Give Gun To Grandson

pop pop

My grandson has moved to Florida and I am in Mid TN. He just turned 21 and I am giving my gun collection to my children and grandchildren.

My question. Do I need to take the gun to Florida, and have it go through a FFL then have a background check, or can I just give it to him to take home with him? He is visiting TN this week. These are guns I have owned for years. 

You cannot give a gun to someone that lives in another state unless it goes through an FFL. You would have to ship it to an FFL down there. Or if you wait until you pass I think he could inherit them without an FFL. At least that's how I recall it. 

@dralarms, I thought the inheritance only applied after passing? I may be wrong though.

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

You cannot give a gun to someone that lives in another state unless it goes through an FFL. You would have to ship it to an FFL down there. Or if you wait until you pass I think he could inherit them without an FFL. At least that's how I recall it. 

@dralarms, I thought the inheritance only applied after passing? I may be wrong though.

You are correct. 

Are you sure those guns were not his already and you were just storing them for him?  I mean didn't he inherit them from you before he moved?

Don't know FL law anymore and the age reqirements or TN requirements for that matter but I guess the purchase date would have to jive with his age and date he moved.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Inherit is the wrong term I think.

He gave them to me when I lived in FL a long time ago. I just never had a need or place to store all of them at the time so he held them for me.

I still have a few more to get next time I drive down.

I think you're technically breaking the law. I'm not judging, just pointing it out.

I wouldn't post it on an open forum. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

Possibly but it's actually the truth.

He has a bunch of my things including some guns.

I've moved around so much it's just been easier to have him hang on to my stuff.

I kinda studied up on it a bit before I flew a gun I left with him in FL to OR awhile back.

Couldn't find anything against it in the Law at the time.

This is a common situation for Military personnel and people who travel for work for extended times.

Transfer laws in OR now make this impossible among friends and difficult with family members.

You can't even lend a gun now there so you sure can't store one for somebody unless it's a wife or son if I remember. 

Hopefully laws in FL haven't changed since my last visit but I will check it out for sure beforehand. 

And for sure, if not sure....

Loose lips sink ships.

Edited by OLDNEWBIE
5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I think you're technically breaking the law. I'm not judging, just pointing it out.

I wouldn't post it on an open forum. 

Ownership would be mighty difficult to prove in court, and I can't imagine a scenerio where anyone would pursue it.

As I understand the F-Troop rules, you can loan a firearm to any non-prohibited person in any other state without doing a transfer. A loan doesn't have to have an end date, but must be done without payment or other compensation.

@pop pop, if I'm right then you can loan your firearms to your kids and grandkids in other states, but they won't actually own them. When you die, you can leave them to them as an inheritance and there's no requirement for an FFL transfer. They're theirs to use as much as they want until you die, then they become their actual property through inheritance.

Disclaimer: Sit tight. OS will be along to confirm or refute this statement

Edited by monkeylizard
12 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

As I understand the F-Troop rules, you can loan a firearm to any non-prohibited person in any other state without doing a transfer. A loan doesn't have to have an end date, but must be done without payment or other compensation.

@pop pop, if I'm right then you can loan your firearms to your kids and grandkids in other states, but they won't actually own them.

Correct, but in the unlikely event the law wanted to get persnickety,  the preponderance of evidence would need to be that the loan is only "for temporary use for sporting purposes". So get some witnesses that you pop some tin cans with it or something. :)  And what's reasonable for "temporary"? I dunno.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

@pop pop, if I'm right then you can loan your firearms to your kids and grandkids in other states, but they won't actually own them. When you die, you can leave them to them as an inheritance and there's no requirement for an FFL transfer. They're theirs to use as much as they want until you die, then they become their actual property through inheritance.

Disclaimer: Sit tight. OS will be along to confirm or refute this statement

Not in Oregon anymore.

A loan is a transfer and requires you go through an FFL unless I misunderstood what all the fuss was about before I moved away. 

Close family might have been an exception.