holstered.

4721722_111918-wls-bullet-in-gun-img.jpg

7 hours ago, Omega said:

It looks to me like the projectile took out the front sight, not dusty, but scarred.  It also looks like copper, residue on top of the slide, so maybe the bullet was going downward??

Seems like the front sight is still there to me. I can see the white dot pretty clearly. Check your eyes man 😉😄

44 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Seems like the front sight is still there to me. I can see the white dot pretty clearly. Check your eyes man 😉😄

Ha, yes, I see it now.  Must be my non bifocals contacts playing tricks on me. 

This wasn’t a case of gun violence; this was a case of domestic violence. It shows just how deadly a person having emotional problems can be, even willing to kill innocent bystanders on their way out.

I have no doubt that this man had made up his mind he was ready to die. And once he pulled that gun, the only thing that was going to stop him was a second gun. Luckily for those in the area cops were there and engaged him quickly. Unfortunately he killed one of those Officers engaging him and an innocent woman getting off the elevator.

This was a 32 year old grown azz man that was ready to kill because of a failed romance. Not just ready to kill her, but ready to kill anyone in the area.

He had no criminal record and whether or not he obtained the gun legally; it appears he would have been able to.

So was he a law abiding citizen? Absolutely not. He had a FOID card, carry permit, and at one point was a licensed security guard. However while training at the Chicago Fire Academy he was fired for his aggressive conduct toward women. He threatened to shoot the place up if he was fired. Officials were aware of his remarks but did nothing. Not even an entry in his record. Police were not notified.

He chased a neighbor while armed with a gun. His ex-wife got an order of protection. Again, no arrest.

The victim’s attorneys are going to have a field day with this and the citizens of the state will get to pay the bill.

Two cases of threatening people with deadly force and no arrest. I was a Police Officer many years ago and we would have made an arrest in both these cases. Would it have changed things? Who knows, but it might have.

When will we learn, we don’t need more gun laws; we need to enforce the laws we have. Threatening someone with a gun in Illinois is Aggravated Assault; a felony. This man should have been a convicted felon.

Normal people don’t make threats to shoot a place up or to kill someone. Those threats can’t be disregarded as an emotional reaction or that they didn’t mean it. Arrest them, charge them, remove their guns, and if they didn’t mean it let a Judge or jury decide that and decide how it will be handled.

Or…people can continue to call this “gun violence” and try to take the guns away from innocent people that need the ability to protect themselves, their families and the innocent people around them when one of these nut cases that the system has failed to deal with acts out.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

This wasn’t a case of gun violence; this was a case of domestic violence. It shows just how deadly a person having emotional problems can be, even willing to kill innocent bystanders on their way out.

I have no doubt that this man had made up his mind he was ready to die. And once he pulled that gun, the only thing that was going to stop him was a second gun. Luckily for those in the area cops were there and engaged him quickly. Unfortunately he killed one of those Officers engaging him and an innocent woman getting off the elevator.

This was a 32 year old grown azz man that was ready to kill because of a failed romance. Not just ready to kill her, but ready to kill anyone in the area.

He had no criminal record and whether or not he obtained the gun legally; it appears he would have been able to.

So was he a law abiding citizen? Absolutely not. He had a FOID card, carry permit, and at one point was a licensed security guard. However while training at the Chicago Fire Academy he was fired for his aggressive conduct toward women. He threatened to shoot the place up if he was fired. Officials were aware of his remarks but did nothing. Not even an entry in his record. Police were not notified.

He chased a neighbor while armed with a gun. His ex-wife got an order of protection. Again, no arrest.

The victim’s attorneys are going to have a field day with this and the citizens of the state will get to pay the bill.

Two cases of threatening people with deadly force and no arrest. I was a Police Officer many years ago and we would have made an arrest in both these cases. Would it have changed things? Who knows, but it might have.

When will we learn, we don’t need more gun laws; we need to enforce the laws we have. Threatening someone with a gun in Illinois is Aggravated Assault; a felony. This man should have been a convicted felon.

Normal people don’t make threats to shoot a place up or to kill someone. Those threats can’t be disregarded as an emotional reaction or that they didn’t mean it. Arrest them, charge them, remove their guns, and if they didn’t mean it let a Judge or jury decide that and decide how it will be handled.

Or…people can continue to call this “gun violence” and try to take the guns away from innocent people that need the ability to protect themselves, their families and the innocent people around them when one of these nut cases that the system has failed to deal with acts out.

You have hit a nail directly on the head Dave. Again all the signs were there that this person should have been arrested for actions previous to this one.

Authorities failed to act on any of the warning signs and once again guns will be blamed and not the failure by the authorities to do their job. Maybe one day authorities will quit ignoring warnings like these and act on them. When he threatened to shoot up the Chicago Fire Academy they should have arrested him right then. It's strange how the states with the toughest laws are the ones that fail the most to enforce them!!!!

41 minutes ago, Pain103 said:

That crud on the pistol is the lining of the holster. Same stuff on all the Safariland duty holsters. I would bet when that holster was shot the liner broke apart along with the heat caused it to stick on the gun. 

The “crud” I see is dust and lint.  I would bet that pistol hasn’t been out of a holster since the last yearly qualification.