MPD Director wants to roll back guns in cars

https://wreg.com/2018/11/19/mpd-director-rallings-wants-lawmakers-to-repeal-guns-in-cars/?fbclid=IwAR2Ok4h-cOXgwX1zg-MXeJ4DQ59I-g2UcY9WZpQjvnxJsoZmRYpVgPfw-Rk

Thousands of guns are in the hands of criminals in Memphis and the police director blames lawmakers.

So far this year, three guns are reported stolen out of cars on average every day in Memphis.

“Unfortunately, I do think the number will continue to grow,” said Director Michael Rallings. “It’s three times higher than it was in 2013. 358 compared to 1,104.”

In 2013, state lawmakers passed a law that went into effect the following year allowing drivers to carry lawfully owned firearms in their cars without a carry permit.

“Many of these young man we have talk to they go out purposefully looking to find guns in cars,” said Rallings.

He said the stats prove it. You can see this year, the highest number yet of guns reported stolen out of cars.

“Extending the house to the car was not a good idea in his have negative consequences,” he said. “If we removed the access to these guns, you know criminal access, we will probably be able to nicely reduce the amount of crimes that are being committed.”

State Rep. Mark White, R-East Memphis, supported the law, but plans on meeting with Rallings before the next legislative session.

“It was a law passed for the law-abiding. Make them feel more comfortable especially those who had to drive to and from work,” he said. “Director Rallings, our police director for the city of Memphis, we need to listen to him. We are all for second amendment rights. I am for second amendment rights. That also means responsible gun ownership.”

Rallings said he as well as other law enforcement officials across the state will fight to repeal the law.

“This is not about fringing upon anyone’s second amendment right. I believe in supporting the second amendment. I think we are just asking for a reasonable legislation, reasonable gun control,” he said.

Once again, the MPD is blaming the victim for the crime rather than the criminal themselves.   Last year MPD started issuing tickets to people that left their cars running or unlocked when at gas stations and the like.  The idea then was to stop car thefts.  I imagine next Director Rallings will be asking women to leave their sexual organs at home to stop rapes.  

5 minutes ago, Raoul said:

I don't think that's the point at all. What's the ratio of car break-ins to home break-ins do you think?

I was being a bit facetious, but criminals are gonna get their guns from somewhere. If people aren't going to leave them in cars anymore, the criminals are gonna go to the next easy place. 

Edited by peejman

When I get in my car my gun gets in my car. When I get out of my car my gun gets out with me. If you don't have a carry permit buy a gun safe for the car and when you get out of the car anyplace but at home lock gun in safe. When you come home gun goes in house. Not to much to ask I don't think.

• Like 1

Will the Police Director make sure the Police are there when innocent Citizens get mugged or car jacked and need protection from being killed? Of course not. If he could he would make sure they catch the car burglars he’s whining about.

The law was passed to extend your right to protect yourself to your vehicle. The fact that he can’t control the burglaries doesn’t trump that.

“Many of these young man we have talk to they go out purposefully looking to find guns in cars,” said Rallings.

I have an idea… put them in jail after they tell you that….and keep them there for awhile.   :slap:

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, peejman said:

He's probably right in that if guns aren't in cars anymore, the number of car burglaries will go down. But I'd guess the number of home burglaries will go up, and the potential collateral damage of a home burglary is MUCH higher than a car. 

Collateral Damage? Much better chance bad guy gets shot also. just saying.

• Like 1

I left a loaded gun in my squad car when I was a cop. Had it been stolen from by locked squad would it have been my fault? Of course not. And as a private citizen it won’t be my fault if one is stolen from locked vehicle. Many people leave their guns in their cars because they go into work or places that don’t allow guns. But if something happens they still have a chance if they can get to their car.

Asking or requiring me to lock it in a safe in my locked vehicle is asking too much.

• Like 2

Rallings needs to get criminals off the streets, not guns.  If he can't do the job he should step aside and let someone try.

Recently I read that a customer was beat and robbed outside a business in memphis.  MPD had cameras in the parking lot, but that doesn't do much to prevent or disrupt crimes in progress.

I believe  in reasonable gun control - I practice it on a regular basis.  

Edited by tnhawk
1 hour ago, peejman said:

So he'd prefer they start breaking into houses to get guns instead of unoccupied cars?

They are already doing that and I doubt the rate of home burglaries has declined since more people started leaving guns in their cars.

• Like 2

The problem is I have heard about many guns being taken from cars that aren't even locked or alarms being set. I will defend someone that leaves their gun out of sight in a locked car with the alarm set, but no excuse for an unlocked car........JMHO

4 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

The problem is I have heard about many guns being taken from cars that aren't even locked or alarms being set. I will defend someone that leaves their gun out of sight in a locked car with the alarm set, but no excuse for an unlocked car........JMHO

That's right.  You deserved to have your stuff stolen.   

This

4 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

https://wreg.com/2018/11/19/mpd-director-rallings-wants-lawmakers-to-repeal-guns-in-cars/?fbclid=IwAR2Ok4h-cOXgwX1zg-MXeJ4DQ59I-g2UcY9WZpQjvnxJsoZmRYpVgPfw-Rk

Once again, the MPD is blaming the victim for the crime rather than the criminal themselves.   Last year MPD started issuing tickets to people that left their cars running or unlocked when at gas stations and the like.  The idea then was to stop car thefts.  I imagine next Director Rallings will be asking women to leave their sexual organs at home to stop rapes.  

Just another way for the left to take away our rights!!! It is not about where the bad guys get their guns.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I left a loaded gun in my squad car when I was a cop. Had it been stolen from by locked squad would it have been my fault? Of course not. And as a private citizen it won’t be my fault if one is stolen from locked vehicle. Many people leave their guns in their cars because they go into work or places that don’t allow guns. But if something happens they still have a chance if they can get to their car.

Asking or requiring me to lock it in a safe in my locked vehicle is asking too much.

This x10

I leave a G21 in my truck. It's not ideal but I've found a pretty good hiding spot for it. I also work in a place that's very unlikely to have people breaking into cars. I can't carry at work and I don't want to drive around unarmed so what should I do? When I go someplace more risky I don't leave it in the truck. At night, I park in my garage(this is that room attached to most houses with the roll up door. Most people use it for junk).

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1